2 2
kallend

A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable. We should stop pretending.

14 hours ago, kallend said:

A catalog of his recent lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/14/trump-crazy-new-claims-fact-checked/

How any person with a shred of decency or intelligence can support Trump is a total mystery to me.

I'll take a forgetul old man over a lying, cheating, predatory and ignorant old man any day (or 4 years).

A people that loves lies more than truths. A people that laughs at indecency, insults and the vulnerable. A people that worships Caligula more than Lincoln.

Should the people not get what they deserve?

• Like 1

And the hits just keep on coming. SDNY suddenly releases 31000 pages, recordings and notes two weeks before trial forcing Bragg to grant a 30 day delay, Trump requested 90, for the defense to review the information. Damn, they are good at what they do, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

And the hits just keep on coming. SDNY suddenly releases 31000 pages, recordings and notes two weeks before trial forcing Bragg to grant a 30 day delay, Trump requested 90, for the defense to review the information. Damn, they are good at what they do, no doubt. 

He should get something for the $76 million in legal fees he has spent of GOP money over the last two years.

So Trump used to oppose Beijing-owned Tiktok because of the the threat to national security. The could collect data (according to him) and "this data collection threatens to allow the Chinese Communist Party access to Americans’ personal and proprietary information — potentially allowing China to track the locations of federal employees and contractors, build dossiers of personal information for blackmail, and conduct corporate espionage."

Well as someone who is so opposed to Chinese control of US media, that makes sense.

But he also needs money.  And so he met with republican megadonor Jeff Yass.  His company, Susquehanna International Group, has a 15% stake in ByteDance - the company that owns TikTok.  And no word on how much money Yass promised him for his services, but suddenly he is 100% in support of Tiktok.

"Frankly, there are a lot of people on TikTok that love it.  There are a lot of young kids on TikTok who will go crazy without it. There are a lot of users, a lot of good.”  And he said Tiktok was important as an alternate to Facebook, since he "consider[s] Facebook to be an enemy of the American people."

I wonder how much that cost?

2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Well at least the election will be fraud free.  The RNC has hired election denier Christina Bobb as its Election Integrity lawyer.

I've got a lot of concerns about Trump pulling off a win in November....first and foremost is the concern that there's a sizable chunk of the population that's stoked about the prospect of giving that maniac another 4 years.  The fact that Trump's MAGA-fying the RNC, installing the craziest of the crazies to run the show and almost certainly planning to use it as a piggy-bank for legal fees all work to providing a glimmer of hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lippy said:

I've got a lot of concerns about Trump pulling off a win in November....first and foremost is the concern that there's a sizable chunk of the population that's stoked about the prospect of giving that maniac another 4 years.  The fact that Trump's MAGA-fying the RNC, installing the craziest of the crazies to run the show and almost certainly planning to use it as a piggy-bank for legal fees all work to providing a glimmer of hope.

There IS a valid fear that he could win again.

I'm less and less worried about it as time goes by.

The polls showing him leading Biden are somewhat suspect. There's a lot of reasons to question their validity.
The biggest reason is how they've done for the primaries. While Trump won all the primaries but one, he didn't even come close to the margin of victory the polls predicted. Some polls had him winning by double what he actually won by.

So polls that show him a few percent above Biden don't bother me much.

The idea that the RNC is now being run by Trump's minions is fucking hilarious.

It's abundantly clear that Trump is going to loot the bank accounts to pay for all his 'troubles'.

As a result, the ability of the RNC to support any other candidates is going to be highly compromised. 

So Republicans everywhere are going to get shortchanged. And screwed over. And will lose.
I'm sure there are some Rs that have enough on their own to win. And there are quite a few that are in districts so solid that the winner is going to be an "R". 

lot of the big donors won't want the money they donate to go into Trump's pocket. So donations will drop. They already are. 

Trump is likely going to do more damage to the Republican party than anyone thought possible back in 2015.

It's tempting to call this a 'nail in the coffin', or a 'death knell', and it may well be.
But that's not certain.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The polls showing him leading Biden are somewhat suspect. There's a lot of reasons to question their validity.
The biggest reason is how they've done for the primaries. While Trump won all the primaries but one, he didn't even come close to the margin of victory the polls predicted. Some polls had him winning by double what he actually won by.

So polls that show him a few percent above Biden don't bother me much.

As one pundit I follow has said:

"Polls give you an accurate reading of the political leanings of the portion of the demographic who still picks up the phone for unknown callers."

I haven't picked up for unknown callers for well over a decade.

Just now, ryoder said:

As one pundit I follow has said:

"Polls give you an accurate reading of the political leanings of the portion of the demographic who still picks up the phone for unknown callers."

I haven't picked up for unknown callers for well over a decade.

There's also the issue that poll firms call land lines.

I haven't had a land line for well over a decade.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There's also the issue that poll firms call land lines.

I haven't had a land line for well over a decade.

I got rid of my landline in January 2013. And the only reason I kept it that long was because having 2 phones was useful for WFH for the job I quit in Dec 2012.

11 hours ago, wmw999 said:

One can but hope.

Wendy P.

am hopeful.

But the amount of shit that Trumpty Dumpty has done that would have destroyed 'mere mortal' candidates is inconceivable (yes, I know what that word means).

On the 'hopeful' side, he's done a damned good job of destroying everything and everyone he touches.
So his taking over the GOP is a pretty good indicator that it's doomed.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:24 PM, lippy said:

Anybody who has ever had to get a security clearance knows that large debts are a disqualifier. Having a president who is known to only care about his wealth needing a lot of money should be seen as a large national security risk.

40 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Anybody who has ever had to get a security clearance knows that large debts are a disqualifier. Having a president who is known to only care about his wealth needing a lot of money should be seen as a large national security risk.

This is one of the many reasons why he shouldn’t be President, but there’s no shortage of people who don’t give a shit. I ditched FB a while ago, but there’s no shortage of LinkedIn posts from my oil and gas contacts who are full-on mainlining the KoolAid.  

12 hours ago, lippy said:

This is one of the many reasons why he shouldn’t be President, but there’s no shortage of people who don’t give a shit. I ditched FB a while ago, but there’s no shortage of LinkedIn posts from my oil and gas contacts who are full-on mainlining the KoolAid.  

Maybe many, but the one over-riding reason is that he is a lying crook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

How appropriate - the campaign of a proven con-man is considering hiring a convicted fraud to help with his campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/18/us/politics/manafort-rnc-trump.html

It should also be noted that Manafort was convicted of conspiracy against the United States along with a Russian agent.  His campaign has now very literally colluded with Russia to get Trump elected.

During the buildup to the Holocaust, German leaders started portraying Jews as having less and less humanity, unable to have the human emotions of love, remorse, regret and fear.  This dehumanization made it easier for the German people to tolerate atrocities against them, because they were not really human, and thus normal human compassion did not apply.

Trump at his latest rally, talking about immigrants: "I don’t know if you call them people.  In some cases they’re not people, in my opinion. But I’m not allowed to say that because the radical left says that’s a terrible thing to say.”

Very interesting experience being in the US recently. Down in Georgia there was no political discussion at the dz, however many of the people that I met and am now connected with on FB are overwhelmingly Trump supporters. 

It was completely different at Perris DZ where there was alot of political discussion and I don't recall anyone who was not pro Trump. 

In rural Georgia I saw a single Trump flag on a property and expected to see more.

As an outsider I noticed a few big changes since I was last in the US. Food is considerably more expensive and lots of homeless people, both in Georgia and LA

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Is that right? You mean at Perris they were all Trump supporters?

They're not.  Heck, the DZ manager is very much a non Trumpie.  But non-Trump supporters now know to not talk about it, to avoid the attacks against them.

• Like 1