justaflygirl

jumping in winds...

And as far as me upsizing goes, I am am under a 150 now, and if I go any bigger, I get no penetration at all. I am between 130 and 135 out the door now. I have landed way way off under big canopies before b/c of this.

If you've landed way off under bigger canopies, it's due to poor spotting and/or poor canopy control skills. Don't blame the wingloading.

Also wanted to add that if you are not able to make it back under a big canopy in windier conditions, then maybe that is an indicator that it is too windy for you to jump. My exit weight is about the same as yours. I still clearly remember the student days and sub 100 jump days and jumping a Manta 288 and Raider 220's for many jumps and not getting a lot of penetration and at times, going backwards. Definately not a safe feeling at all.
Sure, I could have downsized sooner, but I didn't feel my canopy skills were good enough yet for a smaller canopy, so instead I would not jump in certain wind conditions. It definately meant I was on the ground more, but downsizing just to be able to jump when it is windier does not seem like the correct answer.

Edited to add: obviously this is just my experience, your experiences may be different then mine have been. But just wanted to bring up this observation.

Wind Speed 7 mph / 11 km/h (South)
Max Wind Speed 17 mph / 27 km/h
Max Gust Speed 23 mph / 37 km/h

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

That does change things considerably. I won't say to justaflygirl "You have no business jumping that day", because I wasn't there and don't know anything about the local conditions, but the recorded winds do paint a different story than what was posted here.

17 gusting to 23 is definately "high winds", and gusts can (and do) break femurs.

Thinking that jumping in those conditions make for better landings, and is somehow "safer" is absurd. Justaflygirl should understand that she's adding a tremendous amount of risk by jumping in those conditions.

Saturday at Chicagoland we had 17 gusting to 28. I was amazed by the number of people who were willing to jump. The DZ decided to "rigidly enforce the load minimums", and the plane never went because there were only 6 jumpers wanting to go, and the load minimum was 8. Strangely (sarcastic), almost all of the 6 jumpers wanting to less than 200 jumps. Eventually some of the "old timers" started telling their stories of carnage caused by high winds and only then did people eventually give up.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

And as far as me upsizing goes, I am am under a 150 now, and if I go any bigger, I get no penetration at all. I am between 130 and 135 out the door now. I have landed way way off under big canopies before b/c of this.

There's absolutely no excuse for landing off under a 150. If you'd said the same thing for a 280, I might have accepted that. Not for a 150, though. If you can't make the landing area under that canopy, that's another indicator that either your spotting needs work, or you're jumping in winds that are just too high.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

about my canopy.... (response to all)

1) I have only been under a huge canopy (over 200) 1 time I am sure of, maybe 2. I even did most of my aff under a spectre 170 b/c of my body size and weight, (none of the student rigs would fit me, no mattter how much they were adjusted).

2) seeing tandem catchers out, doesnt ring a bell to me that the winds might be up cuz where I did aff at in the midwest, it was an everyday normal thing to see. All thru my aff, they were there.

3) I wasnt looking for "you did the right or wrong thing" neccesarily in the post, but more an explanation as to why it is easier to land with more wind. Thanks to those of you who gave me polite constructive criticism about this, you know who you are. Your advice I will take to heart and use in future situations. To the safety nazi's , you want to be listened, find a smoother approach.

Hey justaflygirl, I don’t want to question your decision to jump at those conditions (I was not there). Here is what I do if I have any doubts about the weather: I go to my DZO and ask him is it ok to jump, then I talk with very experienced instructors and if I have a single “no” or “be very careful” from any of them – I stay on the ground. This is my responsibility to ask questions and I don’t expect anyone to pull me off the load :)

What's that saying? Starting with a full bucket of luck and an empty bucket of experience. You need to fill the experience bucket up, before the luck one runs out.

-> It's good to jump the safe side of marginal conditions. Should you find yourself on the dangerous side of marginal conditions (for whatever reason) you'll have the experience to help you. That which does not kill you...

so, now I would like some educated opinions on this...

You are on the wrong internet site perhaps ;)

Sorry darlin, but I was there.
You had no business jumping in those winds[:/]

Let me preface this by saying i am not trying to be a dick by asking this question but why didnt you stop her from going up if you thought she had no business jumping? Yes, she is a big girl who can make her own decisions but perhaps she needed to be told it wasnt safe by someone with more experience[:/]

I flew a Spectre 170 loaded about the same as you on a 150 for 200 jumps. Didn't back up or land way out due to winds ever.

But then again, I put myself on wind hold as soon as the dz put students on wind hold. Why? Because I knew I'd be getting little or no penetration in those winds, and I hate coming straight down/backing up on final. It's no fun hanging up there wishing you were down here.

I also look at the people with lots of experience - if someone with 2000+ jumps is sitting down due to the winds it's a good bet that I'll be sitting down too.

There's always another day to skydive. Why push it?

I was just wondering why, nothing was suggested prior to my jumping

You're a big girl now. Big girls shouldn't need their hands held anymore.

Sometimes its easier to ask someone in person about this. Next time you're out, find me and I'll explain. Some winds make it easier to land, some winds make it more difficult. I have NO wind limit. I have a turbulence limit. My turbulence limit always happens before many others wind limit. A wind speed # doesn't always tell the whole story. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I know you've gotten alot of grief regarding your decision to jump in what other's feel were questionable conditions. The word 'questionable' is the key here. Questionable for who, and where did they come up with their limitations? Right?

Well, where they most likely came up with their limitations was in the wake of an incident or near-incident they personally experienced. At your level, your exposure to differing conditions is fairly low, and your chances of having a 'near-miss' are lower.

I didn't see a problem jumping in high winds unitll I got backed up off the DZ one day. Then I knew what wind keveks were what, and what I didn't want to happen.

I never understood all the hub-bub about turbulence unitll I had a low alt. canopy collapse on a hot, humid summer day, with T-storms rolling around creating a generally unstable atmosphere. After that, I knew what could happen, and didn't want to happen again.

At your level, you need to count on the advise and opinion of others unitl such time that you have sufficient experience to formo your own. Everyone at your level needs this, it's the smart ones who recognize and capitalize on it.

I would suggest that you locate a DZ staff member, possibly an AFF I who you respect, and who respects you (I would suggest a female, they make for smarter AFF I's than males), and confide in them that you would like the benefit of their experience, and would appriciate their two cents whenever they feel you could use it.

I like Tony's comments and agreee with them completely...in fact I somtimes use Tony as one of my deciding factors....and he was landing a LOT farther away from the packing tent than he usually does this past Saturday so I knew the winds were up!
Between watching landings, the anemometor, and then asking instructors (it's surprising sometimes how many of THEM are on the ground wathing US)
only then do I make my decision...and I would never expect someone to walk up and tell me.
I think you have to ask others for advice and just not count on them to volunteer the advice...they don't always know who you are much less your experience level....even if you're a regular
just my 2 pennies...

"firearm"

B|

i must add a little note here . i was on the jump with her and i am one of the biggest wind wimps on the d.z. the winds were below i5 they were between 12 and 14 for the most part at that point in time AND they wern,t gusting as they had been earlier so we went on the jump. myself and the other 2 asked her if she wes comfortable with them and she was and i did not think they were a problem and like i say i am the worlds biggest wind wimp plus the fact that this girl seems to have her shit together as i have seen her handle a wicked spinning mal and do all the right things just a week before so none of us were uncomfortable with it at that time . the jump went great and the winds did pick up a little after we landed later in the afternoon , but from my outlook given all the facts i just did not think it was a unsafe jump at all . but it is also great to see that all are interested in another jumpers safety . but trust me guys if i had not have thought it was safe for her i would not have gone with her . by the way she did great and got her muff number thanx for all the concern its good to see
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

At 87 jumps I got a waiver to jump. 100 jump min. Biffed the first landing. Stupido me went for another. Hit had but walked away. Pilot touched down close at the same time. At the hanger he said he thought I broke a leg or two. STA said " You see all those jumpers over there? They have thousands of jumps and they didn't go up." Next one. 230 jumps. First load 6am. 50 knot uppers. Wanna go play wind dummy? Sure. Femured in. Case closed. Jump another day. B|

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

While the SIM may say that a licensed jumper can jump in any wind speed, just because you can jump doesn't mean you should.

I'll fully admit to the times I've jumped when I probably shouldn't have. Nobody wants to drive God knows how far to the dz only to sit, and if they're turning loads it's all too tempting to get on one.

It's on you to make the decision, but if there are people with thousands of jumps who are sitting, people at our skill level probably should be too.