chuckakers

This guy insisted he was ok to jump a Velo

Damn. You tried, you all tried... what a shame.

Was he at a different DZ and on that Velo? I.e. did he change canopies at all and did he move his jumping elsewhere so as to be able to keep being reckless?

I was wrong. He lived.

The lesson here is one that's really hard to teach to the new guys because they never want to believe that it's true.

The lesson is that just because you get away with something once, or in this case for 5 months, doesn't mean that you made the right choice in the first place. In too many cases, guys will look at one or two successful (non-injury) jumps, and call that 'proof' that they made a good choice, and that's just not true. All that shows is that you 'got away with it' for those few jumps, not that it was indeed a good choice.

So back in April this guy had 280 jumps and wasn't ready for a Velo, and now, when had another 5 months worth of jumps (which equals what in KS, 150 at most?) he still wasn't ready with 450 jumps. Even if his first jump on a Velo was when he had 450 jumps, that's just too much canopy for that number of jumps, and there are many, many better choices for jumpers with that level of experience.

I was wrong. He lived.

He survived THAT jump... Give him and his mad skills more time grasshopper.

My experience is that a femur is usually followed by a permanent introduction to bowling. Not many come back for a second bite at the cherry.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

But the real question on everyone's mind...

Who had September 9th?

He's not dead. It's called Bounce Bingo, not Got Hurt Bingo.

True story...and I even thought about that as I was posting it.

Still, perhaps we should revise the rules. Seems there ought to be a small payout of the pool for someone who called the day of the (first) femur. (Kinda like getting 5 numbers correct, but not the Powerball). [:/]B|
Signatures are the new black.

True story...and I even thought about that as I was posting it.

Still, perhaps we should revise the rules. Seems there ought to be a small payout of the pool for someone who called the day of the (first) femur. (Kinda like getting 5 numbers correct, but not the Powerball). [:/]B|

I'm just thinking... Maybe his Velo is available? We can always use more names on the list? :S
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Does anyone know any facts about this incident other than his canopy?

Or is it the usual dz.com canopy nazi feeding frenzy based on no information?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

canopy nazi feeding frenzy

Still touchy about the canopy advice tendered to you for exactly the same reasons, about a year or so ago huh!!.

And still bulletproof.

Well done.

Way to totally ignore (and prove) my point.

Not bulletproof, but not injured.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Way to totally ignore (and prove) my point.

You come on here, and call people who sound warnings and give advice to inexperienced jumpers, for their own safety "canopy nazis".

After resisting all efforts to educate you on the same issue not long ago, when you were similarly inexperienced.

And you are surprised??.

Yet.

But of course you take that as proof of your skill. Just like Sangi and the guy this thread is about.

I wish you luck.

Yet.

But of course you take that as proof of your skill. Just like Sangi and the guy this thread is about.

I wish you luck.

So at what number of jumps will I be unlucky to be injured vs. being a dickhead who was going too fast in canopy progression

~ CanuckInUSA

Does anyone know any facts about this incident other than his canopy?

That would be the incidents forum. This forum is for discussing General Skydiving issues like "Canopy Nazism".

Or is it the usual dz.com canopy nazi feeding frenzy based on no information?

So, are you saying you're interested in his old Velo? I think I saw it posted in the classifieds...

"Used Velo, very small/cool, jumped once - never landed, slight stain". B|

You lost this battle once! Why go down that road again?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

So at what number of jumps will I be unlucky to be injured vs. being a dickhead who was going too fast in canopy progression

It will never be "unlucky."
At some point it will progress from "shouldn't have been doing that, didn't know what he was doing" to "He fucked up. He should have known better."

Dunno the exact numbers, but probably somewhere over 1k.
And yes, I know you devote most (all?) of your jumps to canopy flight.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yet.

I wish you luck.

Once a dickhead always a dickhead.:D

Yet.

I wish you luck.

Once a dickhead always a dickhead.:D

You know, when Spence is right, he's right.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yet.

I wish you luck.

I never broke anything and never had to have any surgeries due to swooping or skydiving in general.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yet.

I wish you luck.

I never broke anything and never had to have any surgeries due to swooping or skydiving in general.

Maybe you approached it with a bit more forethought and planning, and didn't overestimate your ability or mad skillz, at the same time underestimating the risk..

Or maybe someone gave you a boot in the arse earlier in your career.

Or maybe you just got lucky.

But as long as you skydive, it'll still be on the cards.