Trae

Any-one else see a conection between the Aussie summer and fatality rate.??

It's been a bumper year for fatalities so far this Oz summer.

Any-one who has suffered through an Australian summer without air-con might realise how the heat can turn people a bit troppo. Any-one not used to real heat is going to be seriously affected.

There doesn't appear to be any checks or balances in place with this. Perhaps the need to turn over the $$$$ during the brief summer hols is also having its affect.

Used to be responsible DZ operators would call a halt if it was noticed people were getting TOO HOT.

Tourists especially or people out of their normal (temperature) comfort zone need to especially watch out for this. In the heat it is advisable to slow down a bit and not try for as many jumps as you'd normally do. In the middle of the day take a rest . Do your jumps in the morning and later in the day.

Don't let any hot heads push you along if what you'd really prefer to be doing is cooling off.... by
going for a swim instead of a skydive.

Stay cool & stay safe
:)

Used to be responsible DZ operators would call a halt if it was noticed people were getting TOO HOT.

More irresponsible DZOs out there killing those brainless skydivers again. When will it end?

Why have they quit telling people that they were too hot ?
How about resting? Is anyone telling them when to get to bed at night? 9:30 seems sensible. (allowing time for a bedtime story, of course :)).

I've haven't seen this type of evil since Darth Vader.
:S

in reply to "Why have they quit telling people that they were too hot ? I've haven't seen this type of evil since Darth Vader. "

The point is like in hypothermia and other brain/body affected happenings (eg excessive alchohol/drug use ) the hot ones don't get it.. until perhaps too late... especially when adrenaline and rushing for that next skydive get into the the equation.

If Darth was in charge would it be any different?

Some of the little children out here NEED guidance not sarcasm.

At the recent picton boogie Johnny Mac {dz manager} was on the PA reminding everyone to "fluid up".

And don't just drink water and think that's enough. Make sure you keep your salt and electrolytes balanced as well. Get these out of wack and it can be just as deadly.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Want hot?
Come to Karratha in the middle of summer ;)

Thanks for you constructive input Jason.

Trae in relation to the thread title, although Perth is usually very hot in summer this year we have had a decidedly COOL December and January.
When I was in Sydney 2 weeks ago Picton had 46 degrees Celcius. Perth was 20 degrees. So I doubt very much that high temps has had anything to do with the recent incidents in Perth.

It was however a very hot day at Picton on 26th December when Josh died.:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You guys get the Freemantle Doctor blowing in pretty regular to keep things cool too ??

+ are you there at York the only DZ in Oz with air-con???

I suppose there's lots of other things as well as the heat to affect it all. At a recent summer meet I saw people sweating scary bad. Some larger people in particular had semi-permanent heat rashes on their faces it was so hot... This was not just sunburn . getting a decent drink of water was a challenge as well and cost more than beer.

I know some people are used to a more controlled environment and would find the full-on summer heat debilitating. extra caution appears sensible .

plus the effect of heat on density altitude... which affects planes as well as skydivers.

one DZ i jump at gets very hot (well over 40 deg C) in summer, last time i was there a couple of weeks ago they shut down for a few hours during the worst of the heat.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

However, at the Nats, where in was in the mid-40sC on the training days prior to comp, there was abundant shade and free water. Believe me that as a red-haired Irishman I'm less able to cope with the heat than most, yet still I managed. Air-con, packers, and lots of liquid work wonders.

Wickham usually has to shut down over late Jan-Feb because of the heat...we are getting over 40C on a regular basis but also the humidity is VERY high! Not fun squishing into a 182 with 4 other jumpers for the loooooong ride to height in a jumpsuit I can tell you! :ph34r:
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

in reply to "So no more phone-booth packing races at Katherine or Batchelor I guess?? "

You guys are in a completely different category:P

I'm talking about people NOT used to the heat.( you'd be well past help up there ):D

You just have to watch out for getting too cold........... say 20 C or so

inreply to "Ive been jumping in Oz for 10 years. I was at Picton and new the jumper well.He was a guy who was well on what ws going on around him. weather wasnt what got him..
Go big! "

Condolences.

Stay safe ......Biggly