chemist

not recognizing skydivers I've met before/jumped with

so this just happened a second time this summer to me, I introduced myself to with someone was about to jump with and we jump etc... then a few days later I am looking over some old footage and lo and behold I had jumped with the guy before! (albeit months ago, but less than a year)

It was weird both times just seeing a pic or clip of an old jump and there those guys are jumping with me. On one of them it was even kind of a more of a memorable jump for me not just some rando 4 way so I was surprised not to remember

Does this ever happen to anyone often? I feel like an ass just introducing myself because they might be thinking what the hell doesn't this guy remember we jumped before? haha

Also worried about my memory deteriorating at such a young age, or maybe it's natural when you meet 100s of people a year to become desensitized to remembering everyone you jump with?

Don't worry; when you get to be my age you won't be able to remember that you ever had a good memory.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Oh yeah. Well most of the time I see them, they have a full-face helmet on, that doesn't help. But yeah, it's weird, someone will introduce themselves and say "We've probably jumped together before." If I stop and think about it, I can usually remember.

I'm not sure if it's just because I'm interacting with so many more people at the DZ than I usually do, or if it's because I'm paying more attention to my equipment and dive flow for my next jump. It seems to be pretty common among skydivers, though. I know the regulars pretty well, so if they stay around more than just a couple jumps, I'll start to get to know them.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I ask my tandem student if he ever jumped before, and the guy says yes. I ask him where, and he says it was here, last weekend with me.

Same thing happened with a fun jumper as well. I was LO-ing, and I ask the dude when and where did you start jumping, and the guy replies that I taught his FJC 2 years ago. I told the guy that he must have been decent student, since I only remember horrible students.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I've had tandem students come up to me and ask me if I remember them. I usually move behind them, look at the back of their head, and say "nope, don't recognize you!" Usually they laugh and I apologize and explain that with meeting 2-300 tandems a year it would have to be something exceptional for me to remember them.

Don't feel bad and don't be embarrassed. Another thing to remember is to reintroduce yourself even when there is the initial recognition. I consider it a courtesy to help someone out who might be struggling to recall my name even if just by giving them my first name.

I've been at it long enough that most of my old friends don't look anything near like they did in our heyday. We're shorter, greyer and can't hear shit but damn we were good!

Jon

I'm sorry, who are you again?

I'm horrible with names. Always was and it's getting worse. As a teacher, I work with about 500 students a year. The names I remember from the grade book, the faces I remember from the classes, putting the two together is were I struggle. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I akin part of this to the now; jump, split, next weekend syndrome. Rather, than the hang around at night, have a beer, bonfire, sleep at the DZ and actually get to know jumpers.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

yes organizing at a big DZ and a boogie here and there I get to jump with a lot of people. Some may have been a year or more since we jumped together. Usually once we start talking about the when and where it will come back to me
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Happens all the time to me. It certainly doesn't help that people look different when all geared up than in their street clothes, either. I'm not one of those people who are great with names and faces, who can meet someone once at a party and then sell them an investment two weeks later.

Some solutions include but are not limited to;

"I'm sorry, I've completely forgotten your name"
"What's your name, again?"
and so on...

Don't sweat it. :)

Remembering names and faces is something I've always been poor at and work at constantly. I've got my name embroidered on my rig, my jumpsuit and painted on my helmet. Plus it's about as common of a name as you can get.

Plus, being very happily married for 30 years, I tend to forget attractive women's names as quickly as I can. ;):D

a BIG part of the Fun of skydiving, is getting to meet and Jump with many different people... I do pretty well with placing people and can remember names , for the most part. One of the reasons I got into video and stills, is so that AFTER I leave the DZ,, I can still review pics and vids, in order to help Names, stick in my head.
The More likely scenario is that OTHERS seldom remember Me..:S;)B| I guess I have THAT effect on folks....:o:);)

I never say, " I forgot your Name".... that seems as though I'm kinda "disinterested " in them and so I usually say, " I remember YOU, :)
works better.
happy 2015 Everyone
jmy

I was talking to an instructor at a boogie, while he was also talking to another instructor about a specific student. Neither could remember the student's name and the student was approaching us. Whispered to me, Please introduce yourself to this student so I can get the name. Awkward! 3 seconds to think if a smooth way to jump in as the student clearly was headed to talk to the instructor. Me, "Hey, didn't I see you here yesterday's, I'm Dan".........

I often just ask. Yes.....I thought we had. No......I must have you confused with someone else but you look familar.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

JohnMitchell

Plus, being very happily married for 30 years, I tend to forget attractive women's names as quickly as I can. ;):D

and that, ladies and gentlemen... is how you stay happily married for 30 years ;)

Whenever my wife asks "do you remember that woman..." "NO!"

and that ends that...
You are not the contents of your wallet.