happythoughts

Zhills tradition

My patch has a rainbow 'Z' with the ten stars around it.

Got it on a 10-way round with 'Taff' Jones? who worked in the rigging loft 82/83. After the star we dumped and built a 9-stack which was my ccs. Fun jump. Pink Floyd heard we were doing a stack and ran out to get pics without having a suit on. He couldn't stay with the freefall part of the jump, but got pics of the stack.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

But don't get me wrong. It's a blast no matter what you get out of. Back in the 1980's we used to do a 40 way competition at Z-hills. I always loved doing the big round out of a DC-3.

I was lucky enough to get into the sport just about the time they were still doing those 40 way comps from the 3's at the Hills. I lurked Bird's team a few times. They cleared the Southern Cross 3 like it was on fire. Being in the middle of the lineup was one of the most intense exits I've ever done, next to actually launching a 10 way speed chunks out of the damn things.

I was a little bit back behind you in the line up on Birds team. Just looked through my log books from those days. I had one 40 way star timed at 38.5 seconds out of a DC-3. That was a hell of a dive from way in the back!

Revival of a tradition. The Zhills 10-way patch. The patch was started over 30 years ago. It is back.

10-way speed. Single line. Completion in under 30 second completion. Hold it for 5 seconds.

Mike Woods has been organizing this effort and bringing back the recognition of a skill.

If you are going to be in Zhills, get in touch and participate. :)

Cool. I want one.

Where do you start the build, on the first out (like in Cutaway) or somewhere in the middle of the line? Round star only, or any pre-defined formation?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Revival of a tradition. The Zhills 10-way patch. The patch was started over 30 years ago. It is back.

10-way speed. Single line. Completion in under 30 second completion. Hold it for 5 seconds.

Mike Woods has been organizing this effort and bringing back the recognition of a skill.

If you are going to be in Zhills, get in touch and participate. :)

Cool. I want one.

Where do you start the build, on the first out (like in Cutaway) or somewhere in the middle of the line? Round star only, or any pre-defined formation?

-----------------------------------------------------------
first guy out is the base and yep round star only

I was lucky enough to be on the first succesful 10 way of the re-issue a couple months ago it helps to have Phil Smith and Mike and Patty Woods on your team:P
edited to add: I think our time was a little over 25 sec.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

It was an MS copy of the Jerry Bird teardrop rig. Front and back mounted canopies. Was in a funnel and the reserve container was prematurely opened right in the middle of it.

Oh yeah, the old velcro closing reserves. I had on of those with a navy con. Seemed like good stuff at the time.:D

The patch was the result of long hours with a compass, ruler, and map of Florida on my kitchen table in late 1970 or early '71 and coincided with naming the team Ten High Bunch (triggered in part by the film The Wild Bunch - with the rest a fairly transparent double entendre - it was the '70s, after all).

The first attachment, which I just posted on another thread, shows the first seven of us at the '73 Nationals in Tahlequah. (From the top: Tony "Ferret" Patterson, Hooper, Phil "Foul" Smith, Don "Fog" Fournier, Dennis Glaves, Steve Noonan, and Ron Brissey. The three behind Tony were "T-Bow" Smith, Billy "Yossarian" Revis, and Jeff "Ferndock" Searles.) The second attachment shows an original Z'hills 10-man patch and one designed by Tony.
Hoop

After watching "Cutaway" I''m not so sure i want to do 10 way speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? That fine skydiving documentary?
How else are people going to learn?

yeah look what happened to Dennis Rodman....or was that John Sikorsky in blackface?

Who did the sub 20 Bill? Last month we did one in around what I remember as sub 25. Maybe just a little quicker? That's still No Show, No Grip exit. Built it straight in. Not with dive floaters, base base pin, or from the middle out.

It was Mike, Patty, Phil, Donna, Ski, Arlo, me...oh shoot, I can't remember who else. Help me out guys, age is starting to catch up with me!!

Leslieann ;)