WhiteMongoose

What make a good skydiver?

Yes... I know this is a extremely newbie question... But... I'm really trying to learn as much as I could about skydive as I won't be able to do it until around the fall.

But my question are:

-What make someone a good skydiver? Any specific features (size, shape, weight, etc...)? What ability help (strength? Flexibility? Agility?)

-Why is skydiving not easy? I mean I always thought it was more about jumping out of a airplane and open the parachute. I know landing could be hard. But after so much research, I realize that not everybody can be Jokker Somme. So it must mean there's something that make it challenging, what would that be?

-Any active beside skydiving (or any air active) that could help me get ready for skydiving?

-Lastly... I may will get heat for this, but... Why are relative work popular?
I'm curious because it seems incredibly popular. Yet When I look at it, I just think "oh man I'd hate that!" because it seems rather corny and take freedom of being able to do whatever in the sky away. I must have miss something, so can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks for any replies.

I'm fairly new, almost 200 jumps now. This is my take. A good skydiver follows what his instructors tell him. You should follow the DZ rules. Accept the fact that its a high risk evolution and respect. Jumping solo is fairly boring. 60 seconds of "is this over yet?" If they are not an instructor, take what they say with a gain of salt because they are not your instructor. Your instructor will teach you to be safe, to survive and to not hurt others.

Skydivers come in all shapes and sizes. Being big or small does not help you. Being flexible would help with your arch. Strength may factor your riser turns but stamina may be more important when you have to stay in a particular form.

Go slow, advance slowly and don't downsize quickly. Buy used gear, helmet altimeter suit should be your first purchases. A used rig with the appropriate sized Canopy for your weight over how cool something looks - that will get you killed - is a better choice.

Look around and see if you can find a wind tunnel and go spend 15 minutes there. They will help you get stable, turns, and some are geared to AFF so they can show you pull procedures. 250$ usd in a tunnel is cheaper than an AFF failure or repeat.

You can watch the uspa golden knights YouTube videos if you want to know what to expect. Follow your instructors, be humble and get your a license.

Best of luck to you.

Adam
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

You'll learn more as you progress, but in a nutshell what makes a good skydiver ~ is having the skills and judgement not to get hurt or hurt others.

Yeah...that's 'sounds' rather simple but in reality it can be quite challenging.

As far as RW ~ it's fun & a testament to your abilities to fly your body...that too sounds easier than it is at times.

BUT...I also enjoy 60 seconds of solo freefall! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What I have observed is that some people jump for a thrill, some jump for a challange to do and learn, and I think many jump for a mixture of both to different degrees.

RW is sort of like a dance. It can be very simple or very complicated. For those that like a challange, RW can be an increasing challange with larger groups and a more complicated dive plan. The challange can be forever more difficult without taking crazy risks.

Just my 2 cents.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

A good skydiver is respectful of others' needs as well as their own on a jump. Whether it's effort or skill level (i.e. theirs is reasonably close to that of the rest of the jump), attitude, politeness (listening when appropriate, talking when appropriate, and knowing when to STFU), and the wisdom of knowing the difference.

They're also reasonably aware of what they know, and humble and willing to acknowledge what they don't.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Don't worry about asking 'newbie questions". It's how you learn. I found a new way of saying it recently:
The only time you need to apologize for ignorance - is when you do nothing to change it.
(I told you I was stealing that one Sandy :P)

Skydiving is far more mental than physical. Flexibility and agility play a role, but body awareness is more important. Knowing what position your body is in is vital. To a certain degree, dancers and gymnasts do better than average because of this awareness.

More important, as has been mentioned, is an appreciation of the risks you are taking and a willingness to learn how to reduce those risks.

You are not "special," you are not immortal. You are a fragile and breakable human. Mistakes can kill. Both you and those around you. Bad luck can kill. You can do everything right and still die. You can do everything right and still have some yahoo take you out,

But there are things you can do to reduce those risks. The ability to remain calm and focused and react quickly and correctly in a stressful situation is important.

Why isn't it easy?

Well, it's not all that hard to do.
Doing it well however, is a whole different matter.
Over and above the necessary stuff, like gear knowledge, rules, emergency procedures, all that stuff, it's a very unnatural and often counterintuitive set of skills. Nobody is a "natural" at this, we are entering an environment that is totally alien to our evolution. We really don't belong up there.

Reaching the point where it is second nature, and you can put yourself exactly where, when and how you want in the sky is a long and arduous journey, one that never really ends.
And that's the challenge. I've never had a jump go perfectly. There's always something that I could have done better. There's always something to improve.
There's also always something new to try.

There is nothing that I know of, except for tunnel experience that will prepare you. Perhaps paragliding or hang gliding. To some extent, piloting experience. But those just teach basic aerodynamics, how airfoils are controlled, how to land, basic pattern procedures and a bit on emergency preparedness (overview stuff, not really specific to skydiving).

And last, why RW? Why do we do "Square dancing in three dimensions, while wearing sillier outfits?"

Because it's really, really cool.

There are solo disciplines, solo freestyle is one, but most of us like the challenge of trying to get to a specific slot, in a specific sequence.
It goes back to "can you put your body exactly where you want to in the sky?
It's impossible to judge how well you are doing on a solo jump. No reference point.
You can do flips and rolls and stuff, but it's not the same.
It was recently said on here that skydiving is like sex. It's a lot more fun when you aren't alone.

If you reach the point where you can jump with others, you'll understand.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And last, why RW? Why do we do "Square dancing in three dimensions, while wearing sillier outfits?"

Because it's really, really cool.

There are solo disciplines, solo freestyle is one, but most of us like the challenge of trying to get to a specific slot, in a specific sequence.
It goes back to "can you put your body exactly where you want to in the sky?

It was recently said on here that skydiving is like sex. It's a lot more fun when you aren't alone.

If you reach the point where you can jump with others, you'll understand.

RW, whether it's horizontal or vertical, is a team sport. And if you can do it with people who also can do it, it's exhilarating.
For me, the more people, the more exhilarating.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

RW, whether it's horizontal or vertical, is a team sport. And if you can do it with people who also can do it, it's exhilarating.

So, as Joe said, it's like sex? :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it!

Wolf, thanks so much for going into great details explaining everything.

This has made me even more curious. I just wish I could start much sooner! But fire season is here and I have to be on call all of the time.
So guess I'll have to settle chatting on the forum and doing more research until I'm free to do as I desire!

Also one more question.... Once I get my license A, how may times a day is it possible to jump?[url]

WhiteMongoose

Also one more question.... Once I get my license A, how may times a day is it possible to jump?

It ranges between 0 and 15 usually. It depends in a lot of variables, number and type of airplanes, number of skydivers in the DZ, weather conditions, hours of light, how fast you are packing (or how many rigs do you have if you use packers) and many more. On my (short) experience for us, normal people (ie: not instructors or professionals/people with tons of money to spend), 5-6 times a day can be considered like a good day.

OP, the best advice I would give you is to pay no attention to the high and mighty canopy nazi's who love to post their fanatical diatribes on this forum. Downsize at a pace that YOU are comfortable with and think you can handle given your learning pace. When the self-righteous, holier-than-thou know-it-alls flock to preach to you about the evils of downsizing, you would be wise to ignore it.
Skydiving is serious business

On the difficulty part.....

Compare an aircraft, flying at 140mph. If adjust ONLY aileron, the aircraft will turn immedietely.
Remember, the rest of the aircraft remains exactly in shape.

Now, your body, travelling at the same speed, but you have material moving, and is not a FIXED body. You can move so many parts at the same time, and not even be aware of it.

Now, how do you control all of that, mix in a bit of adrenaline, and then take RW, and mix in a couple of big, small, skinny jumpers, and keep it safe....

It looks easy on film, and when you go and talk to the team, they will tell you they have about 2000 jumps as a team, hence why it looks so easy.

Go out there and jump, you will soon realize how much a good 4 way Jump can boost your feeling of self accomplishment.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

And I would suggest that if you see something in dz.com that you either agree with strongly, or that you question strongly, or that you disagree with strongly -- go check the posting history of whoever said it. People can lie about how many jumps they have, or where they say they jump, or licenses, but you can't take back the posts that you just made a couple of months ago talking about the fact that you want to have as small a canopy as a DZO will let you get away with, or that you're saying things that make it pretty clear that you're not that long in the sport.

Some folks have seen a lot of people pay for doubtful decisions with health and/or life. Half of us are below-average skydivers, even if skydivers are as a group above average in something.

And above average doesn't get you to being able to swoop that tiny pocket rocket a lot sooner. One-in-a-thousand might. How many active experienced skydivers are there in the US? Enough that you're probably not that one in a thousand. They're already pro swoopers.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mistercwood

***RW, whether it's horizontal or vertical, is a team sport. And if you can do it with people who also can do it, it's exhilarating.

So, as Joe said, it's like sex? :P
At my age, it IS sex.

-Joey-

OP, the best advice I would give you is to pay no attention to the high and mighty canopy nazi's who love to post their fanatical diatribes on this forum. Downsize at a pace that YOU are comfortable with and think you can handle given your learning pace. When the self-righteous, holier-than-thou know-it-alls flock to preach to you about the evils of downsizing, you would be wise to ignore it.

Well, Joey, obviously you are not familiar with, or have no realization of the value of, Bill Von Novak's downsizing checklist.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/Downsizing_Checklist_47.html

For anyone considering downsizing, this is a prime piece of work. Read it and take heed.

Why would we need something like this?
Because, in spite of your (Joey's) misguided advice to "Downsize at a pace that YOU are comfortable with and think you can handle given your learning pace", the reality is that it's common that people do not give themselves accurate evaluations on readiness and skill levels making them "ready to handle it".

It's common that evaluations from others are, regardless of skill levels, at best, ball-park guesses without actual knowledge of the jumper having all the skills outlined in the article.

Please refrain from offering bogus advice.
Thanks in advance.

First off, this post is waaaay off topic. The question was what makes a good skydiver, not when should I downsize.

I've got news for you, when you're overly defensive about shit like this, and you lie about your jump numbers or time in sport, it's transparent that you're hiding your real information and revealing how you personally feel about your situation.

I'm sorry if you feel that way, but what's ironic is that I would answer the OPs actual question by stating that a 'good' skydiver is the exact opposite of how you come across.

To be a 'good' skydiver you need to be realistic about your skills and abilities and willing to listen to the advice of others. Someone who embodies those traits will not be a danger to themselves or others, will make a conservative choices that will lengthen their life, and will continue to learn throughout their entire jumping career.

Over estimating your skills can (and will) make you a danger to yourself and others, and an unwillingness to listen to advice will curb your learning and further retard your ability to be a safe jumper who can make a real contribution to the DZ/sport.

This is a strategy I recently learned that not only can apply to skydiving but to all aspects of our lives.

The 6 Cylinders to Success (condensed version) by Tony Robbins

1) Set Crystal Clear Goals. 80% of life is determined by what we believe about ourselves and what we are capable of. The other 20% is action.

2) Determine your LEVERAGE, ask yourself what I hold in my personal beliefs about myself that is holding me back of achieving my goals. Examine the consequences of what can or will happen if I don't achieve my goals, this is your Leverage which will force you to change your beliefs and force you to take the massive action required to achieve your goals.

3) Set a STRATEGY to do something that will allow you to achieve your goals and then take massive action, if this works, great , if not change your approach (strategy) to something different and do it again, keep changing your approach (strategy) until you achieve your desired outcome.

4) Tracking and Measuring - Track and Measure your success, have you achieved the desired outcome, yes?? move onto the next goal, No? go back to Step 3 and do it again.

5) Expand Your Psychology - Examine your Internal Limiting Beliefs. As the question What do I need to believe about myself to make the changes necessary to get what I want out of life??

6) Accountability - Need to make you accountable to yourself to make the necessary changes. Ask the questions and then take massive action to force change.

:)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo