1 1
billvon

GOP wants to "extinguish the left"

At least they are coming out and admitting it now.   A GOP party chairman, Anthony Sabatini, was speaking to high schoolers in Florida when he announced the goals of the GOP.

"The only thing that's good enough is to completely and totally destroy the left in this county. Destroy it! . .  We need to extinguish the left."

So all you schoolteachers out there?  All you people who support minority rights, LGBT rights and the environment?   People who prefer science to angry rhetoric and political agendas?  You people who think the US should have religious freedom and the right to free speech, and who think banning books is a bad thing?  Healthcare workers, people who work for the justice system, and people who work for the VA?  Military families that rely on base housing?  They are coming for you.

2 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

And you dont think the left wants to destroy the GOP? Hell theres people on here that think and post that the GOP needs destroying. What is it good one way and not the other? 

Because one party still believes in democracy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

And you dont think the left wants to destroy the GOP? Hell theres people on here that think and post that the GOP needs destroying. What is it good one way and not the other? 

No.  Look back over the past two years.  Which party has compromised?  And which party has tried to "tear it all down" to hurt the other side?

Consider two political issues - support for new nuclear power plants and support for gender-affirming care.  On the nuclear power issue you'll get close to 100% support on the right (since they have adopted that as an issue) and something like 25% support on the left.  Some liberals will support nuclear since it's a low-carbon power source.  Most will not due to concerns over safety and nuclear waste.

On the gender-affirming care issue, you will get 95% support from liberals, and exactly 0% from conservatives.  For them the issue is not whether that sort of care is a good thing or not.  Their one and only issue is destroying the woke libs - as Sabatini pointed out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

People on here aren’t senior party officials making speeches to kids.

Hell, if a Democrat said that at a school event in Florida DeSantis would have a bill banning it ready to go tomorrow.

• Like 2

(edited)
52 minutes ago, BartsDaddy said:

And you dont think the left wants to destroy the GOP?

No.

Ten years ago most conservatives, liberals, and moderates supported being able to have rational discussions with people that had disagreements on policies. They could disagree on issues without needing to vilify the individual. There was some common understanding of the importance of facts.

Back then I would have considered myself a conservative except for my positions on personal liberties like marriage equality and abortion rights. Lots of my skydiving friends were way more liberal than 10 year younger me. I didn't want to destroy any of them, and I could have polite constructive conversations with them where we actually could debate the reasons behind our positions.

Ten years later I absolutely wouldn't consider myself a conservative. Not because my views have changed that drastically, but because the right has sprinted off towards extremism while I remained mostly sane.

I don't want to destroy the GOP, I just would like them to return to reality.

I would like for there to be a sanity check around personal liberties, I would like a return to some amount of civility, and I would like people to go back to respecting facts and intellectual honesty. 

There are currently over a million conservatives who actually believe in the validity of QAnon. There are people way too many people that genuinely believe all of Trump's election fraud falsehoods. Lets not forget all of the anti-science and insane quackery during the peak of covid. Horse dewormer anyone? I didn't willfully sign up to have that be a significant part of my nations political environment. I don't want to destroy them, but some mental healthcare would be a compassionate response.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, DougH said:

No.

Ten years ago most conservatives, liberals, and moderates supported being able to have rational discussions with people that had disagreements on policies. They could disagree on issues without needing to vilify the individual. There was some common understanding of the importance of facts.

Back then I would have considered myself a conservative except for my positions on personal liberties like marriage equality and abortion rights. Lots of my skydiving friends were way more liberal than 10 year younger me. I didn't want to destroy any of them, and I could have polite constructive conversations with them where we actually could debate the reasons behind our positions.

Ten years later I absolutely wouldn't consider myself a conservative. Not because my views have changed that drastically, but because the right has sprinted off towards extremism while I remained mostly sane.

I don't want to destroy the GOP, I just would like them to return to reality.

I would like for there to be a sanity check around personal liberties, I would like a return to some amount of civility, and I would like people to go back to respecting facts and intellectual honesty. 

There are currently over a million conservatives who actually believe in the validity of QAnon. There are people way too many people that genuinely believe all of Trump's election fraud falsehoods. Lets not forget all of the anti-science and insane quackery during the peak of covid. Horse dewormer anyone? I didn't willfully sign up to have that be a significant part of my nations political environment. I don't want to destroy them, but some mental healthcare would be a compassionate response.

Hi Doug,

What a wonderful post.  THANK YOU,

Jerry Baumchen

9 hours ago, billvon said:

"The only thing that's good enough is to completely and totally destroy the left in this county. Destroy it! . .  We need to extinguish the left."

In the words of Woody Guthrie "they are mean, just plain mean."

17 hours ago, BartsDaddy said:

And you don't think the left wants to destroy the GOP? Hell there's people on here that think and post that the GOP needs destroying. What is it good one way and not the other? 

Since when is the GOP the 'entire right'?

Check out the Lincoln Project. 

There are a LOT of conservatives that want to see the GOP go away.

OTOH, there are a lot of conservatives that want ANYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH THEM to 'disappear'.
To be 'eliminated'.

19 hours ago, billvon said:

People who prefer science to angry rhetoric and political agendas?  You people who think the US should have religious freedom and the right to free speech, and who think banning books is a bad thing?  Healthcare workers, people who work for the justice system, and people who work for the VA?  Military families that rely on base housing?  They are coming for you.

Quoting that portion that I believe as a conservative right-wing Christian. Do you suppose it is a spritual problem? Do you think Baal, Molech and Ishtar are at work in America?

29 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Quoting that portion that I believe as a conservative right-wing Christian. Do you suppose it is a spritual problem? Do you think Baal, Molech and Ishtar are at work in America?

We have enough evil from  Gaetz,  Trump and Boebert to worry about mythical beings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Yes, it is easier to worry about Soros, Obama and Biden and the evil they have wrought.

Please explain because I cannot see what you see and that's a fact. Not in broad, general terms but specifically what each has individually done that is evil. Just the top 3-5 offenses each if you don't mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Quoting that portion that I believe as a conservative right-wing Christian . . .

Then you may be in the wrong party.  As a good example:

Yes, it is easier to worry about Soros, Obama and Biden and the evil they have wrought.

I am sure that you have been led to believe that, and that Donald Trump (who has been found liable for sexual assault of a woman, and who has claimed that US veterans are "suckers" and "losers") is morally superior to Joe Biden (who is merely creepy to some people.)   But I think if you applied some critical thinking you'd realize that one is actually worse than the other.

The right avoids such critical thinking, since it tends to blunt the outrage that they have weaponized and used to garner support.

55 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Trump: found guilty of fraud, twice, by courts.

Trump:  found guilty of sexual assault by a court.

Trump: under indictment for obstruction of justice and mishandling classified documents.

Trump: over 30,000 documented, provable lies.

Trump: admitted adulterer.

Trump: admits to "pussy grabbing" and getting away with it because he's famous.

Explain how Obama or Biden are worse.  Details, please, not just Q talking points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Please explain because I cannot see what you see and that's a fact. Not in broad, general terms but specifically what each has individually done that is evil. Just the top 3-5 offenses each if you don't mind.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

...Explain how Obama or Biden are worse.  Details, please, not just Q talking points.

Please dear Lord, spare us all from the gossip of the warrens. The talking points of the internet Research Agency, the Russian Web Brigades, Et al.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Trump: under indictment for obstruction of justice and mishandling classified documents.

Explain how Obama or Biden are worse.  Details, please, not just Q talking points.

Hi John,

Do not hold your breath waiting for his answer.

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, kallend said:

See where this is going. Tit for tat or one upsmanship.

You can lead a liberal to water but first they have to analyze it to see if it is wet.

I operate with the gifts of the Spirit, as to the best of my ability. See 1Cor:12.

11 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

You can lead a liberal to water but first they have to analyze it to see if it is wet.

I operate with the gifts of the Spirit, as to the best of my ability. See 1Cor:12.

Hi Ron,

So, where is your response?

Jerry Baumchen

8 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Tit for tat would imply there are equal misdeeds going in both directions. There are not. Donald Trump has wrought much evil, both at a personal level and to the country as a whole. Obama and Biden haven't.

You can lead a liberal to water but first they have to analyze it to see if it is wet.

Yes, it's so unreasonable of liberals not to simply believe you when you say Biden and Obama are evil without any examples or evidence. Clearly, this is their problem and not yours.

34 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

You don't have a gift of the spirit, you just have an ability to disregard any and all facts that don't jibe with your prejudices..

Try re-reading the Ten Commandments and Matthew 5 - 7 and asking yourself HONESTLY how your hero shapes up.

43 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

You have made it quite clear that feelings mean all and facts mean nothing. This is why your posts and opinions are mostly regarded as worthless.

• Like 3