ianmdrennan

Stolen Gear - Zhills (PDFT Rig with Peregrine 67)

STOLEN GEAR - a PDFT rig has been stolen from Skydive City today. Looks like this, cutaway handle says GAGE, contains a Peregrine 67 s/n 18 with PD Optimum 126 and Cypres Speed 2. Thought to be local outsiders but please spread the word and share this ASAP. If you see it or hear of it please contact us at [email protected] or call a team member. Contact details on www.pdfactoryteam.com. Thanks for your help.

Please spread the word.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

s/n 18!

I would think that would be a pretty tough resale, I saw a video of that thing flying too, looks intense. What kind of dickhead/jackass would steal that?

Those are like invitation only canopies too right?

Like stealing a one-off painting.

I'm thinking one of the elders watching the landings mistook it for their fanny pack. In all seriousness tho, if someone purposely took it... Wow... I have a general trust with my skydiving community and it would suck to have to keep a sharper eye on my rig. (and I don't even have embroidery on my rig!)

ianmdrennan

Yeah, that's my personal opinion too.

Too high profile for a jumper to do, and zero use.

I'd love to have that main in my shop to dismantle it and learn what PD is doing with its cutting edge canopy. How's it built, where's it reinforced, what's the shape. So I wouldn't rule out someone from the industry being involved a bit

I'd love to have that main in my shop to dismantle it and learn what PD is doing with its cutting edge canopy. How's it built, where's it reinforced, what's the shape. So I wouldn't rule out someone from the industry being involved a bit

+1, you beat me to it. Sad but true, if PD/PD sponsored jumpers are the only jumpers with these canopies, you have to wonder just a little...
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

tristansdad

Um yeah cuz it was stolen. How many times have you left your gear unattended or unlocked while at the dz?

I never leave my gear unattended or unlocked at the DZ. Got my bag (just a cool bag to keep all my dive accessories and luckily none of that stuff was in the bag at the time) stolen once...ever since I have one of those micro locks on my zipper and another lock that attaches to my bag and rack. Will it stop someone from taking my bag if they really want it? Nope. But it is a deterrent versus a bag that isn't locked up. Just like anywhere else, there are some shady people (both skydivers and visitors ) at a DZ.

To the dude who got his rig stolen, you must be sponsored to be flying that rig right? if so, don't worry, most likely you are sponsored and will have a free rig in the near future.

To the dude who got his rig stolen, you must be sponsored to be flying that rig right? if so, don't worry, most likely you are sponsored and will have a free rig in the near future.

Why is that relevant? Stolen gear is stolen gear. Someone has to pay to replace it.....
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

Why is that relevant? Stolen gear is stolen gear. Someone has to pay to replace it.....

Seinfeld:

Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.

ianmdrennan

From the perspective of the person that got his rig stolen, it doesn't matter...considering the dude (or dudette) is sponsored (which is most likely the case) he doesn't care, will get a new free rig to jump, and case closed.

From the perspective of the company that lost the rig, then yeah they need to recoup the cost, which is probably just a fraction of what they make in a fiscal year.

From the perspective of the person that got his rig stolen, it doesn't matter...considering the dude (or dudette) is sponsored (which is most likely the case) he doesn't care, will get a new free rig to jump, and case closed.

From the perspective of the company that lost the rig, then yeah they need to recoup the cost, which is probably just a fraction of what they make in a fiscal year.

Well, no. The PDFT are basically employees of the company, and they hold the health of the company as being important to them (which it is). They're also stand-up guys, which means that they care about the rig.

And while a company can probably eat one rig, the profit margin and sales volume on skydiving equipment companies is low enough that it's not like saying Kroger can handle that strawberry you swiped off the produce counter >:(

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Well, no. The PDFT are basically employees of the company, and they hold the health of the company as being important to them (which it is). They're also stand-up guys, which means that they care about the rig.

And while a company can probably eat one rig, the profit margin and sales volume on skydiving equipment companies is low enough that it's not like saying Kroger can handle that strawberry you swiped off the produce counter >:(

Wendy P.

Well then, strictly from a business point of view, the dude/dudette who got their rig stolen should be fired and/or pay for the rig right? Wouldn't it ultimately be their responsibility to take care of the rig; ie not have it stolen? And don't say, "oh, it's not the dude's fault for having it stolen" because at the end of the day, it was issued out to the sponsored person.

If a recently graduated student got rental gear stolen the company issuing the gear would IMMEDIATELY charge the student's credit card for the loss. This is no different then. Saying it is no different is now putting sponsored people in a different class above all the rest in terms of "borrowing" gear.