gunsmokex

Any advice on training a dog to not bark at canopies?

gunsmokex

So basically I have a hunting dog, took him out to the dropzone and he basically HATES canopies. Any advice on how to break a dog from barking at canopies? I'd like to be able to take him to boogies and don't want him barking at canopies all day.

Leave him at home. Take him hunting.

As has been said, dogs on the DZ are generally unwelcome. Even if your dog is well trained and behaves himself, other people (especially whuffos) will let their dogs out if they see yours. Big open space, ideal place for Rover to have a run and meet the mongrel mob.....

Result, dogshit city.......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions and past experiences on dogs and I'm sure that I'd get sick of people bringing dogs out to DZs too especially if one shit on my container or canopy. I only plan bringing him to one boogie at yes I have previuosly checked with the organizers and it is ok for leashed dogs to be there. Also after going to the boogie this year I saw that it was a place that isn't a bad environment for a dog, in fact after going there I promised myself that I'd bring him along next year.

I'll figure it out no biggie.

sammielu

A tired dog is a happy and quiet dog. Play him hard, away from parachutes, before he gets to be near them. Good owners have good dogs because they only let their dogs be in appropriate situations.

Truly I wish it were that simple. Basically the problem is that chasing after things that fall out of the sky is genetically engrained in this guys head...he's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Not sure if you are familiar with that breed but basially they were taught to retrieve geese out of icy rivers which does a great job of. I just have to convince him that skydivers aren't big geese!

I may have to resort to the bark collar not sure yet but first I will seek out a professional dog trainer first. I have a year to figue it out but yeah exercise he gets plenty of it. He's a 24/7 outside farm dog, never kenneled and has free range. I've socialized him plenty around other dogs and people, he does great and is good well rounded dog. Just has this problem of not liking stuff in the sky that he doesn't think is supposed to be there such as birds of prey, hot air balloons and canopies. Its in his nature to do that though so I can't really blame him I just have to figure out how to train him from not barking at canopies that he thinks shouldn't be up there.

No biggie though just was wondering if anyone out there had any past experience or owned a dog in a similar situation as me.

Lots of DZs have no dogs policy. Dog shit on a $2000 parachute or container is not appreciated.>:( And dogs and planes don't go together well. Check ahead before you consider taking your dog. Unless it's a DZ dog expect it to be on a short leash.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

Lots of DZs have no dogs policy. Dog shit on a $2000 parachute or container is not appreciated.>:( And dogs and planes don't go together well. Check ahead before you consider taking your dog. Unless it's a DZ dog expect it to be on a short leash.

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions and past experiences on dogs and I'm sure that I'd get sick of people bringing dogs out to DZs too especially if one shit on my container or canopy. I only plan bringing him to one boogie at yes I have previuosly checked with the organizers and it is ok for leashed dogs to be there. Also after going to the boogie this year I saw that it was a place that isn't a bad environment for a dog, in fact after going there I promised myself that I'd bring him along next year.

I'll figure it out no biggie.

There was a dog long ago at the old Kapowsin DZ that would only bark at his owner as he came in for a landing.

That was really cool.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Your dog is likely reacting out of fear. He thinks it's his job to protect you from the giant things he's never seen before. You can condition him to change his reaction but you are going to have to put a lot of hours into it, starting with letting him see canopies from way off, and rewarding when he chooses to look away. Then you get a little closer and start over. This book goes into quite a bit of detail and I can tell you from experience that it works. http://www.amazon.com/Behavior-Adjustment-Training-Frustration-Aggression/dp/1617810509

All that said, I'd personally keep my dog away from the DZ for all the reasons others have stated, plus the fact it's likely going to be more of a challenge than fun for him.

My dog is a Chessie. Her JOB is to vocally warn me of things, to retrieve what I send her for, to immediately stop retrieving or going when I tell her too, to potty where she's supposed to, and to communicate anything else (I'm scared because of Thunder/I'm out of water/look at this amazing ball I found/I have a thorn in my foot). She does an amazing job 100% of the time I set her up to do so.

Beyond that, it's my job to only put her in situations where it's appropriate for her to do her job. Retrieving when parachutes land works fine until some dummy skydiver thinks it's appropriate to chase my dog, running and yelling, with a huge partially inflated canopy over his shoulder. Guess what happened? Retrieving over, alert barking on.

I don't take her places she won't understand. Backpacking = yes. Daily swim-retrieving = yes. Leashed park time where little kids can pet and be introduced to dogs for the first time and pet her belly and get kisses = yes. Errand days where she goes for rides and sits in the car (appropriate temperatures of course) = yes. She only stays home when its appropriate. Shooting, bars, sitting in the car when I'm going to be out of the car for a long while, anyone's house with unfriendly dogs, skydiving = no because it won't work well for her.

Don't take your dog places your dog won't be happy to be. If you will hang with your pup and avoid the dz-time-suck-phenomenon, take him to the boogie. If you're going to get caught up and your dog will be an afterthought to put a shock collar on (to make the people more comfortable, definitely not to make the dog more comfortable), not a place for doggie. Do you want to bring your dog because you think he will enjoy some time in a shock collar, or because you think you will enjoy walking and showing off your awesome dog? Whose vacation are we discussing here?

I'm opinionated on this one. I'll happily buy you a beer at the next dog-free skydive time or doggie playtime we meet and listen to your opinion...and hug you after we disagree a lot.