Orange1

Chest strap or leg straps first?

Most jumpers I know fasten leg straps first and then chest strap. Reading the Javelin manual the other day I saw that they say it is safer to do up the chest strap first. (I'm not sure why this is and would welcome an explanation?)

What do you do?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Most jumpers I know fasten leg straps first and then chest strap. Reading the Javelin manual the other day I saw that they say it is safer to do up the chest strap first. (I'm not sure why this is and would welcome an explanation?)

Only safety reason I could think of would be the order. If you forget the last one, tt's alot easier to get on a plane with both leg straps on and no chest strap, than with a chest strap done and no leg straps. ;)

I find my chest strap easier to do after I have the leg straps done up, but I can understand the "chest strap first" mentality. I've only been caught with an undone chest strap once, and that was when I was still a student and about to board. I learned that lesson and now my "check of three threes" goes ... three handles, three points of connection (chest and two leg straps) and three accessories (helmet/goggles/altimeter). Works pretty well for me as something to do when I'm walking out to the plane.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My leg straps, and most other peoples, are thread-throughs, and we just step into them, then do up the chest strap. The order you do it in doesn't matter, what matters is that you pay attention to what you're doing and double check it when you're done. I've caught 2 bad chest straps on the way to altitude, always looking for the next one. I have a hundred dollar bill for anyone who catches me on the plane with my chest strap undone. :P

That's right, ladies. I was only looking at your chest strap for safety reasons.:$

My helmet came off the other week in freefall cos i forgot to do the chin strap up "doh". And when i told my mum she asked why i didnt check it on every jump, and i said i do normally, but i ALWAYS check my chest strap and leg straps before boarding and exit on EVERY jump. So does it matter which 1 you fasten first?

I step into my leg straps first, then I thread my chest strap properly. At this point nothing is fastened, if by that you mean tightened, however everything is connected. I do it in this order because it is super-obvious to me if I start moving toward the plane and my legstraps are loose, but it is not super-obvious to me if I start moving toward the plane and my chest strap is completely undone. So this is just a procedural requirement I imposed on myself to avoid brain-fading on my chest strap.

Once everything is donned and threaded like this, I tighten my legs and then my chest strap. I don't worry about the order here, although I usually start with the legs because they aren't optional from this point on. A properly tightened chest strap is less important to me, and I'll probably adjust it once or twice on the way to altitude as I think about what I'm going to be doing, or as I'm being comfortable on the plane, etc.. (I won't undo it on the way to altitude, of course.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What do you do?

IIRC the reason for fastening the chest strap first is it allows a better fit from the harness, by putting the yoke in the proper place on your body before tightened leg straps make minor adjustments more difficult. I would think any difference would be subtle, but I've heard the advice from enough high time jumpers to believe there is probably something to it.

For Great Deals on Gear

fyi... went back to the manual - they are very specific on this for ringed harnesses especially:

...Step through the leg straps, being sure they aren't twisted, then thread the chest strap through its friction adapter (adjustor) and tighten it to where it is comfortably snug. ... Tighten the leg straps until they are comfortably snug...

RING HARNESS ADJUSTMENT
If your Javelin is equipped with a ringed harness, to insure a proper and comfortable fit, it is very important that you tighten the chest strap first. By first tightening the chest strap very snugly, this will allow full arm and shoulder movement. Next tighten the leg strags until they are comfortably snug.

I do chest first then legs. I think with me, besides the way I was shown, it's more of a "top to bottom" thing. Like with most other things like checking the rig and the check of 3s... mine goes 3 rings, 3 buckles, 3 handles... all which follow the top to bottom rule.

IIRC the reason for fastening the chest strap first is it allows a better fit from the harness, by putting the yoke in the proper place on your body before tightened leg straps make minor adjustments more difficult. I would think any difference would be subtle, but I've heard the advice from enough high time jumpers to believe there is probably something to it.

I've heard this as well. I slip into my leg straps first, do my chest strap loosely, then tighten up my legs.

I keep it like that til I finish up my wingsuit prep at 8 or 9k or so, which is when I tightend down the chest strap. I could jump with it loose any time before that if I needed to, the deployments are just more comfortable with it tightened up.

I've added some more emphasis to your quote:

RING HARNESS ADJUSTMENT
If your Javelin is equipped with a ringed harness, to insure a proper and comfortable fit, it is very important that you tighten the chest strap first. By first tightening the chest strap very snugly, this will allow full arm and shoulder movement. Next tighten the leg strags until they are comfortably snug.

As they say, by tightening your chest strap first, you can ensure the yoke sits properly and the rig is generally more comfortable giving you more arm and shoulder movement. However, this is only the case if you have chest rings. Having done up my leg straps before my chest strap on the odd occasion, the whole advantage of chest rings in terms of comfort and fit went out the window if I didn't do the chest strap up first.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

i used to fly powered aircraft and gliders and we were always told to put the chest strap on last and take it off first because if the parachute fired (in skydiving cases the reserve) then u wouldnt be strangled by it if it towed u across a field. its just a habit thats stuck with me and doesnt seem to do any harm

Define 'put on'? I step into the harness first because If I put my rig on backpack style, do up the chest strap I can't get my legs into the leg straps!

But I read it to mean tighten up and secure, and for that it is the chest strap first every time. Loose legstraps might mean an uncomfortable canopy ride, and perhaps trouble in reaching your risers. A disconnected chest strap may very well kill you as you fall out of your rig. That's my thoughts anyway. Overall, I reckon it is best to make sure that everything is ready before you walk out to the plane! :PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Sorry, but i beg to differ guys. I would always ensure the chest strap is threaded correctly and fastened as soon as the harness is on as a priority over leg straps. I've heard some nasty stories about people being ejected from their gear as it deploys because of a mis-routed strap. As for comfort in walking out to the plane, i would suggest that by the time you're ready to board you should be fully ready to jump i.e. if you have to make an emergency exit at 2 000 ft and you haven't got your gear ready it's one more problem you just don't need!:)

What do you do?

Neither.

I do not undo straps, just loosen them. I put on and take off rigs "Mike Nelson Style" (the Lloyd Bridges character from 'Sea Hunt,' not the Mike Nelson from Alabama).

Blue skies,

Winsor

You took the words right out of my mouth Jase! But I connect my chest strap (not tighten) then tighten my leg straps THEN tighten up my chest strap. Although this is only because my rig isn't the best fit and I can't get the right tightness on my chest strap until my leg straps are done up right.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Derek from Sunpath explained it to me like this. By doing the chest strap first your three rings are adjusted to the correct height by tightening the chest strap first. This also helps the rig fit better to your body by being higher up on your shoulders.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Plus at JSC we have a longish walk to boarding point, loose legstraps make walking easier.

and you get your gear check after tightening them, or is it different for students and A licences? [:/] CI at SCT cr@pped someone out a while ago: "when you have a D then maybe you can walk out to the plane with loose legstraps"...

mouth, thanks for that - makes sense to me.