adventurechick

Get back on the horse... or plane I might say?

I've heard contradicting answers, and I'm pretty much polling the audience. If you had a bad jump, where you landed in not the greatest of places, but was ok... just scratched up and bruised... would you take that as a sign not to jump again that day and come back another day... or would you get back on the plane to get it right. Just curious.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

When I had less than about 200 jumps and I either had a bad jump or saw an incident of some sort I kind of forced myself to jump again to help mitigate the fear that inevitable occurs. Now with a bit more experience it doesn’t matter either way. Bad stuff happens, I know that, if I have another jump to do I’ll do it. If I was going to be done for the day anyway then I’m done - it doesn’t matter too much what happened on the prior jump.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I've heard contradicting answers, and I'm pretty much polling the audience. If you had a bad jump, where you landed in not the greatest of places, but was ok... just scratched up and bruised... would you take that as a sign not to jump again that day and come back another day... or would you get back on the plane to get it right. Just curious.

That depends on why I would have had the bad landing... If it was due to weather I'd sit out the rest of the day... If it was something I did wrong, or a bad spot I'd be going back up the same day... I hate to end a good day on a bad note...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is get back up there and try again.

Other times, the person in question may benefit from sitting down and really thinking about what they did to end up in that bad situation.

Said to me once - "Go sit in the corner and think about what you just did!'

My reply - "But you just told me to stay out of the corner!"

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I had one of those on my second aff and the first thing i said when i got up was, "i'm never jumping again!" But I went back the next weekend and jumped again. I guess all you can do is just learn from what you did wrong and try not to do it again.

Having a severe injury then coming back to jump is a little different, but causes the same anxiety.

After my injury and 5 months of recuperation and PT before the MD would give me a release, I went from looking forward to my next jump to asking myself "Why am I doing this?"

Think what made it easier for me was the days I spent at the dz and encouragement I got from everyone including other jumpers who had come back from an injury.

Of course the anxiety was still there the day I got on the plane and rode to altitude...you know the sweating, nervous laughs, wide open eyes...and then the door opened!

I climbed out and felt the wind and everything was fine again. When it came time to deploy though, I cringed and tensed up badly in anticipation of another hard opening. It took another 10-20 jumps to realize slammer openings were relatively rare.

As for my recurrency jump, doing a 20 way competition jump is probably not a good way to start back! Really don't know what I was thinking and wouldn't do it again.

My experience...On AFF level 5 I cocked up my landing and hurt my right knee. I couldn't walk on it for 24 hours but on the first day that I was able to walk I manifested on the first lift of the day and jumped. I didn't want to give myself the chance to talk my way out of skydiving which a delay might have done. So for me and my peace of mind I had to jump as soon as I was physically able.

I think it all depends on how you react to the situation. You know your reactions better than anyone else and you need to take that into account. When I screw up my emotional reaction is after I'm on the ground, so I pretty much need to keep my feet on the ground until I assess why I screwed up and get over the adrenaline shock. That being said, once I get over that shock I don't carry that fear over into the next day or the next jump. If I did, I would really try to get back up there to keep the fear from building on itself. But for me getting back on the horse right away is the less safe option.

Get back up and jump. As long as conditions aren't actually unsafe (very high winds, thunderstorms, an actual injury that can effect performance, etc.).

I've borrowed rigs from friends so I could get back up and jump after a cutaway. Once or twice I was slammed hard enough thhat it was wise to wait until the next day. But such a huge part of skydiving is mental that you need to stay on top of it or else it can rattle your confidence and scare you away.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I had something similar once happen to me. It was my fault of course, I landed out in a blackberry bush after flying too far from the DZ in one of my early wingsuit jumps (which I still do too often :$, but fortunately I haven't found any more blackberry bushes yet).

I cleaned up the blood, disconnected the wingsuit, bought the wingsuit which I had been borrowing at the time, made sure the canopy and rig were all right, packed it up and got on one more load before leaving the boogie. Everyone was glad to see I was still alright.

I agree with what most people have said here. Stop for a minute, think about what you did wrong, talk to people about it and ask any questions you might have, and then make another jump if you're ready for it and conditions allow. If you let it go too long you'll lose confidence and have it stuck in your head until you get it right.

If you had a bad jump, where you landed in not the greatest of places, but was ok... just scratched up and bruised... would you take that as a sign not to jump again that day and come back another day... or would you get back on the plane to get it right.

"I get knocked down...but I get up again! You're never gonna keep me down!..."
"DOOR!!!"

My day was almost a year ago... :( I miss jumping terribly, and I plan to get back into one day. Right now, I don't know when. Honestly, I think its individual preference.... I wasn't scared per se, but it did take me nearly two months to fully heal, as well as giving me plenty of time to continually kick myself in the rear over making such a stupid landing mistake that could have ended much worse. And I also think that b/c my injury is connected to what was always my weakest part of jumping, (lets say Im flare challenged:S) I am a bit more reluctant to jump right away...
Exodus 20
Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven
1 cross + 3 nails = 4GVN

I just recently had the same problem.....I got right back on the plane after my two cutaways, however when I broke my leg on landing I couldn't obviously go again....I did my first jump two days ago and DIDN"T flare....I had ground rush and just tensed up. I am fine and did another jump the next day with a radio and a friend. I landed fine due to his help, but am still having tunnel vision etc on landing. Everyone tells me that I will get it back, I just have to keep trying, so I will and pray that I don't hurt myself on landing again in the interim stage.

Good luck!!!!1

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

Ride the bull baby ride it

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.