1 1
brenthutch

Billions spent on charging stations = zero

8 hours ago, ryoder said:

Back in 1969, the government funded a project to develop "packet switching" theory into something called "ARPANET".  You never hear about it anymore, so it must not have been successful.

As recently as 1983 I recall a few heated debates at MIT about the relative value of Bitnet vs Arpanet/Internet protocols for data transfer.  A big argument for Bitnet, repeated quite often, was that it was developed without government money and so was more ethical.  Not really true, since the NSF did put some money into it as well after it got off the ground.  But it was seen as the "don't need no damn government oversight" option.

19 hours ago, billvon said:

You were literally saying that.

However, if you are now backtracking and admitting that the government DOES subsidize gas vehicles, gas stations, oil companies and public roads, then great - you now recognize that subsidizing new technologies is nothing new for the US.

“Congress at the urging of the Biden administration agreed in 2021 to spend $7.5 billion to build tens of thousands of electric vehicle chargers across the country, aiming to appease anxious drivers while tackling climate change.

Two years later, the program has yet to install a single charger.”

At this rate in ten years we will have spent 7.5 billion dollars and will still have not a single charger.  

BTW can a moderator please give Kallend a warning, I’m getting tired of his constant personal attacks and name calling. 

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

BTW can a moderator please give Kallend a warning, I’m getting tired of his constant personal attacks and name calling. 

There may be an easier way to stop being called a troll.  Think hard and deep, it just might come to you.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

At this rate in ten years we will have spent 7.5 billion dollars and will still have not a single charger.  

Do building projects usually progress at a constant rate of physical construction work from conception to completion?

(edited)
1 hour ago, lippy said:

There may be an easier way to stop being called a troll.  Think hard and deep, it just might come to you.

Trolls are ruining this forum.  Trolls crave attention.  The thing a troll fears most is being ignored, so ignore them.

Did someone just self-identify as one?

Edited by kallend
  • Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

Trolls are ruining this forum.  Trolls crave attention.  The thing a troll fears most is being ignored, so ignore them.

Did someone just self-identify as one?

Without me this forum would descend (further) into a cesspool of intellectual incest, inbreeding the same wacky notions over and over.  It’s no accident the name of my avatar is Reality 

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Do building projects usually progress at a constant rate of physical construction work from conception to completion?

Not only that, if they don't return results immediately they are worthless.

Just consider the worst failed government program ever - the Apollo program.  It started in 1961 and they didn't launch a single person into space for SEVEN YEARS!  And it cost over $100 BILLION in today's dollars!  The worst failure ever.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Without me this forum would descend (further) into a cesspool of intellectual incest, inbreeding the same wacky notions over and over.  It’s no accident the name of my avatar is Reality 

The thing is you don't as a rule add actual content, just a steady stream of denialist BS with nothing behind them. You're having to look harder and harder to find reputable (it's a relative term) sources. 

Wendy P. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

a cesspool of intellectual incest, inbreeding the same wacky notions over and over. 

Again I'd point to the endless stream of new threads you post on the same old topics.

It’s no accident the name of my avatar is Reality 

Not an accident but certainly an irony.

• Like 1

Saving SC, saving the world and furthering republican ideals. You're a legend in your own mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Not only that, if they don't return results immediately they are worthless.

Just consider the worst failed government program ever - the Apollo program.  It started in 1961 and they didn't launch a single person into space for SEVEN YEARS!  And it cost over $100 BILLION in today's dollars!  The worst failure ever.

The Manhattan project took 130,000 people and cost $2Billion in 1945 dollars and produced a measly two bombs.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

The Manhattan project took 130,000 people and cost $2Billion in 1945 dollars and produced a measly two bombs.

Yeah!  And where are they NOW?  Did we even get to keep them, or did we just give them away to some other country?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Thank you for your service. But if you are going to lay claim to saving Mrs. Weber's wayward son from himself you'll need to take a number and stand in line.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

The first EV charger funded under this bill went online yesterday at the Pilot Travel Center at Interstate 70 and US 42 in Madison County Ohio, about 25 minutes west of Columbus.

Sorry Brent! 

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a46099075/federally-funded-us-ev-charger-running/

Only in the brain of delusional lefties does spending 7.5 billion dollars on one charging station equal success 

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Only in the brain of delusional lefties does spending 7.5 billion dollars on one charging station equal success 

But only the brain of a delusional you would think that's what's just happened.

Ohio received $140 million of the $7.5 billion federal pool and has used around $18 million of it to create these new stations. Companies like Pilot Travel Centers, TH Midwest, Francis Energy, Meijer Stores, EVgo Services, ChargeNet Stations, and Equilon/Shell have all teamed up to pitch in $6 million as well.

You mentioned something about reality earlier in the thread - maybe try joining us in it one day?

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Don't hold your breath.

Letting reality get in the way of his fears and hatred is something that's NOT gonna happen.

The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 was passed on June 29, 1956.  It allocated $25 billion for the construction of the US Interstate system, and is equivalent to $252 billion today.  Nowadays even the most fascist of right wingers considers that a good use of money.

BH in 1957: "They have only built 22 miles of interstate so far!  After a whole YEAR!  Only in the brain of delusional lefties is spending a billion dollars a mile for a road considered success!"

34 minutes ago, billvon said:

BH in 1957: "They have only built 22 miles of interstate so far!  After a whole YEAR!  Only in the brain of delusional lefties is spending a billion dollars a mile for a road considered success!"

As far as British infrastructure projects go that wouldn't be too terrible, tbh.