1 1
brenthutch

The Continent’s Consensus on Climate?……Crumbling

5 hours ago, kallend said:

The last glacier in the Venezuelan Andes has now disappeared.

Predictions:

1. No it didn't
2. Of course it did, that happens all the time, that's nature
3. It was cold in Antarctica last night
4. There's this one glacier in Greenland that is STILL GROWING - explain THAT!
5. I never said the climate wasn't warming, but it has nothing to do with us
6. Al Gore is stupid and you worship him like a god you sicko

Top predictions are 2 and 4.

28 minutes ago, billvon said:

Predictions:

1. No it didn't

7. What has that glacier ever done for ME? It going away does not affect my life directly, so I'm not changing anything.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:45 AM, gowlerk said:
On 4/24/2024 at 9:38 AM, Coreece said:

As for the last one, I wouldn't necessarily just single out homosexual sex as it's a subset of sexual immorality in general.

Homosexual sex is not immoral.

You're entitled to your opinion, but bilvon wanted to change the subject to christianity, so that's what we were talking about.  I mean, if merely objectifying women sexually in our heart (soul, mind, emotion, human will, conscience, etc) is immoral, then that would extend to men as well, let alone physically acting out that sexual objectification.  I'm sure you could find a church that will cater to your every vice, but personally I don't really need any help with that.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:45 AM, gowlerk said:

Sexual immorality is just a construct. The only immorality would be if someone is taking advantage of a child or a person otherwise not able to give informed consent.

Even laws governing consent are social constructs.  If one day the law allowed sexually mature minors of any age to have sex with any man they wanted, I'm sure (in most cases) you'd still find it immoral for an older man to do that, regardless of what the law says, or if people falsely started calling you a pedophobe.

And it's already happening.  In Colorado a 15 year old girl can have sex with a 25 year old man, and liberal activists are even trying to destigmatize pedophilia, calling for compassion since these individuals are unable to embrace their authentic selves - constrained from living freely.  

Generally speaking, natural human inhibitions persist, yet as time progresses, society tends to become jaded and constructs ideals to normalize these inhibitions.

On 4/29/2024 at 5:35 PM, SkyDekker said:
On 4/23/2024 at 10:27 PM, Coreece said:

Dekker's irrelevant nonsense about brothels.

It was a joke, I am sorry it flew over your head, even after given hints.

Not quite.  In order for that joke to work, it needs to convey an element of truth found in the story ( or elsewhere for that matter)  But unfortunately for your comedy career, it doesn't.

You just assumed they started a brothel, which they didn't.  And I already explained how the story has nothing to do with climate change.

All it's really about is how sex workers are leaving the sex trade for legitimate businesses.  The story itself ultimately contradicted every imaginary limitation on sex workers it initially posed.

9 minutes ago, Coreece said:

liberal activists are even trying to destigmatize pedophilia, calling for compassion since these individuals are unable to embrace their authentic selves - constrained from living freely.  

I’ll admit I feel sorry for people who are attracted to minors and have a strong sex drive. Not that it’s acceptable, it’s not. It’s just that their life is a constant fight with their true selves.

If they have a weaker sex drive, it’s a little easier to keep going. To me, these are different axes people are on (like gender and hétero/homosexuality) by brain chemistry or nature. Just as a straight person can have sex with someone of the same gender, but it just doesnt feel right

It’s not a choice for some people; the choice is the daily fight against acting on their nature. But since their nature doesn’t work with consent, well, it’s not acceptable. Their life is harder; sometimes much harder, depending on the rest of their character, chemistry, and social support

Wendy P. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

liberal activists are even trying to destigmatize pedophilia, calling for compassion since these individuals are unable to embrace their authentic selves

Nice broad brush you're carrying there. Paedophilia will ALWAYS be stigmatized and those who want to destigmatize it (like some conservatives do) will always be in the minority.

Why always? Because of our biology where our brains take a SIGNIFICANT time to develop after birth.  Natural human inhibitions can usually be traced back to biological reasons - incest, for example, increases the chances of genetic defects. Any animal breeder knows that if you raise two non-biologically related animals (of a certain intelligence) as "siblings" they will be reluctant to mate. The stigma against paedophilia is more complicated but has similarly deep roots.

Homosexual behaviour has been observed in many animals, and none of those animals have also been observed punishing the homosexual behaviour of others like humans do.

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
17 hours ago, billvon said:

Predictions:

1. No it didn't

Nah, it'll be 2 and 5. (5.5 modification - "I never said the climate wasn't warming, but it's GOOD for us") He's like a broken record with his "record food production/CO2 greening" thing.

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
57 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Thanks, I stand corrected! There appears to be quite a lot of publication bias on this which that study appears to debunk.

There is however a hypothesized "Westermarck Effect" for humans which appears to result in low pairings in people who have been raised together as children.

I stand by my point though - we don't need religion for morals anymore.

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

There is however a hypothesized "Westermarck Effect" for humans which appears to result in low pairings in people who have been raised together as children.

True. Difference between animals and humans.  Animals like skydivers have the same motto - EFS. For animals it's eat, fuck, sleep. :)