5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

15 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Yes. I'm willing to explore it. 

Interesting; the accuser in that case (Tara Reade) seems to have considerably less credibility overall than the accuser of Brett Kavanaugh. As in, no, she didn't tell anyone else; the complaint she filed with the Senate office didn't mention anything about assault; she said he made her feel uncomfortable because he complimented her looks, and made her serve drinks to Senators.

To go along with the fact that she has a pretty solid reputation for lying, both in public and under oath, it seems a little shakier than either Trump or Kavanaugh in the sexual assault category.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I'm glad to maintain my sense of open-mindedness to receive and consider good ideas from both sides of the aisle. 

And that's mostly always a good thing. An exception would be when the nation is on the verge of an autocracy by electing a demented, narcissistic, madman who is being enabled by a corrupt political party that, at best, represents a minority of Americans. In that situation it's important to see the other side of the aisle for what they have become: blindered and brainwashed enemies of the nation, not a font of good ideas. Later, after we beat the bastards back down into their holes, we can reengage in polite and meaningful dialogue. 

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

in that case (Tara Reade) seems to have considerably less credibility

And, she exiled to Russia and asked Putin to expedite her citizenship after receiving death threats, Uh huh. 

21 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Interesting; the accuser in that case (Tara Reade) seems to have considerably less credibility overall than the accuser of Brett Kavanaugh. As in, no, she didn't tell anyone else; the complaint she filed with the Senate office didn't mention anything about assault; she said he made her feel uncomfortable because he complimented her looks, and made her serve drinks to Senators.

To go along with the fact that she has a pretty solid reputation for lying, both in public and under oath, it seems a little shakier than either Trump or Kavanaugh in the sexual assault category.

Wendy P.

There's also a LOT of issues with her accusations.

Her story changed a whole bunch, a bunch of times.

She couldn't pin down a time & date (in part because that would allow Biden to show where he was on that time & date).

On 4/5/2024 at 5:53 AM, BIGUN said:

Yes. I'm willing to explore it. 

I'd suggest that there is a downside in being open to everything.

Sure, the Earth might be flat, and indeed there are half a dozen Facebook groups that regularly post proof that it is.  But your time might be better served by not spending a lot of time exploring that.

Similarly, John F. Kennedy might be a worse criminal than Timothy McVeigh, and again there are plenty of groups that would claim something like that.  But it would be wise to not spend a lot of time exploring that, as well.

12 hours ago, billvon said:

I'd suggest that there is a downside in being open to everything.

No argument - especially on the two examples provided. However, when it comes to the nation's leadership; I'm going to do some research and come to my own conclusions. 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

No argument - especially on the two examples provided. However, when it comes to the nation's leadership; I'm going to do some research and come to my own conclusions. 

As long as in the end you agree with me, I'm cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

One of the examples was of the nation's leadership.

Easy to say in retrospect.  Today no one in their right mind would say Nixon was a better president than JFK - but back then there were a LOT of people saying just that.  "Well, I'm open to the idea that JFK was a Papist plant and was working with the mob to destroy America.  I've done my own research, see."

There are, however, historians who try to take such retrospective looks at history up to and including the current day.  And those have looked at the various presidents and ranked them.  And of the five such rankings that have ranked the 45 presidents up to Trump, Trump's rankings have been 45th, 43rd, 41st, 42nd and 44th respectively.   Of the two that have included all 46 up to Biden, his rankings have been 14th and 19th respectively.  These tend to not mirror popular polls since they are looking at more objective issues like respect for the Constitution, support of our checks-and-balances system and overall improvement in the state of the union.

And it should be noted that even the republican scholars polled consistently put Trump in the bottom five.

That's how we will remember Trump vs Biden in 20 years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

republican scholars

There's their problem -- nobody trusts them. MAGAs think they're RINO's, and only some liberals will listen to them, and some of them only for support, never for disagreement.

Yes, that's a gross generalization

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

And it should be noted that even the republican scholars polled consistently put Trump in the bottom five.

Yeah, but they are merely MINO's. :)

I'm going to share the following link. I find it interesting that it encompasses poll type/politician/institution in the dropdowns and then reports who did the research and who funded the research. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/

As to your points on JFK vs. Nixon, etc. We all learn by looking back "retrospectively." Unfortunately, that doesn't help in the decision making for future leadership. I've voted for Democrats - admittedly on a local level primarily because they were more fiscally conservative than their republican opponents professed.

Anyway, I don't think either team has a good choice and am faced with not voting for a P at all.

This thread has been going for three years now. What is puzzling is the fact, that apart from his enablers getting verdicts and having to face some serious consequences, the main goon has still managed to escape all efforts to dish out a vital conviction that Puts him into the place any  normal joe blow would have  been in no time

• Like 4

4 hours ago, feuergnom said:

This thread has been going for three years now. What is puzzling is the fact, that apart from his enablers getting verdicts and having to face some serious consequences, the main goon has still managed to escape all efforts to dish out a vital conviction that Puts him into the place any  normal joe blow would have  been in no time

It sure makes equal justice under the law look like an empty slogan.

7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

As to your points on JFK vs. Nixon, etc. We all learn by looking back "retrospectively." Unfortunately, that doesn't help in the decision making for future leadership.

You mean like looking back to  . .  the past when they were both president?  There might be something to learn there in terms of how they will perform in the future as president.  Some things you might objectively learn from such history:

Trump has had 13 close associates - 11 within his administration - convicted of crimes ranging from fraud to contempt of Congress to conspiring against the United States with a Russian agent.

Biden has had no close associates within his administration convicted of anything.

Trump was impeached twice.

Biden has never been impeached, despite the GOP leadership announcing that finding something to impeach him for was a top priority.

Trump has been indicted for 91 felonies, including for his actions in office.

Biden has never been indicted for any felonies.

A court found that Trump raped a woman.  Two courts found that he lied when he said he did not rape her.

No court has found that Biden raped anyone.

Trump flew on the Lolita Express 7 times and has expressed support for Ghislaine Maxwell even after her arrest for child sex trafficking.

Biden never has.

Trump has said that the US Constitution should be "terminated" and that he would be dictator for a day.

Biden supports the Constitution and has not said he will be a dictator.

Trump has ridiculed US veterans, calling them "suckers" and "losers" and wondering aloud why anyone would serve in the military.

Biden supports veterans in words as well as actions, and had a son who served in the military for 12 years, including Kosovo.

Both are old and declining.  Both are easily confused and say stupid things.

Now, if you read all that and conclude "well, so they are pretty similar" then you're not learning anything by looking back retrospectively.  You could as easily say that JFK and McVeigh were pretty much the same because they were both white men who were in the military, and are now both dead.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, feuergnom said:

Well he did say "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, okay, and I wouldn't lose any voters, okay?" Trump said to the laughter of the audience at a rally at Sioux Center in Iowa. "It's, like, incredible."

He spent allot buying the USSC. At a weekend past fundraiser that took in $50 million in donations from billionaires. He promised them more tax cuts than what they already enjoy. Even though his Truth Social stock is down $2 billion it's still worth $3 billion to him.

Why is his rank above the law so puzzling? The January 6 convicted patriots are going to get pardons on January 20, 2025. No word yet if they will immediately get SEAL team seven appointments in the Trump Brownshirt battalion.