Shredex

DZ Camping. What's your setup?

Just curious to see what other people use for camping out at the DZ. Suggestions, Reviews...I'm all ears!
I've slowly been collecting and improving my experience as I go. Started with a Ozark Trail 5x6 tent and after a few nights learned quickly that it just wasn't going to do :|

So! Here is what I've got so far:
Ozark Trail 10'x8' - $50
[URL]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-8-Backpacking-Tent/20440564[/url]
Say's it's a 5 person tent, reality, if you've got gear you can fit 2 very comfortably in there, or 4 if it is two couples.
Pros: Size
Cons: Pack size

Coleman 40-60F Sleeping Bag - $26
[URL]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Alpine-3-lb-Sleeping-Bag/16539542[/url]
Pros: It's very comfortable and keeps me warm even in very cold nights.
Cons: It packs large(10''x16'') and difficult to pack back into the bag(Good practice for packing chutes lol)

Alpine Microlite 45F Sleeping Bag - $25
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11763021
Pros: It packs super small(6''x9'') and is VERY easy to put in the bag. Good in warm weather.
Cons: There is like no cushioning so you must having some sort of sleeping pat/mat.

Ozark Trail Camp Pillow - $7
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Camp-Pillow/17808720
Pros: It's small and fits perfect inside my G2 helmet for storing.
Cons: It's a pathetic pillow to say the least but it gets the job done if you fold it in half.

Ozark Trail Hobo Tool(Spoon/Fork) - $3
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Hobo-Tool/19718066
Pros: The fork and spoon sides come apart so you can use them individually. Has can/cork/bottle opener, and some random thingy
Cons: N/A

Coleman Queen Single High Air Bed - $25
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Queen-Single-High-Air-Bed/16539576
Just bought it, haven't gotten to use it yet. Anyone have experience with one?

And some other random tidbits like hiking backpack, lunchbox, bed sheet, flashlights, towel, shampoo, blah blah ect.

What all do you guys use?

2007 Honda Odyssey with rear seats removed and a full sized air bed. just enough room for the cooler and bag of clothes and laptop/cameras... Cut out a 1.8 th plywood frame for the pax window and cut out a shaped hole for the window AC unit.

Roll up unload jump gear and install AC unit and plug in. Even have small dvd video system in there.... works great for a mini RV.:)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Back of my tiny old SUV is converted into a bed. The seats are down with ply wood and 4" of padding over them with two sleeping bags, a body pillow to keep me away from the sides of the car and a regular pillow. Stuff goes in the front two seats if I'm in the back. Love my set up.

I did the tent thing both in tiny tent and taj ma tent with all kinds of air mattresses and shit. Never took proper care of them b/c was too lazy to clean them properly after the trip.

A 31' Coachman RV with a slideout. It's nothing like what Spence has, but it's all we need for a few days of travel.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

...Started with a Ozark Trail 5x6 tent and after a few nights learned quickly that it just wasn't going to do....

But isn't that a neat and simple tent? Only 2 poles, and really easy to set up. Of course I'm 6'-2" so I guess everyone can figure out the math - there wasn't much room. I have the next bigger sized tent now, but I'm disappointed. They lose their simplicity when they get bigger. I still have the 5x6 though...

I really kinda like the camping :] I never got to ever do it in my life...very boring childhood...so it's a new experience for me.
It does get hot during the day but I'm not in it then (busy skydiving ;p). I just open up all the vents and leave it. It cools down by the time I go back to it at about 10pm.

But isn't that a neat and simple tent? Only 2 poles, and really easy to set up. Of course I'm 6'-2" so I guess everyone can figure out the math - there wasn't much room. I have the next bigger sized tent now, but I'm disappointed. They lose their simplicity when they get bigger. I still have the 5x6 though...

I like the little guy! It's really "all" I need and I can fit diagonally just fine...but sitting up was hurting my back cause I had to hunch over. I'm keeping mine for future backpacking trips since it packs down so tiny I can bring it almost anywhere. Great little tent! but hunching over in that for awhile then going for a skydive and trying to "relax" wasn't the easiest thing...suppose it made for some interesting exits lol

The local Hilton or Marriott...I'm with TopDocker on this one.

I'm old, my idea of roughing it is bad room service! :ph34r:

I'm with Top and Twardo on this one. I've spent way too many nights on the ground over the past years. I'll take a good bed and hot shower anyday. :)
Plus, it's work to carry camp gear on the bike. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Big agnes flying diamond 8
best tent PERIOD!

made it through hurricanes with out a hitch.
stays completely dry even in 60+mph winds!!!
small pack volume too.

cheapo air mattress
pillow from home (gotta have my pillow)
coleman sleeping bag with extra fleece lining
hardsided cooler
headlamp
beer coozy
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

At the home DZ, whichever passed down skydiver trailor has room on a couch, chair, futon, or bed for me.

Traveling, I usually take a tent, sometimes just stretch out in the back of my car, or bunkhouse if they have it, or get lucky and get invited home for dinner with a couch or bed with my new friends.

I'm lucky that I'm short enough where the back of my car doesn't completely suck, and I have been amazed with the friendships I have made traveling so far. This really has introduced me to a sky FAMILY where for the most part, we all take care of each other. :)

Jerome the Motor Home. We bought him last year (a 1985 Fleetwood Southwind). Most of the time he stays at our local home DZ, but he's made a few road trips to Lost Prairie, and currently he's hanging out in Eloy (we just left him there since we were going to both Nationals and the Holiday Boogie and it was hardly worth the fuel and time to drive him back home again).

It's made such a huge difference in DZ comfort to have a nice, warm bed for cold nights, to be able to hop inside and crank the A/C on a hot day, to be able to easily store & prepare our own food, and to be able to use the bathroom in the middle of the night without going outside. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke