brenthutch

A lighthearted comedy for the season

On 12/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, brenthutch said:

I predict this will be the blockbuster hit of the season.

Moderation gripes deleted.

It's unfortunate that one effective way to discredit a stance is to have a clueless spokesman support it.  Having bushy-tailed, bright-eyed youngsters convinced they are going to "save the planet," tends to dilute the work of people who actually have any idea about the fundamentals involved.

Nitwits discussing the radiation heat transfer characteristics of the planet as though it was some kind of holistic exercise is painful to watch.

One problem regarding the 'Climate Change' movement is that it has all the trappings of a religion.  It is founded on beliefs ('the science is settled...'), is singularly intolerant of heresy ('deniers!') and cherry picks the 'data' used to support its system of belief.

When someone comes up with claims of 'cold fusion,' 'perpetual motion' or whatever, physicists typically evaluate the claims using dispassionate challenges before rejecting the claims as unfounded.

With 'Climate Change,' anyone who questions much of anything about it is labeled a 'troll' immediately, subject to scorn and abuse.  P.A.s that would be be cause for being banned on much of any other topic are not only accepted but put forth by 'moderators.' 

When I run the numbers it appears that 'Climate Change' is a symptom more than a problem in and of itself.  Systems optimization entails the use of a 'cost function,' and this cost function is not set in stone.  The cartoon showing a home as seen by the homeowner, tax assessor, insurance adjustor, fire department and so forth is an example of this.

The idea that there is one universal set of values regarding much of anything is fundamentally flawed, but is characteristic of most any religion.  The conclusions drawn thereby are not necessarily wrong, but they may as well be.

BSBD,

Winsor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winsor said:

When I run the numbers it appears that 'Climate Change' is a symptom more than a problem in and of itself.

Maybe so, but if it's a symptom that, in the long run, can lead to existential problems, maybe it should be addressed. The treatment for cholera, for instance, is largely symptomatic.

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, winsor said:

With 'Climate Change,' anyone who questions much of anything about it is labeled a 'troll' immediately, subject to scorn and abuse. 

You are confusing the politics of the matter with the science. Climate change is real. Politics are real. 

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Is this not just a limited theatrical release of something that was always intended to be a streaming product? 

The critics gave it an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes, the actual audience reaction was so bad it didn’t even register 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/to_the_end

I guess we will just have to add this to the, ever growing, “get woke go broke” file.

9 hours ago, winsor said:

With 'Climate Change,' anyone who questions much of anything about it is labeled a 'troll' immediately, subject to scorn and abuse.

I know two scientists who are doing just that - specifically questioning whether the number of hurricanes really increase when the climate warms, and whether methane is really a long term problem for climate change.  Neither has been labeled a troll.

The label of "troll" has more to do with the person's approach than what they are working on.

When I run the numbers it appears that 'Climate Change' is a symptom more than a problem in and of itself.  

Climate change is absolutely a symptom of the underlying problem i.e. the increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gases.  But since such symptoms are causing things like floods, droughts, heat waves etc the cause is worth understanding (and trying to mitigate.)

The idea that there is one universal set of values regarding much of anything is fundamentally flawed, but is characteristic of most any religion.

There are fairly universal values out there.  Genocide is wrong.  Rape is wrong.  Accidentally killing lots of people (via, for example, negligence at a pesticide factory in India) is wrong.  Making others suffer to fulfill your desires is wrong.

Thus there are some fundamental starting points everyone can agree on.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

i.e. the increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

My kid is in advanced biology in HS (she gets it from her mother) and is learning this now. I'm right now helping her with finals and have to say; it is being taught as a science and not as a political perspective.  

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I guess we will just have to add this to the, ever growing, “get woke go broke” file.

So in your mind, the fact that a documentary, in December 2022, didn't set box-office records is evidence that climate change isn't real???  Damn dude, lay off the Tucker for a minute and use your fucking brain...You're obviously smart enough, stop being led around by the nose

29 minutes ago, lippy said:

So in your mind, the fact that a documentary, in December 2022, didn't set box-office records is evidence that climate change isn't real???  Damn dude, lay off the Tucker for a minute and use your fucking brain...You're obviously smart enough, stop being led around by the nose

Yep. I agree he's smart and have maintained that all along. I've also maintained we are the chumps he uses to hone his arguments. In his chosen circle, or small pond I'm guessing, he's an anti climate crybaby hero. Be it climate change or anything else I'm thinking that's his schtick.

57 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Yep. I agree he's smart and have maintained that all along. I've also maintained we are the chumps he uses to hone his arguments. In his chosen circle, or small pond I'm guessing, he's an anti climate crybaby hero. Be it climate change or anything else I'm thinking that's his schtick.

Joe, you’ve been posting some pessimistic shit as of late and I’m able to roll through most of it. The thought that we’re but pawns in Brent’s game is almost enough to have me looking for an extension cord that’ll make it to the bathtub

11 hours ago, lippy said:

Joe, you’ve been posting some pessimistic shit as of late and I’m able to roll through most of it. The thought that we’re but pawns in Brent’s game is almost enough to have me looking for an extension cord that’ll make it to the bathtub

Pawns? Never! Rooks, Bishops and Knights? Quite possibly.

59 minutes ago, kallend said:

From eia.gov

“In 2021, U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions increased by 7%, or 325 MMmt (Figure 1). This was the largest annual increase in U.S. energy-related CO2emissions on record, both in absolute and percentage terms”

Not only can renewables not replace fossil fuels they can’t even keep pace with the increase in demand from economic growth. This isn’t just true in the US, it is true across the globe.

Edited by brenthutch

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From eia.gov

“In 2021, U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions increased by 7%, or 325 MMmt (Figure 1). This was the largest annual increase in U.S. energy-related CO2emissions on record, both in absolute and percentage terms”

Not only can renewables not replace fossil fuels they can’t even keep pace with the increase in demand from economic growth. This isn’t just true in the US, it is true across the globe.

In what realm does it make sense to celebrate the fact that we're increasing our appetite for a resource that we'll eventually run out of?  Cutting off one's nose to own the libs.

2 hours ago, lippy said:

In what realm does it make sense to celebrate the fact that we're increasing our appetite for a resource that we'll eventually run out of?  Cutting off one's nose to own the libs.

The right wing is not known for subtlety or deep thought. It is always reactionary and judgmental. Always looking back and seldom forward is another strong trait. When most of the world is moving steadily away from your posistion I guess you begin to look for any victory you can grasp onto no matter how slippery it may be.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lippy said:

Not trying to “own the Libs,” I’m just providing a much needed reality check.

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not trying to “own the Libs,” I’m just providing a much needed reality check.

Right, a reality check from "the midterms' red trickle was EVEN BETTER than the huge red wave I was predicting because 5D chess" person :rofl:

Yep, definitely grounded in reality. /s

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Right, a reality check from "the midterms' red trickle was EVEN BETTER than the huge red wave I was predicting because 5D chess" person :rofl:

Yep, definitely grounded in reality. /s

A win is a win, Pelosi is out and Biden’s legislative agenda is stopped.  Whether one wins the Super Bowl by one point or by fifty, the size of the trophy is the same. In this case the trophy is the Speaker’s gavel.

Edited by brenthutch