What out-of-the-ordinary things do you do for safety?

but who cares more about a packjob a packer who is packing for cash, or me a person who is packing to save my own life?

Riggers pack reserves for cash! :$:o

Sparky

Looking at what they get for a reserve pack job I can't believe that they only do it for the cash :P
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

So do we have to pay 4x more for packers to have better results in 4x more time? ;)

This from someone with one chop every 68 jumps. I haven't had one in over 1000 or so jumps. Sounds like a good investment in time and money for you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>sure, but it's still effort on a hot day in Davis.

Oh, no argument there. Of course, just wearing a black jumpsuit and dirt diving during the day in Perris is an effort. But if you want to, you can pack for yourself and still make 10 jumps a day.

Check straps, check handles, twirl rings, rub rabbit foot for good luck. Never, ever, forget to rub your rabbit foot.

You do have a rabbit foot, don't you?

That rabbit foot wasn't very lucky for the rabbit, now was it???

:P

Anyway, printed on a little extra slip of paper with the packing data card in my rigs is:

"Meet me Jesus, Meet me
Meet me in the middle of the air
And if my wings should fail me Lord
Please meet me with another pair."

Okay, maybe more superstition then safety, but so far so good.

... and if you can name the group and song that's from without having to google it on the Internet... ;):P

>"Meet me Jesus, Meet me
>Meet me in the middle of the air
>And if my wings should fail me Lord
>Please meet me with another pair."

Sounds remarkably like America:

Will you meet me in the middle
Will you meet me in the air?
Will you love me just a little
Just enough to show you care

>"Meet me Jesus, Meet me
>Meet me in the middle of the air
>And if my wings should fail me Lord
>Please meet me with another pair."

Sounds remarkably like America:

Will you meet me in the middle
Will you meet me in the air?
Will you love me just a little
Just enough to show you care

>:(

Comparing Led Zeppelin to America is not a "safe" thing to do BillV!

:P
;)
:)

rub rabbit foot for good luck. Never, ever, forget to rub your rabbit foot.

You do have a rabbit foot, don't you?

That rabbit foot wasn't very lucky for the rabbit, now was it???

Nowadays we don't leave crippled rabbits hobbling around the woods like we used to in the good old days. The rabbit's feet sold now are just synthetic look-a-likes.

Uh-oh, it just occurred to me: maybe that means they no longer hold their magical luck power... Ack!

As for extraordinary things I do...every time I dump, I assume that I will have a high speed mal...like I TRUELY believe I will have one.

And I give my pilot chute a solid throw to clear my burble.

The thought of a high speed mal makes me more nervous than anything else in the sport.

my 32nd jump was a pc in tow. Its all kinda blury now. I remember throwing the pc and going to the "boxman" position. A few seconds later i thought to myself...hmm...nothings happening. I kinda froze up. I think i was thinking no f'in way!!! this is not happening. Finally around 1000 i snapped out of it and pulled my reserve. It sure hurt to have my reserve come out while still in ff. But i guess it would have hurt more to have the ground brake my fall. Anyway, the fear didn't hit me till after i had landed. I turned white. One comment that stands out really good to me was "your face is as white as your helmet" I had just boght a new white helmet.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

When I'm at the dz and not jumping I stand in the landing area with a video camera and film as many landings as possible. Then I throw the footage up on the TV in the hangar at the end of the day for everyone to watch and hopefully learn from.

Can't believe this thread is still going... and with, for the most part, just ordinary things...

So, since I feel like blabbing.....

Here's what I do that is 'out of the ordinary'. I do all the ordinary things too.

- always boot up my equipment when I first get to the DZ - no exceptions. (That is set my CYPRES and dirt alert when I get to the DZ - not when I have a gear up call for my first jump, I boot up when I get to the DZ)

- gear check my gear after the last full dress dirt dive (before boarding)

- put my helmet on all the way when boarding. It keeps my hands free to check handles, move seatbelts etc, also protects against those occasional head butts when seating yourself

- check that the right side bench peg is in the hole in the floor. It is always a pain when the bench falls a few inches on takeoff. Scares the crap outta everyone and can give you bruises on the back of your calves.

- make sure my legs are not underneath the benches.

- make sure O2 hoses pass over both 'support' lines when at Perris for O2 jumps, even if on turn loads for others going to O2 altitudes

- monitor the cloud base, if there is one

- monitor the entire route to altitude. This lets me know if we are over rising terrain - just in case there was some sort of emergency exit.

- softly clench my teeth together on exit so when that foot kicks me under the chin I won't bite my tongue or chip my teeth.

- check my altitude after pulling, especially when the main is slow to open. Check altitude, check parachute, check altitude, check parachute, exit routine when main opens or at decision altitude, whichever comes first.

- work into the pattern to land at the gate

I am sure there are more idiosyncrasies that I do, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Here's what I do that is 'out of the ordinary'. I do all the ordinary things too.

I can't speak for the items related to O2 or to bench seating, but all the others are pretty normal, with the possible exception of this good idea:

- monitor the entire route to altitude. This lets me know if we are over rising terrain - just in case there was some sort of emergency exit.

Who do you think can pack more reliably, a person with 100 pack jobs or someone with 1000's.

That's why I pack for myself unless I really know the packer!!!!

Great openings Sunday!

Blue Skies!

Harry

"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Why replace them before they break?

They will either break when you are stowing the lines or during deployment.

If it breaks while you are packing then replace it. If it breaks during deployment then replace it the next time you pack.

DITTO!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Why replace them before they break?

They will either break when you are stowing the lines or during deployment.

If it breaks while you are packing then replace it. If it breaks during deployment then replace it the next time you pack.

DITTO!

... what if a "marginal" rubber band or tube stow "survives" "just one more line stow", but breaks when you put the bag into the container? Now you've got a bunch of "loose" line just waiting to half hitch around something on deployment... ever think of that... B|

Well if you want to take every thing literally to the max, you can pick on every post!! If its has a tear or chunk out of it , its replaced .... Geez :S

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!