Feeblemind

Gas prices and Jump Ticket Prices

Well oil and gas prices are on the rise again so whats do you think is going to happen to our jump ticket prices?

We saw the prices spike in 2008/2009 and tickets went up. Even though fuel dropped most jump ticket prices remained higher.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

POV from somebody on another continent:
Jump ticket to 10k (Cessna DZ) went to 30 Euros ~ 43$.

They will come back down when fuel does just like last time.

Not they will not. Like all other commodities, prices just go up. Never down. When fuel prices drop, there is more money left to the aircraft owner/DZO, and people already "got used" to the price.
Start of this season was weak... [:/]
dudeist skydiver #42

POV from somebody on another continent:
Jump ticket to 10k (Cessna DZ) went to 30 Euros ~ 43$.

They will come back down when fuel does just like last time.

Not they will not. Like all other commodities, prices just go up. Never down. When fuel prices drop, there is more money left to the aircraft owner/DZO, and people already "got used" to the price.
Start of this season was weak... [:/]

I think this person was being sarcastic. ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

>Raise tandem prices, and leave us experienced jumpers alone!

Might have the opposite as desired effect. If tandem prices at dropzone A go up, and tandem prices at dropzone B don't (or go up less) then B may get all the tandem business - leaving only the experienced jumpers at dropzone A to cover _all_ the DZ costs.

I was not being sarcastic. At my DZ, Bay Area Skydiving, prices went back down to $17/ticket when fuel prices came down. Our DZO has no interest in keeping our tickets up when fuel prices come down.

To our advantage we have a local DZ that seems to remain at $15/ticket even during fuel escalation.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Currently paying $25 to 12k in a 182 and 206. Is that to much?

No, count your lucky stars you are not paying more than $30 or up to $50.

Airplanes are not cheap, they are very expensive and only getting more expensive.

It is not just the fuel that is going up in price.

If you were paying US$7 a gallon to fill your car and US$35 for a jump then you might be on par with much of the rest of the world.

I think it is just a case of america having it too easy for too long
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Raise tandem prices, and leave us experienced jumpers alone!

In some type of selfish utopia that might be possible, or if you work for ma and do not have to pay for any jumps.

But in all seriousness if skydivers want to remain sport jumping, they will have to pull their weight.

I have seen a a few tandem factories where sport jumpers are shunned, there are more tandem customers that can be done in the daylight hours paying $3-400 each and the fun jumoer only brings in $40 or so...

Do the maths, personally I cannot see how some dz's manage to continue to operate, a twin otter with 2 pt6-27's with 20 people paying $20.

that is only $400 to take a multi million dollar aircraft up and pay the sevicing the fuel and make a profit...

I cannot see how that is possible but the economics here in NZ are somewhat different with commodities being much more expensive.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

No, you are paying a fair price. Specially if your DZ keeps aircraft maintenance up to date. I wouldn't sell a slot to 12k for less them $30, given the actual fuel and maintenance prices in US.

Here is a break down of your jump ticket based on a small DZ, flying a C-182 with Continental O-470 series, 300 hours/year (2400 heads/year, 8 heads/hour or 4 heads/load) and going to 10K MSL.

->Firewall forward OH reserve ( engine, prop, mags, carb, gov, engine mount, start, gen/alt, exaust, bafflings and etc): $25000 / 1500 hours / 8 = $0.26;
->Typical annual costs: $2500 / 2400 = $1.04;
->Aircraft Insurance and liability: $5500 / 2400 = $2.08;
->Fuel per load (avg) 7gl x $5.50 / 4 = $9.62;
->Pilot: $10 / 4 = $2.5;
->Extras parts, oil changes, unscheduled maintenance and top OH: $15 p/h / 8 = $1.8;
->100 hours inspection: 12 hours x $65 x 3 / 2400 = $0.97;
->C-182 airframe depreciation: $5 / 8 = $0.62

Direct total cost (not including office expences, ground crew, rent, facilities, utilities, taxes, free beer and etc...) : $19.00

Each DZ is different. There are more efficient, low cost and/or high volume operations out there. There are shortcuts too. >:(

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

Raise tandem prices, and leave us experienced jumpers alone!

Why?
What's so special that we as jumpers should be exempt from COL increases?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We're paying $45.00 AUD ($43.00 USD) for a 14k load slot. I expect that to increase as uel goes up, also we are about to introduce a "Carbon Tax" which will drive fuel prices higher yet sgain.
I can foresee $50.00 lift tickets very soon.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We're paying $45.00 AUD ($43.00 USD) for a 14k load slot. I expect that to increase as uel goes up, also we are about to introduce a "Carbon Tax" which will drive fuel prices higher yet sgain.
I can foresee $50.00 lift tickets very soon.

:o:o:oB|
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

In the US 28% of fuel cost is tax imposed by different government agencies. In New Zealand 47 to 51% of fuel costs are taxes. Now whose fault is that?
Why must you bring US bashing into every conversation?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky

Mostly because youv need a good bashing you arogant bastards>:(

:ph34r: Hi sparky, how ya been:)

Rhys is correct in saying you guys do get it good on fuel costs, your prices are half what we pay. But your demand for fuel per population is 14 times that of OZ, So your buying power is probably a whole lot better than ours
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sparky

:ph34r: Hi sparky, how ya been:)

Rhys is correct in saying you guys do get it good on fuel costs, your prices are half what we pay. But your demand for fuel per population is 14 times that of OZ, So your buying power is probably a whole lot better than ours

Doing great for an old man Squeak, and how about you?
When you are trying to leave the largest carbon footprint possible you need the lower prices to effect the goal. How are we doing so far? ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No, count your lucky stars you are not paying more than $30 or up to $50.

Airplanes are not cheap, they are very expensive and only getting more expensive.

It is not just the fuel that is going up in price.

If you were paying US$7 a gallon to fill your car and US$35 for a jump then you might be on par with much of the rest of the world.

Exactly.

It's £6.36 a (real) gallon for diesel over here now>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Exactly and this thing applies to a lot of other things as well, US really does have it easy and good on most things compared to the rest..
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus