Ragnarok

Getting fingers caught in brakeline......

Had this happen this past weekend. My fingers (first three on my left hand) got caught in the brakeline between the toggle and the loop on the riser. Started to spin, stopped by pulling on the other toggle to level off, checked for traffic and alti. Then I proceeded to free my hand. Scary shit, people, trying to free my hand while spinning. The line kept getting tighter and tighter. Well, it occured to me to pull the line with the other hand to loosen the line over my fingers. Took a bit, but managed to free my hand. I was wearing gloves, but still managed to cut my finger a bit.

I asked another skydiver (I only have 40 jumps) what would be a better way to get my fingers out if it happened again. I was told to basically grab the line above my hand to get it loose, then work my hand free. Easy enough.

Now, I pay attention when unstowing my breaks to make sure I keep my fingers from getting tangled in the line.

Any other advice/tips that I need to know???

Any other advice/tips that I need to know???

god I hate that... but anyway, stow the excess looped line, either behind the riser inside of an added loop, or "s" fold it, and hold it down with the velcro. all depends on what kind of risers you have. ask your rigger what you can do about your excess brake line, and where to stow it.

I carry a knife for many reasons. Haven't had a reason to use it yet, but it's there if I need it.

is it in a good spot to reach with either hand?

Open question - both for suggestions and consideration. An ideal spot for a right handed person may suck if that hand is stuck on the lbrake line.

In diving there are a lot of funny people doing the rambo look with a massive knife on their leg. Totally incompatible with diving in kelp - major snag hazard. Sadly, I've yet to find a lost titanium blade on the bottom.

My best friend died several years ago with this exact situation. He was observed spinning from about 1000' all the way to the ground. When we inspected the body, one of his hands (with thick rubber gloves) was trapped in the brake line. We still don't know why he didn't do exactly what you did and free himself, but two observers on the ground stated that he appeared unconcious as he spun.

Stow all of the brakeline. There's no need to have anything there just hanging out waiting for you to stick your hand through it.

If your risers don't have a way to stow all of it, take it to your local rigger and have them sew some elastic or tape on the back of the rear riser to stow the excess. :|;)

I wear my knife on my chest strap. It's sewn to the back of my altimeter chest mount pillow. Extends down my sternum. It's keeps my pillow from flipping down and is on a part of my that doesn't bend any way. Equally accesable for both hands.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I carry a knife for many reasons. Haven't had a reason to use it yet, but it's there if I need it.

is it in a good spot to reach with either hand?

Ha. I'm an old CReW dog. I wear 3 knives.

I like my Mirage risers. It's been a long, long time since anything like this happened to me. Gives a new meaning to the term "fingertrapping" though.

I think the last time this happened to me, brake lines were long, dacron (so no cuts) and velcro (which never worked for long.)

I think the origional posted did well to stop the spin and thus prevent
disorientation and altitude loss. I know many senior jumpers who wouldn't have the headspace to do that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Excellent.

Could this maybe be included in an FAQ or something of that nature? Would be helpful for others to learn from this as well.

My best friend died several years ago with this exact situation. He was observed spinning from about 1000' all the way to the ground. When we inspected the body, one of his hands (with thick rubber gloves) was trapped in the brake line.

Well, I was about to post something like, "Some day someone is going to die because they got their hand caught in unstowed excess brake line.", but I see it has already happened.

I'm sorry that happened to your friend.

Question for you. Does everyone at your dropzone now stow their excess brake line?

I just can't believe how many people do not do this. I can't think of any reason not to. Can anyone?

Just remember, there's no hurry to unstow brakes. I've seen people reach up as soon as the canopy is open, and pop the brakes loose, without even looking at the toggles. You can steer the canopy just fine with risers. When all is under control, look at the toggles, make sure there is no line anywhere it shouldn't be, and unstow the brakes.

I was asked why I have 5 hook knives on my CRW rig. The answer was obvious - there wasn't room for 6. ;)

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Stow all of the brakeline. There's no need to have anything there just hanging out waiting for you to stick your hand through it.

If your risers don't have a way to stow all of it, take it to your local rigger and have them sew some elastic or tape on the back of the rear riser to stow the excess. :|;)

I had a set of velcroless risers that had no provision for stowing the excess brakeline. I improvised a system that worked really well, by S folding the excess line and placing it underneath the toggle when I stuck the stiffened toggle ends into the elastic keepers. That way the toggle itself holds the excess in place. Later, when I switched canoies I got a new set of risers that had stow loops built in, so I use those now.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Another method I've used when a hand was tangled in the steering line was to put my free hand through the free toggle and use that arm to both stop the spin and untangle the mess on the fouled steering line. This works pretty well for me, I haven't tried the hold it in your teeth method.

You shouldn't have any problems if you're careful stowing and unstowing the brakes.

Also check out this article
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/ControlSysMalf.PDF