5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

56 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually - MOST conservatives are of this mindset.

This mindset?    North Dakota 762,000 people. Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined 2.5 million people. In the last seven days N. Dakota had 114 new cases. Sask and Manitoba combined had 68. Only one of the three had a repubiclan in charge.

The geography and demographics are similar for all three.

'There is an active online petition -- signed by 2,800 people -- to try to force Gov. Doug Burgum to issue a stay-at-home order. But Burgum doesn't seem to be reconsidering. "We get to listen to people who think we've locked down too much and people who think we need to lock down more but we would invite those people that signed that petition to really dig into the numbers with us," he said last week. "I mean we moved early and fast on a number of restrictions that is producing this low positive rate today and we moved fast on increasing our testing."

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

Most conservatives are actually more of the Trump-worship mindset.  Violate the Constitution?  Sounds good to us as long as it's our guy!

5 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That is simply not true.

It doesn't matter what you wish to believe.

Why lie?  Isn't that a violation of “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.” the ninth commandment?

57 minutes ago, billvon said:

You may believe it is not true.  But again, believe people's actions over their words.

43 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I do - and I am telling you exactly what I see most conservatives do.

You, however, see what the media wants you to.

Typical trump supporter defense mechanism.

Conservatives have backbones.

Conservatives have rule of law philosophies.

Conservatives have always believed in balanced budgets.

HRC, Obama, global warming, FOX news,fake news, etc. were responsible for the trump presidency.

Post election.

Conservatives have never supported trump.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually - MOST conservatives are of this mindset.

I'd say it's more that conservatives can see where even the wackiest conservative viewpoints can com from, even if they disagree. Just as most liberals can see where even the wackiest liberal viewpoints can come from, even if they disagree. Then it becomes "don't mess with my brother, even if he is an asshole."

Only I am perfect in my judgment ^.^. AND my brothers are nice

Wendy P.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

IMO US fatalities are vastly underrepresented as they are elsewhere. The US is still under testing v other western countries.

Don’t overestimate other western countries either. I believe we are all very weak in this particular domain. Testing capacity should be increased massively worldwide. If I had my word to say, I would like to have everyone tested weekly for a month. 

1 hour ago, piisfish said:

Don’t overestimate other western countries either. I believe we are all very weak in this particular domain. Testing capacity should be increased massively worldwide. If I had my word to say, I would like to have everyone tested weekly for a month. 

Do NOT say that - you will be attacked for lessening Trump's culpability. 

No one is allowed to be reasonable and make fair comparisons until he is dead.

President Trump cites Nebraska as one of the areas that could rebound more quickly from coronavirus   But elections need to be won and every war has casualties.

"The only hospital in Grand Island, Neb., is full. The mayor has asked for a statewide stay-at-home order that the GOP governor insists isn’t needed. More than one-third of those tested for coronavirus in the surrounding county are positive — and there aren’t enough tests to go around.

Grand Island is the fourth-biggest city in a state President Donald Trump and his top health officials repeatedly name check for keeping the virus at bay without the strict lockdowns 42 other states have imposed."

Cue trump's favorite song.

I spoke to my brother yesterday, and he said Barbados is taking the shutdown quite seriously, with a 24 hour curfew.  You are allowed to go out for medical care.  You are allowed to go out to the grocery store only on one morning and one afternoon per week, with those days set by where your name falls in the alphabet.   Someone reportedly was found in violation at 2am, and got 6 months in jail.

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

I spoke to my brother yesterday, and he said Barbados is taking the shutdown quite seriously, with a 24 hour curfew.  You are allowed to go out for medical care.  You are allowed to go out to the grocery store only on one morning and one afternoon per week, with those days set by where your name falls in the alphabet.   Someone reportedly was found in violation at 2am, and got 6 months in jail.

Conversely, back here I was stood near a guy who was very vocally complaining about being asked to leave a supermarket because he wasn’t wearing any protective gear and was handling all the fruit and produce (despite signs everywhere saying that masks are mandatory and to avoid touching anything you’re not buying).

Actual conversation:

’FUCK YOU! It’s OPTIONAL! You can’t stop me shopping here’

’Sir, This is my store and I can. Our rules are clearly posted. Please leave before I call the police.’

The manager got a round of applause.

11 minutes ago, yoink said:

Conversely, back here I was stood near a guy who was very vocally complaining about being asked to leave a supermarket because he wasn’t wearing any protective gear and was handling all the fruit and produce (despite signs everywhere saying that masks are mandatory and to avoid touching anything you’re not buying).

Actual conversation:

’FUCK YOU! It’s OPTIONAL! You can’t stop me shopping here’

’Sir, This is my store and I can. Our rules are clearly posted. Please leave before I call the police.’

The manager got a round of applause.

A good reason why carry permits for produce managers should be introduced.

(edited)
11 hours ago, piisfish said:

What would that achieve?
ETA: what do you want to do with the more accurate numbers.

Testing capacity is not just a matter of having more tests available but also having trained lab technicians available to perform said tests. Technicians who might also be employed working on a vaccine for instance.

Besides, even if a test is initiated immediately upon receival, a test takes time to run. So by the time the results of person X (who may or may not be symptomatic) come back positive they have already walked past many other people who may or may not be infected and who in turn may or may not infect others. You'll never be able to keep up with that, especially with an end time as arbitrary as "one month".

Personally,I like the Dutch system:
Tests (and, I might add, PPE) are reserved for people who actually need them. e.g. health care workers and symptomatic individuals who are at risk due to age or medical conditions.

For everyone else it's simple: Stay at home as much as possible, wash your hands often and long (advice is 20 sec) and keep 1.5m distance if you do leave the house. If you or any of your familiy members show symptoms which might indicate COVID-19 you stay the F- at home, no matter how mild said symptoms are. Whether or not the individual actually has COVID-19 is not relevant as long as the symptoms are mild. If the symptoms worsen, you phone your GP who will assess whether testing is necessary or not, I assume based on your medical dossier and/or whether it looks like that hospitalisation may be necessary in the near future.

The goverment reports the confirmed cases and hospitalisations of confirmed cases along with a warning that the actual number of cases are in fact higher because not everyone is being tested. Total Deaths are best compared to the predicted number of total deaths based on the time of the year (currently ~1.5x as high as normal). All this information is easily accessible for anyone who is interested and is updated daily. Aside from that our PM gives regular press conferences for those who prefer to get their information from such a format.

Edited by Baksteen
Clarification

(edited)

Baksteen, you sound like you live where there aren't as many people who think that "untested" means "not infected." I've seen stuff doubting that most of the NYC COVID deaths in March were just flu, because they weren't tested. 

Unfortunately, those people also have Facebook licenses :mask:, and they talk to each other. I guess my problem is I don't want to be exposed to stupid shit; kind of like how some Evangelicals don't want to be exposed to sins they are scared of.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

(edited)

Well, the system isn't perfect, because, you know... people.

Some celebrities in the beginning of the crisis called out to keep hugging and shaking hands, since they were being so cool and all. That has died down naturally over the weeks.

When the first weekend of nice weather came about, many people went to the beach. This was approximately one week after the government proclaimed preventative measures, chiefly among those social distancing.
The government was furious and instated(?) fines of up to €400,- per person if groups of more than three people (families excepted) were congregating. Police have started to give out warnings. A few individual townships have had to shut down visitor access, especially during the weekend. This, for the most part, seems to work.

Even so, a few "c-word"s insist on holding so-called 'F*ck Corona parties'.

Thankfully, the vast majority of the people who live in the Netherlands do have a brain.

The government's message: "Yes, you yourself might get away with mild, flu-like symptoms. In that case you still observe social distancing. Not for yourself but for others who are more vulnerable".

Edited by Baksteen

5 hours ago, Baksteen said:

What would that achieve?

You have a poor understanding of the health care system and the specialties within it. Blanket testing serves to identify outliers that may be infectious and unknown to the tracking mechanisms.Lab techs who handle tests themselves don't develop vaccines. Thats reserved for the largest labs with dna sequencing and equipment to create new compounds, etc. Usually 1-3 universities or corporations per western country, plus China.

Testing mainly allows the identification and profiling of hidden transmissions in a larger group of people.