8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

https://nypost.com/2021/01/22/bidens-trans-order-undoes-decades-of-feminist-progress/

Institutions that receive Title IX funding must allow biological males who identify as female to compete in women’s athletics. “Children should be able to learn without worrying about whether they will be denied access to . . . school sports,” the order states.

I'm sorry...this is ridiculous.  I'd prefer a separate classification that was for trans only in sports.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/22/bidens-trans-order-undoes-decades-of-feminist-progress/

Institutions that receive Title IX funding must allow biological males who identify as female to compete in women’s athletics. “Children should be able to learn without worrying about whether they will be denied access to . . . school sports,” the order states.

I'm sorry...this is ridiculous.  I'd prefer a separate classification that was for trans only in sports.

The teams i know of that are impacted require the women to have had testosterone suppression for at least a year. That doesn’t undo the precious muscle bulk, but as a rule, that muscle bulk has been depleted by the recovery from surgery. 
Not a perfectly level playing field, and some objections are understandable from an athletic point of view. However, I don’t see that this undoes title 9. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, billvon said:

Tesla uses a heat pump, not a resistive heater.

For background, another guy (Bjorn Nyland, who does a lot of Tesla testing) compared the older resistive heater to the new heat pump.  The resistive heater took 2,170 watts to maintain the temperature (72F, 35F outside.) The heat pump took 735.

i did look it up after i posted that and found that the heat pump doesn't work when stopped, so you'd need to use the figures for the resistive heater.  pretty sure it would be enough to cover keeping warm in an emergency, up to at least half a day though from the numbers you posted.  more incentive to keep the car stocked with emergency candles and blankets anyway.  

2 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i did look it up after i posted that and found that the heat pump doesn't work when stopped, so you'd need to use the figures for the resistive heater.  pretty sure it would be enough to cover keeping warm in an emergency, up to at least half a day though from the numbers you posted.  more incentive to keep the car stocked with emergency candles and blankets anyway.  

Yes this. A heat pump does not create energy it moves it. Unless you dig a hole where you are stuck and use geo-thermal, a heat pump is not going to keep you warm. It is -30 C here this morning. Your model Y is not going to be able to extract much heat from it's surroundings.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes this. A heat pump does not create energy it moves it. Unless you dig a hole where you are stuck and use geo-thermal, a heat pump is not going to keep you warm. It is -30 C here this morning. Your model Y is not going to be able to extract much heat from it's surroundings.

actually, this isn't how it works.  look up the octavalve, it is pretty neat.  i learned way more than intended about tesla heat, but was bored.  on second thought, maybe it does work that way, but i can't remember.  it did make heat in sub zero temps to preheat the batteries before charging.

Edited by sfzombie13

12 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

actually, this isn't how it works.  look up the octavalve, it is pretty neat.  i learned way more than intended about tesla heat, but was bored.  on second thought, maybe it does work that way, but i can't remember.  it did make heat in sub zero temps to preheat the batteries before charging.

I did look it up. It doesn't work below -4 F and even then it would struggle.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I did look it up. It doesn't work below -4 F and even then it would struggle.

Not surprising, since when I was looking for info I found that other EV's with heat pumps also switched to resistive heat at low temps.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Not surprising, since when I was looking for info I found that other EV's with heat pumps also switched to resistive heat at low temps.

I think we should try to find a way to talk about criticizing Biden in this thread sometime soon. I just looked at the thread title and asked myself "How did we get here"?

33 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i did look it up after i posted that and found that the heat pump doesn't work when stopped

In an internal combustion car, the engine has to be running to run the heat pump.  (Like the air conditioner.)

In an EV the heat pump is run off the battery.  As a "heat source" (i.e. the place it pumps heat from) it uses a combination of the motor (if the car is moving) the battery (if it's not) or the outside air.  So it's pretty flexible in where it gets the heat from.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

In an internal combustion car, the engine has to be running to run the heat pump.  (Like the air conditioner.)

In an EV the heat pump is run off the battery.  As a "heat source" (i.e. the place it pumps heat from) it uses a combination of the motor (if the car is moving) the battery (if it's not) or the outside air.  So it's pretty flexible in where it gets the heat from.

Yes, it would need some form of resistive electrical heating to cover all situations. I'm guessing the battery system is powerful enough to keep someone alive in the cabin for a long time. Just not by recovering heat from the environment. 

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I think we should try to find a way to talk about criticizing Biden in this thread sometime soon. I just looked at the thread title and asked myself "How did we get here"?

If Trump was President this would not be an issue. He would have appointed Brent to the DOE and in 12 months no one on the planet would need any kind of heater and Ken would be a zillionaire from selling Canadian Lakefront property.

4 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i would like to see how you figured that out.  heat uses the most electricity of anything that i know of.  even a tesla is made out of metal with windows, so unless you have a very different definition of warm that myself, which is about 45-50* f, or the vehicle is covered in snow and insulated, i would like to see some sort of calculation or source for that statement.  not that i don't believe you, but internet and all...

As compared to moving a tonne at 120kph? Yeah the heater uses less.

On 2/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, rifleman said:

EU driver's hours regulations permit a maximum of 9 hours per day (allowed to extend to 10 hours twice a week), a maximum of 56 hours in any one 7 day period or 90 hours in any period of 14 consecutive days. In any 4 1/2 hour period, a driver must take a 45 minute break (minimum 3 x 15 minute breaks through the 4 1/2 hours or 45 minutes after the period has elapsed)

Since most lorries are speed-limited (at least in the UK) to 60mph, 4.5 hours of driving assuming constant speed would be 270 miles.

Tesla Semi has a spec range of 400-500 miles, so until the UK diverges from the EU law on this, unless they don't charge during stops it would actually be illegal to drive long enough to fully drain the battery.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

'Just look at that million dollar view.  You can't get that everywhere.'

Jerry Baumchen

"The brown haze is fog. Of course you can't drink the water, fracking is what pays for all the police and security walls." Talking points from "Republican realtors for America".

17 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

As compared to moving a tonne at 120kph? Yeah the heater uses less.

you did notice the phrase i used, "that i know of", right?  i was referring to houses, since i was a carpenter once and have lived in some sort of one most of my life.  evs are new, so i have no experience with them at all since they're mostly useless to me.  i did develop a concept for one, just need the car to convert.  i had one of those, but gave it to a friend who needed a car.  i think it would still be close, depending on the temps.  damn, i did not need another distraction today, thanx a lot.

19 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I know you're not jealous of the money I make.  Your tone seems more like you don't think I earn it.

Nope. My understanding is that you do commercial real estate. Those deals can have a lot of complexity, existing leases, multiple owners and lenders etc. Those deals require someone to sort things out, often for buyers and sellers that never meet or talk. Add a splash of covid on top and I'm sure you earn every nickel. I will confess, however, that I have no clue how your typical residential real estate agent earns a quarter of a typical home commission.