1 1
gowlerk

Trump, Iran, and no war

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

There is one thing that I do like about the Trump presidency. He honestly does seem to be strongly resistant to the idea of going to war.

I'd prefer that he actually address the issue of them shooting down a drone rather than rushing to their defense but that's barely a blip in the big picture of how important it is not go escalate a pissing match.

11 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

There is one thing that I do like about the Trump presidency. He honestly does seem to be strongly resistant to the idea of going to war.

He certainly was from 28 July 1964 through  17 February 1972.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:
20 hours ago, kallend said:

He certainly was from 28 July 1964 through  17 February 1972.

Hi John,

Well done, sir; very, well done. 

Jerry Baumchen 

I think gowlerk should get the credit since I'm pretty sure that's what he was implying to begin with.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Now he has apparently decided it's not worth killing 150 people over. Not even Persian people. This is a level of insight not generally shown by US leaders. The generals must be going insane with rage.

This image he painted of being ready to launch, ships and planes on the way and then finding out about 150 possible casualties because of an afterthought of a question that he, in all his kindheartedness, thought to ask is a crock of shit but I agree with not escalating from expensive military hardware to lives. 

12 minutes ago, DJL said:

This image he painted of being ready to launch, ships and planes on the way and then finding out about 150 possible casualties because of an afterthought of a question that he, in all his kindheartedness, thought to ask is a crock of shit but I agree with not escalating from expensive military hardware to lives. 

I would have hoped that was a question considered prior to approval.

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Now he has apparently decided it's not worth killing 150 people over. Not even Persian people. This is a level of insight not generally shown by US leaders. The generals must be going insane with rage.

You don’t know generals very well then.

8 hours ago, DJL said:

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

I would have hoped that was a question considered prior to approval.

Consider stuff? Things like overall "cost" (not just monetary), consequences (both short & long term), end game, all of that.

I can't believe Trump thought ANY of that through. He hasn't shown any tendencies to think anything through.

He sure as hell didn't think through the act of withdrawing from the agreement with Iran. 

He's also a coward. He talks tough when he's not facing anyone, yet caves and runs away when facing any actual strength. 
Look at how he behaved in Putin's presence. Look at how 'tough' he was towards KJU, yet he ran away when he had to actually face him. 

Trump's statement that the shoot down was a 'mistake', that it was someone 'loose and stupid' is simply letting Iran off the hook because he's too afraid to call them out. 

I'm not super thrilled about any escalation of the situation, but Trump is clearly in over his head. I don't think he even realizes it. And, if he holds true to form, he won't allow anyone who actually knows what they are doing to handle it for him.

Jesus - 

Trump could single-handedly cure cancer and you would find something to degrade him with.

Is the hate so strong that even when something happens that should be a good thing, you cant give credit where its due?

That just isn't rational.

On a side note:

At least I can use this as a teachable moment.

Now, I see what my disdain for Hillary looks like to you.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I’ve heard reports that people who attended a briefing with him before hand thought he was truly troubled by the options he was facing.

I sure as hell would be bothered by having to make decision on the recommendation to kill people.

I think he made the right choice for the right reason.

A drone is not worth the lives of 150 people.

A drone is worth sanctions and penalties.

29 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I sure as hell would be bothered by having to make decision on the recommendation to kill people.

That's pretty much what I think.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Jesus - 

Trump could single-handedly cure cancer and you would find something to degrade him with.

And if this was Obama I guarantee you that you (and/or the rest of the conservatives here) would be calling him either a weak, sniveling coward or a Muslim terrorist lover.

9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

But what if it were a manned drone?

“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone”; Stable Genius, 6/20/19

3 hours ago, kallend said:

But what if it were a manned drone?

“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone”; Stable Genius, 6/20/19

"This Iran confrontation must be frustrating for Trump. That drone was unmanned, so there was no widow to insult."

-- Bill Maher

On 6/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, billvon said:

And if this was Obama I guarantee you that you (and/or the rest of the conservatives here) would be calling him either a weak, sniveling coward or a Muslim terrorist lover.

Simply, No.

I give a fare chance - then judge.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, billvon said:

So - Now YOU are using the Obama Did It First defense.

I believe someone said something like, that if you have to resort to that defense , your argument was already lost.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:38 PM, turtlespeed said:

Jesus - 

Is the hate so strong that even when something happens that should be a good thing, you cant give credit where its due?

That just isn't rational.

On a side note:

At least I can use this as a teachable moment.

Now, I see what my disdain for Hillary looks like to you.

I think he got to the right end result. Doesn't mean I have to like the path that was taken.