2 2
brenthutch

Hurricane season

(edited)
42 minutes ago, olofscience said:

And I'll ask it again, what were you going to suggest to spend it on?

Not on fucking healthcare, that's for sure.

How about not spending it at all?  Speaking of healthcare…

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2301257

“…ambulances lined up outside hospitals, unable to hand over their patients; patients lying at home with fractured hips, unattended by ambulances; emergency department waiting times exceeding 12 hours; and hospital corridors crowded with patients unable to be admitted. The Royal College of Emergency Medicine estimated in December that 300 to 500 people were dying each week because of these delays.” 

Who would have thought, socialized medicine more deadly than climate change

Edited by brenthutch

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You mean the party you guys keep in power election after election after election after election?

Don't look at me, I've never voted for them, ever.

But yeah they keep voting them in - not working out well, is it? The UK has an ageing population and the boomers who kept mostly voting for the Conservatives are now the ones who need the medical system the most.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Government said: Maui County Police Chief John Pelletier, “Nobody saw this coming. Period.”

Government also said: “as dry lands, coupled with “strong and gusty easterly winds and low humidities,” create “critical fire weather conditions.”

“Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly,”

As with most wildfires, it has nothing to do with global warming, it has everything to do with poor land management and incompetent government.

Those first two statements are not mutually exclusive. 

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

We just spent around a trillion dollars to combat climate change, how did that work out for the folks in Hawaii?

We spent far more than that on World War II and veteran's care (in 2023 dollars.)  How did that work out for World War II vets?  As far as I can tell, 99.9% of them are DEAD.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You mean the party you guys keep in power election after election after election after election?

Yeah - because just like you, a bunch of us over here are apparently stupid enough to think that the government trying not to spend money on anything more than the absolute bare minimum level of service is better than committing to spending sufficient money on a wide enough range of services in the first place.

Thanks for pointing out just how catastrophic those policies can be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

Don't look at me, I've never voted for them, ever.

But yeah they keep voting them in - not working out well, is it? The UK has an ageing population and the boomers who kept mostly voting for the Conservatives are now the ones who need the medical system the most.

Hi Olaf,

I've always been amused on how that works.  Some people have absolutely no thoughts further than the day after tomorrow.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

Well ... Then let's hear it ... I've been in Florida for 24 years now. I was also in some in Georgia.

Jesus christ, you really think you're special aren't you?

They're 19-40 miles in diameter and you think "not many people" have been inside one?

I don't quite remember the name of that one, but seeing blue sky after very strong winds - then strong winds again as the eye moved away was interesting, but I've had much more memorable experiences.

11 hours ago, Slim King said:

Someone here called me a dick sucker but the Mods did nothing. I'm beginning to think there is a problem here. But as far as hurricanes I'll bet I've been through more of them than anyone on this thread. Who else has stood in the EYE of a Hurricane???? Just me I'll bet!!!!

I didn't see that comment.

And I've stood in the eye of two of them, but then I lived in Houston for 40+ years. Jerry and Ike.  Jerry was a pussycat, but Ike was pretty nasty for lots of folks (we were OK). Been in a couple of others, and a number of pretty significant tropical depression that flooded Houston out in 1981 or so.

Wedy P.