2 2
brenthutch

Face mask life hack

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is unwise to complain about it here though. 

The very core of many other cultures - is their religion. Let me put it to you this way, If RonD were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock him the way he's been mocked for being Christian?  

33 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

But they would if they could. Okay, not the merely nominal ones. But the leaders would and the followers who are presently harmless would just fall in line.

Some would; most would not (in my experience.)  Again, like most religions.

13 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

The very core of many other cultures - is their religion. Let me put it to you this way, If RonD were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock him the way he's been mocked for being Christian?  

So, can you not see that YOU were not mocked. RON was not mocked. The Christ Easter myth was mocked.

8 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Well, believe it or not, I do not sit in front of the computer on DZ all day and do not type on the phone. But, Bill covered it. 

so, you think that by our "great" nation putting "in god we trust" on money in no way puts christianity in a position of dominance over islam (or any religion that does not worship god), thus violating the 1st amendment?  nice to know that you can pick and choose which part of the constitution you feel we have to follow.  and neither do i on days i have field work, which is why i missed most of the bullshit antics trying to reverse the meaning of the 1st amendment.

(edited)
1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

so, you think that by our "great" nation putting "in god we trust" on money in no way puts christianity in a position of dominance over islam (or any religion that does not worship god), thus violating the 1st amendment?  nice to know that you can pick and choose which part of the constitution you feel we have to follow.  and neither do i on days i have field work, which is why i missed most of the bullshit antics trying to reverse the meaning of the 1st amendment.

There is no God but God. Inshalla.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
9 hours ago, BIGUN said:

If RonD were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock him the way he's been mocked for being Christian?  

BTW, are you talking about the same Ron who refers to non believers and those who believe but don't hold the same political views as him as Luciferians? 

Edited by gowlerk

10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Ron's not mocked for being Christian.

He gets shit for his hypocrisy and for the ridiculousness of his more radical beliefs.

I wasn't aware that "SHTF" and 'prepping' was a Christian tenet. 

Anyone who claims that the Bible is factually accurate is going to get crap. Same goes for the Koran, Talmud or any other 'sacred texts'.

Anyone who thinks mocking a religion or the fictional prophets or messiahs should be punishable by death is an idiot.

3 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

so, you think that by our "great" nation putting "in god we trust" on money in no way puts christianity in a position of dominance over islam (or any religion that does not worship god), thus violating the 1st amendment?  nice to know that you can pick and choose which part of the constitution you feel we have to follow. 

We were no where near that premise. /

(edited)
20 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:
10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Ron's not mocked for being Christian.

You still haven't answered the question.  And, let's take Ron out of the equation - If ANYONE on here were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock them the way OTHER's are mocked for being Christian?  

You know, the bottom line I'm getting to here is respect for other cultures. Not the person, but the culture. Inflammatory words about a culture cause problems. There's a reason you'll never have nor ever hear me say the N word. Because to say that - even to someone I hate - is to dishonor a whole culture. 

Edited by BIGUN

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

We were no where near that premise. 

That's debatable.

The 'In God We Trust' has been challenged.
As has the 'So help me god' when taking an oath. 

The money didn't change. The option to substitute 'under penalty of law' for taking an oath has been upheld.

The placement of 'Ten Commandment' monuments at public buildings (courthouses mostly) has also been challenged. 
It's been upheld a lot based on the idea that most modern law has origins with the Bible and the commandments.
Funny that very few of the monuments were proposed, paid for or placed by historians. 
Usually 'devout' religious types.

Just now, BIGUN said:

You still haven't answered the question.  And, let's take Ron out of the equation - If ANYONE on here were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock them the way OTHERs are mocked for being Christian?  

You know, the bottom line I'm getting to here is respect for other cultures. Not the person, but the culture. Inflammatory words about a culture cause problems. There's a reason you'll never have nor ever hear me say the N word. Because to say that - even to someone I hate - is to dishonor a whole culture. 

Well, the answer to that question is 'it depends'.

Is the Muslim being mocked for his faith? For daily prayers? For a once in a lifetime pilgrimage? Then 'no'. 
I would defend that person's right to their faith. Even though I think that faith is simply a fantasy.

Is he (she) being mocked for claiming Islam the 'one true faith'? For calling for 'death to the infidels'? For demanding that all women cover themselves? 

Then I'd probably be at the front of the line.

Same goes for Jews, Hindus,  Buddhists, Shinto, Rastafarians, Santa Rians or anyone else.

(edited)
31 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Not the person, but the culture.

You keep calling religions "culture". They are not the same thing. Why do you do that? Some of us occasionally make fun of ridiculous theological beliefs. That is not the same as insulting your culture which is your way of life. I am more than willing to make fun of cultures which insist that women be covered from view at all times. But no one here would object, so where is the fun in that?

Edit, I Ron's case I sometimes do ridicule his culture. And I make no apologies for that. He has made a choice to withdraw from the larger society and make a redoubt in the hills awaiting the 2nd coming and embracing the 2nd amendment. 

Edited by gowlerk

22 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

You still haven't answered the question.  And, let's take Ron out of the equation - If ANYONE on here were Muslim, would you let someone else on here mock them the way OTHER's are mocked for being Christian?  

Your point is intact and, for myself, the answer is no. My issue with Christianity in the USA is that it is on a mission to insert itself to the point of domination in every facet of our lives and it does so unapologetically. As an American atheist I am very much opposed to that as it is actively happening to me on my home turf. There is zero live and let live involved where religion is concerned. Now, if I were living in a country dominated by Islam and was opposed to it I just might take a swipe at those assholes there instead of the American assholes here who don't really affect my daily life. And that is why I have a box of demerits for blasting Ron and not a single one for opposing adherents of hot yoga.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

so, you think that by our "great" nation putting "in god we trust" on money in no way puts christianity in a position of dominance over islam (or any religion that does not worship god), thus violating the 1st amendment?

Islam has a god, too.  Think "Allah."

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Your point is intact and, for myself, the answer is no. My issue with Christianity in the USA is that it is on a mission to insert itself to the point of domination in every facet of our lives and it does so unapologetically. As an American atheist I am very much opposed to that as it is actively happening to me on my home turf. There is zero live and let live involved where religion is concerned. Now, if I were living in a country dominated by Islam and was opposed to it I just might take a swipe at those assholes there instead of the American assholes here who don't really affect my daily life. And that is why I have a box of demerits for blasting Ron and not a single one for opposing adherents of hot yoga.

Hi Joe,

Re:  There is zero live and let live involved where religion is concerned.

This is the main thing that I despise about any religion.  As like you, I am an atheist.  However, I never ask anyone else to believe as I do.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Bingo.

I tend to mock and belittle Christians more than any other religion because they are the most prevalent in my life. 

I don't have a problem with them exercising their faith.

DO have a problem when they insist on me following it.

That can include businesses being closed on their 'sacred days' (minor inconvenience).
Or it can include my taxes paying for monuments and displays (again, fairly minor).

It can also include insisting that their faith be taught in schools as 'science' (major issue)
Or taking away rights from people because 'the bible says so' (also a major issue).
Or pretending that discrimination is ok because of that faith (subtle difference, but important).

Also, hot yoga is rather silly.

But not quite as silly as cat yoga.

News story from a couple years ago:
https://fox11online.com/good-day-wi/yoga-with-kitties-event-benefits-safe-haven-pet-sanctuary

Current class schedule:
https://www.safehavenpet.org/event/yoga-with-kitties-17/

57 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Re:  There is zero live and let live involved where religion is concerned.

This is the main thing that I despise about any religion.  As like you, I am an atheist.  However, I never ask anyone else to believe as I do.

Jerry Baumchen

Thats not necessarily true. There are some smaller christian churches that are in the US next to the Mexican border. They welcome potential immigrants and provide shelter and food. They abide by all US laws. They disperse clothes and advise about finding free immigration lawyers. As an example they are true Christians. Not because they are specifically helping immigrants. But because they are helping the poor, the disadvantaged, who are in need.

I have quoted many times how evangelical Christians have become politically active. How they use tax free status to organize politically. How they endorsed the pro-trump activism, pro GOP, ideas that are contrary to the teachings of the bible and Christ. IMO all of those groups are anti-Christ.

59 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

But not quite as silly as cat yoga.

News story from a couple years ago:
https://fox11online.com/good-day-wi/yoga-with-kitties-event-benefits-safe-haven-pet-sanctuary

My wife and her daughters enjoy goat yoga occasionally. Just spread your mat out in the yard over the dirt and whatever.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You keep calling religions "culture". They are not the same thing. Why do you do that? 

You are mistaken and because they are culture. It's been my experience that most truck drivers will dig in their heels when faced with information that is different than what they were led to believe. I would encourage you to do some reading on just how much religions are culture. Some authors to consider:

The Interpretation of Cultures 3rd Edition, Clifford Geertz

Culture's Consequences, Geert Hofstede

And you may wish to consider some independent reading on the process of religious symbols and their role in the creation of culture.  

44 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

You are mistaken and because they are culture. It's been my experience that most truck drivers will dig in their heels when faced with information that is different than what they were led to believe. I would encourage you to do some reading on just how much religions are culture. Some authors to consider:

The Interpretation of Cultures 3rd Edition, Clifford Geertz

Culture's Consequences, Geert Hofstede

And you may wish to consider some independent reading on the process of religious symbols and their role in the creation of culture.  

Religions are a part of a groups culture. Back to the original subject and your original question. As I remember sfzombie posted a meme making fun of the Jesus resurrection myth. You replied with "what about respect?". He, I, and several people here respect you and respect many Christians without respecting the fantastical myth in question. Yes, we make fun of your theocratical beliefs. That may be a part of your culture, but only a part. Do you respect the Rasta belief in worship by smoking pot? Would you ever laugh and make fun of it? It is after all also quite ridiculous.

(edited)

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Religions are a part of a groups culture.

So, I guess you're not going to read up on it. While I understand your attempts to create boundaries between religion and culture and the material aspects of culture; culture and religion on not independent of each other. The root of "culture" is "Colere." Latin for "to worship." Meaning to cultivate, to grow.

Back to the original subject and your original question. As I remember sfzombie posted a meme making fun of the Jesus resurrection myth. You replied with "what about respect?".

True

He, I, and several people here respect you and respect many Christians without respecting the fantastical myth in question. Yes, we make fun of your theocratical beliefs.

Why make fun (mock)? I've never made fun of those who don't believe - that is their right and who am I to judge. I pretty much don't judge anyone's faith or lack thereof. In the end, it's pretty much all the same belief system.

Do you respect the Rasta belief in worship by smoking pot? Would you ever laugh and make fun of it? It is after all also quite ridiculous.

Why would I make fun of my fellow Christians? Do you realize they take the bible so seriously that they can point at specific passages regarding "herb." And, that weed makes them feel closer to God.

Edited by BIGUN