5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

On 2/28/2024 at 11:39 PM, billvon said:

Something tells me that the "states rights" conservatives are suddenly going to decide that the federal government should decide what states can and can't do.

This aged very well. The SC has effectively ruled that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment will never be used except as a weapon by an opposing majority in Congress. What a banana republic.

22 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Further, any wishful thinking that the Supreme Court is going to save the nation from the clear and present danger that is Trump needs to be cast aside. Only re-electing Biden can do that now. 

I’ll be honest, and say that it’s not their job to save us from an individual. I hate that, because I think this individual is almost uniquely damaging in his potential. But it’s their job to interpret the laws that are written. If they consider personalities, then they can consider other personalities.

The fact that Thomas almost certainly is considering personalities is bad; I’m not as sure about the others. But I’m more worried about considering power structures (in the US right now, that’s the parties and various lobbying groups). I think that’s a slipperier slope to go whizzing down, and one many of them have already started on.

Wendy P.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I’ll be honest, and say that it’s not their job to save us from an individual. I hate that, because I think this individual is almost uniquely damaging in his potential.

It is the job of the US electorate. Save yourselves. The R party should have done the job, but it failed due to its inherent greed and hunger for power. Like Smokey Bear always says, only you can prevent wildfires. God bless America.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I’ll be honest, and say that it’s not their job to save us from an individual.

Agreed. But it is also not their job to save an individual from us. The Liberal Trio in their dissent laden concurrence argued that the Court was out of their lane and making rulings that would define later cases. They argued their task was only to answer if a state could make a section 3 determination, not to go further and state that only congress could. The SC could have ruled on the absolute immunity question when Smith requested in December, I think. They wanted the Appeals Court below to answer first. Then they slow walked their decision (on whether a President could order murder with immunity, mind you) and decided the question needed to be decided months from now. They took 3 days for Bush v. Gore. They are partisan hacks with their thumbs heavily on the scale, in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Their job is just like any other job: use position to gain power and wealth. It is the American Way.

LIfetime $300K a year jobs that are designed to shield them from the vagaries of the day and allow them the freedom to do the right thing based on the law alone. All praise our vaunted constitution and our brilliant founding banana farmers. 

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

LIfetime $300K a year jobs that are designed to shield them from the vagaries of the day and allow them the freedom to do the right thing based on the law alone.

Clearly $300K a year is not enough for Thomas.  How can anyone afford any superyachts at all on that paltry salary?

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

LIfetime $300K a year jobs that are designed to shield them from the vagaries of the day and allow them the freedom to do the right thing based on the law alone. All praise our vaunted constitution and our brilliant founding banana farmers. 

$300k is pauper money these days. Problem when you have created what is effectively a plutocracy where success is only measured by "net worth."

18 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Further, any wishful thinking that the Supreme Court is going to save the nation from the clear and present danger that is Trump needs to be cast aside. Only re-electing Biden can do that now. 

People get the government they deserve.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:06 AM, kallend said:

People get the government they deserve.

To be more precise: everybody gets the government made possible by all the people who decide not to vote 

And half (or more) of the voting populace voting for right wing ideologies. At least that has been the trend for the last 10 to 15 years worldwide... 

7 minutes ago, feuergnom said:

And half (or more) of the voting populace voting for right wing ideologies. At least that has been the trend for the last 10 to 15 years worldwide... 

The percentage voting for right wing ideologies is high and getting higher, but at least in the US it's still far south of half.  Democrats have won the popular vote in the US for the last several elections....the electoral college is a great thing!

1 hour ago, feuergnom said:

To be more precise: everybody gets the government made possible by all the people who decide not to vote 

You can vote all you like, but if the only choices are a giant douche or a turd sandwich (apologies to South Park), it doesn’t do much good.

Since the average IQ is ~100 on a good day, half of qualified voters are hard of thinking.  Yes, I know both the right and left are pointing across the aisle saying “See? You people are idiots!” - and they’re both right.

I wish the campaign slogan “We suck less!” was more of a joke than wishful thinking.

29 minutes ago, winsor said:

You can vote all you like, but if the only choices are a giant douche or a turd sandwich (apologies to South Park), it doesn’t do much good.

Since the average IQ is ~100 on a good day, half of qualified voters are hard of thinking.  Yes, I know both the right and left are pointing across the aisle saying “See? You people are idiots!” - and they’re both right.

I wish the campaign slogan “We suck less!” was more of a joke than wishful thinking.

I'm glad you feel that way. based on your posts here you are among the people I hope won't be voting anymore.

58 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm glad you feel that way. based on your posts here you are among the people I hope won't be voting anymore.

They wouldn't let me vote in Canada.  Discrimination at its worst.

5 hours ago, lippy said:

The percentage voting for right wing ideologies is high and getting higher, but at least in the US it's still far south of half.  Democrats have won the popular vote in the US for the last several elections....the electoral college is a great thing!

long live the wisdom of the fathers of the constitution... /s/
and there is no way to get rid of that one

1 hour ago, feuergnom said:

long live the wisdom of the fathers of the constitution... /s/
and there is no way to get rid of that one

They did what they had to do to get an agreement. Each of those colonies had to choose between independance, staying a colony or becoming part of a larger nation. Politics then and now is the art of compromise and the posible.

• Like 1