LookUpHigh

Visiting new dropzones.....

Well after searching Dropzone.com for over a week now and clicking just about every thread on the search results I'm now giving up. I know that I seen the damn thread before but now I can't find it so I guess I'll start a new thread in hopes of not getting flamed, maybe if someone can post the link to the thread and then a Moderator can delete this one.

Ok to the point, I'm going to a new Dropzone next month and I just got my A-license. I wouldn't say i'm worried but I want to be safe and I want to do it right. So does anyone have any solid advice on visiting new dropzones, especially for someone who is just a baby in the sport. Any advice will be appreciated! Blue Skies!

Walk in and say, 'Hi, I just got my A license and this is the first time I've jumped at another DZ. Can I get a DZ orientation from one of the staff members?'

Beyond that, just listen to what they say. When they're done, think through making a skydive there and make sure there are no 'holes' in the plan. You need to know where/when to load the AC, who to see about loading/exit order, how the seatbelts work, the procedure for the lights/door/exit, group seperation for that day, orientation of the landing pattern for the day, possible outs if you can't make it back, where to land/not land on the DZ, and where you should walk/not walk when heading in from the LZ. More or less, the complete trip from gearing up in the hanger back to dropping your unpacked rig on the hanger floor.

There are other non-jumping things you'll need to know as well, like manifesting, paying, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, etc, but those are easier to figure out on your own and probably won't kill you if you do them wrong.

- Get a thorough DZ briefing before you jump. Keep asking questions until you're happy that you know the rules.

- Use an aerial photo and plan your canopy flight, pattern, obstacles, outs etc.

- Watch a couple of loads to see what the locals do.

- Do a solo for the first jump or two and get used to the visuals from the air. Maybe a hop n pop or a higher pull (check what is allowed) to give you more time and less traffic.

Have fun!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Of yeah, if you're renting gear, make sure you get an orientation to the rig as well. Have them show you how to do a complete gear check from top to bottom including how to power up and check the AAD.

Ask about the canopies, and if they have any suggestions for flying them as compared to what you're used to jumping.

More or less, and this goes for the DZ orientation as well, but start from scratch as if you know nothing. Don't assume that this or that will be the same, or let them smooth over any details.

My father used to tell me this story about his boss from a job he used to have. He always told me this guy was the smartest, sharpest guy he ever met, but everytime they had a meeting with clients or sales people, he would turn into a 'simpleton' who just asked question after question, no matter how simple they seemed.

What this guy realized what they what he knew was of no use to him, and repeating to others wasn't going to further his business. It's what the other guys knew that he wanted to find out, so he played 'dumb' and harvested these guys for info. At the end of the day, he was the one who knew twice as much as everyone else, and the guys who though he was the 'dummy' hadn't learned a thing.

My only advice is to slow down. When you go to a new DZ you will be excited, especially if it is larger or a boogie or anything like that. The tendancy will be to hurry to get on a load when you first get tehre, to hurry to make as many loads as you can, to take advantage of new opportunities. Make sure you are not letting your adrenaline get away from you and you make good, careful, conservative decisions.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

The only thing I'd add to the above is to let them know the kind of place you've been jumping to date.

If you're coming from a small, cessna only DZ where there's only ever 4 people max in the air at once and you're going to a big commercial DZ with 3 turbines operating throughout the day there are different/additional things to be worried about thank you've been perhaps used to.

The DZ staff have it just as much in their interests as yours to make sure you're briefed on those and that all are safe as a result so make sure you talk to them about it if relevant.

Have fun. :)

Ask at manifest if there are any belly organizers that work with lower-experience jumpers to put together small groups, or ask to be introduced to some folks that might be able to bring you up on a small group jump. Note that the operative word above is small - if you show up and are immediately invited on a 10-way, think again. It's nice that people are welcoming to the FNG, but be sure to stay within your experience level and comfort zone and a 10-way (especially with complete strangers) should probably be out of that zone for a while.

If you've never jumped the aircraft type before, ask for a briefing on the door and exits in addition to what's been noted by others (exit order, seating, seat belts).

Above all, have fun! The opportunity to visit different DZs is (IMHO) one of the most fun parts of this sport. I'm at around 30 DZs in my 8+ years in the sport, and it's always fun to hit up a new one. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

- if you show up and are immediately invited on a 10-way, think again.

Someone did that to me, invited me to a SCR jump when they overheard me say I had just got my A. I laughed and told them, "Later...maybe much later".

I have wondered if they were testing me to see if I was too eagar or not.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

All of the above, plus sit and watch for a while before you think about getting on a load. I always find a good place to watch a/c loading, people under canopy, how the winds are affecting the landings, and who looks like they are heads-up jumpers. I keep my eyes and ears open. I also look for those that may not be quite so heads up and note their canopy colors.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

"Use an aerial photo and plan your canopy flight, pattern, obstacles, outs etc. " - Google earth is good for this.

Not sure if someone already said this and I missed it, but walk in with a case of good beer and tell manifest "I'm new here. Where should I put this?"
You don't have to outrun the bear.

If you are coming from a cold weather dz (like here in Mich.) and jumping at a warm humid dz (like Florida sometimes) be aware that the air is different. Your canopy will fly different. This will change your flare. More humid and warm- more flare. And this from a non-drinker...the advice about bringing a case of good beer is not a bad idea.
:)

Tom Beals

This is not always correct. You need to look at the density altitude since this is a factor based on DZ altitude and temperature. Generally the colder the more dense the air which makes your canopy feel like the flare is stronger. The warmer air is less dense which makes you feel like the canopy might have less flare than in the colder air at the elevation above sea level.

The bringing good beer suggestion is always correct!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Summarized all suggestions here in list form:

1. say, 'Hi, I just got my A license and this is the first time I've jumped at another DZ. Can I get a DZ orientation from one of the staff members?'

2. Beyond that, just listen to what they say. When they're done, think through making a skydive there and make sure there are no 'holes' in the plan.

3. You need to know where/when to load the AC,

4. who to see about loading/exit order,

5. how the seatbelts work,

6. the procedure for the lights/door/exit,

7. group separation for that day,

8. orientation of the landing pattern for the day,
use an aerial photo and plan your canopy flight, pattern, obstacles, outs, etc

9. possible outs if you can't make it back,

10. where to land/not land on the DZ, and

11. where you should walk/not walk when heading in from the LZ.

12. There are other non-jumping things you'll need to know as well, like manifesting, paying, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, etc

13. Watch a couple of loads to see what the locals do.

14. Do a solo for the first jump or two and get used to the visuals from the air. Maybe a hop n pop or a higher pull (check what is allowed) to give you more time and less traffic.

15. Of yeah, if you're renting gear, make sure you get an orientation to the rig as well. Have them show you how to do a complete gear check from top to bottom including how to power up and check the AAD.

16. slow down. Make sure you are not letting your adrenaline get away from you and you make good, careful, conservative decisions.

17. The only thing I'd add to the above is to let them know the kind of place you've been jumping to date.

18. Ask at manifest if there are any belly organizers for your experience level.

19. Get the phone number of manifest and put it in your cell phone. Keep your cell phone with you when you skydive.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239