1 1
Westerly

Time to hit the fast foward button

1 minute ago, Westerly said:

Same as how cities are actually doing it: providing the card is required to shop at any business. Just like showing an ID for a credit card purchase, no CDC card no purchase. Yea it can be faked. Most people wont go to that length though. Not everyone who is unvaccinated is a hardcore anti vaxxer. Some just dont care enough either way, but if pressured they would get it. Three people I work with dont have the vaccination and when I asked them about it they just dont think it's important and they are not worried about Covid. That's why they dont have it, not because they are strictly against vaccinations. 

Why should we have a Federal power grab when your private (I assume) employer in the health care space won't make their own mandate? 

Health insurance companies should lean on employers, and employers should lean on employees.

Mandate for your employees or your group insurance rates quadruple. Get the vaccine or your stupid ass gets fired. 

100% pro-vaccination but we have given enough power to the Federal government recently, and it isn't very effective at using the powers it already has.

Hi folks,

Here is one way to get them vax'd:  Fans must show a CDC vaccination card, a photocopy of the card or a photo of the card on a mobile device.

Portland Timbers and Thorns will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for entry at Providence Park - oregonlive.com

Since futball is the most watched sport in the world, if all teams were to do this, things would change rather quickly.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

We are at 72% for at least one dose, but that really isn't the right metric. Fully vaccinated (2 weeks after second dose) is the correct metric to be looking at. 63.7% of the Canadian population is fully vaccinated. (73.2% Canadians 12+)

Stats are so subject to interpretation. Vaccinated one dose or two? Total population or over 12 yo population? I believe your figures are out of date. Here is a link to the latest federal government update dated Friday the 13th. It only updates on Fridays. 

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-coverage/

It shows greater than 81% of the 12 and over crowd with one dose and 70 % of that group fully vaccinated. There is not much point in my mind to looking at the under 12 crowd. Their rate is zero for the time being, although now Manitoba is vaccinating 11 year olds who will turn 12 this year. I have no idea where that authority came from.

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I believe your figures are out of date.

They are actually more up to date. Your figures are from August 7th.

This website manually updates as soon as government announcements come out and are much more current (near real time):

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

I just mentioned that one dose stats aren't that interesting, since it provides limited protection against the dominant Delta variant.

Percentage total population fully vaccinated is most interesting from a "herd immunity" standpoint. The percentage of those fully vaccinated within the eligible (12 years old and over) group is interesting, since that is the only group increased vaccine uptick can come from.

Overall Canada is performing well, but still lots to do.

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Overall Canada is performing well, but still lots to do.

I don't think we can move the needle much further without some strong push toward a mandate. There is already enormous social pressure that is not working on most of the holdouts. A lot of them would just get it done if they needed to in order to keep their jobs. 

39 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Fully vaccinated plus a booster.

Receiving monoclonal antibody treatment, despite no symptoms.

Must be nice to be rich and powerful.

Both booster and mAb are approved for those at high risk of severe Covid.
Not sure if Abbott is in that group.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Fully vaccinated plus a booster.

Receiving monoclonal antibody treatment, despite no symptoms.

Must be nice to be rich and powerful.

Both booster and mAb are approved for those at high risk of severe Covid.
Not sure if Abbott is in that group.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Tô be honest, he probably is at somewhat elevated risk as a paraplegic. Pity it also paralyzed his humanity and insight. 
Wendy P. 

Damn, I'd totally forgotten about that.

And when I looked up his Wikipedia bio just now, it also mentions his wife is the granddaughter of Mexican immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Abbott#Personal_life

5 hours ago, DougH said:

Why should we have a Federal power grab when your private (I assume) employer in the health care space won't make their own mandate? 

Health insurance companies should lean on employers, and employers should lean on employees.

Mandate for your employees or your group insurance rates quadruple. Get the vaccine or your stupid ass gets fired. 

100% pro-vaccination but we have given enough power to the Federal government recently, and it isn't very effective at using the powers it already has.

My employer did. However, of course anyone can claim a 'religious exemption' and it's on the employer to prove otherwise. So that's a common workaround. Yes, all of those things you said should happen. None of them are going to happen. What should happen and what will happen are rarely one in the same. It's much easier for one person (president) to do it than try to convince 500,000 separate organizations to do it. As time goes on I am sure more and more employers will require it, but the people who die between now and then will still be dead in the future so it will be a bit too late. This is about taking actions now--today. Not in the future when the lives lost will be gone and unrecoverable. 

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Damn, I'd totally forgotten about that.

And when I looked up his Wikipedia bio just now, it also mentions his wife is the granddaughter of Mexican immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Abbott#Personal_life

Hi Robert,

If they would have had a wall, nothing like this would have happened to him.

Jerry Baumchen

All of this requiring vaccines for employment, getting into ball parks/stores, higher insurance, etc. won't work. There are way too many venues for each one to determine if you are vaccinated. People won't like it and it will slow things down to a crawl. Plus people are going to try to use every excuse to defeat them. There is really only one location where we should have to provide proof of vaccination. That is at the ER or any health center. No vaccine (or proof that you cannot take the vaccine for whatever reason), you don't get treated. Period.

If you think you have the constitutional right not to be forced to take the vaccine, if you think you have the religious right not to take the vaccine, if you are just too damn lazy to take the vaccine, you also have the right to deal with the consequences of that decision. Pretty soon the problem will take care of itself.

I know I sometimes make snarky remarks on this forum just for fun. But I'm dead serious about this. We need to stop babying or pandering to the stupid. Life isn't fair. If you want to take chances with your health, fine. But realize that sometimes those decisions have outcomes that do not result in a long lifespan.

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

All of this requiring vaccines for employment, getting into ball parks/stores, higher insurance, etc. won't work.

It will increase the overall pressure on the lazy and on some of the reluctant. We can't really force people to get vaccinated, but we can make it so they know their life will become easier if they do. Yes, fraud might happen. But again, it will just be easier to comply and most people will do so.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It will increase the overall pressure on the lazy and on some of the reluctant. We can't really force people to get vaccinated, but we can make it so they know their life will become easier if they do. Yes, fraud might happen. But again, it will just be easier to comply and most people will do so.

Agree. Make life as difficult as possible. Think of a salmon swimming upstream.

25 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Agree. Make life as difficult as possible. Think of a salmon swimming upstream.

I'm with Cygnus-X1 on this.  Making life difficult will just cause resentment for the terminally stupid.

If they really believe it's all a hoax, or no worse than a bout of flu, or that they have a strong constitution so they won't get sick**, then they should have no objection to paying the full freight for treatment because they **know** they won't actually need said treatment.

** I have an acquaintance, devout Trumpist, who steadfastly denied that COVID was a problem.  Two weeks ago he and his whole extended family went down with it after attending an event in Michigan.  His Mom is now hospitalized.