2 2
brenthutch

Looks like trickle down works after all

(edited)

Obama leveled out at five percent, Trump has it down to 3.5, defying all conventional wisdom of what constitutes full employment.  Not to mention real wage growth, during the Obama administration it was close to zero.  Under Trump? >3%.  In short, more jobs, more money, less taxes.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
58 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Obama leveled out at five percent, Trump has it down to 3.5, defying all conventional wisdom of what constitutes full employment.  Not to mention real wage growth, during the Obama administration it was close to zero.  Under Trump? >3%.  In short, more jobs, more money, less taxes.

You're talking about that one little part in 2016?  That's ignoring most of the graph.  

As for wage growth again, steady through Obama to Trump.  My joke aside, a President has little to do with the economy during their own Presidency.

Image result for wage growth graph us

As for hourly earnings, pretty flat still:

Image result for wage growth graph us

Real wage growth taking inflation into account is pretty bad:

Image result for real wage growth

1% isn't terrible and we are starting to see the effects of a labor shortage with increased pay but there are simply too many people and we're advancing automation more than ever.  

Edited by DJL

On 12/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, brenthutch said:

Your inability to misinterpret data in the most obvious way  never fails to amaze me.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

Your inability to misinterpret data in the most obvious way  never fails to amaze me.

Since you lack a background in economics or business I will be patient with you.  What economists consider "full employment", is around 5%.   It is unremarkable that unemployment dropped from 10% to 5% under Obama, that is just normal business cycle stuff.  What is remarkable is the move from 5% down to 3.5%, with low inflation. It has economists everywhere scratching their heads, and is redefining what is considered full employment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kallend said:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/50-years-of-us-wages-in-one-chart/

As the following chart shows, today’s wages in the United States are at a historically high level with average hourly earnings in March 2019 amounting to $23.24 in 2019 dollars. Coincidentally that matches the longtime peak of March 1974, when hourly wages adjusted to 2019 dollars amounted to exactly the same sum.

Try "US median incomes" its a simple search 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=eyHtXYqbLIzYsQXwlrfgAw&q=median+income+us&oq=median+income&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0l10.6096.11907..15274...0.0..0.109.1293.12j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.IoO9UITrQUk

Consumer confidence, 2016 to present, also interesting.

Something we can Agree on.

The official unemployment rate, or  full employment rate is a misnomer in many ways.... 

Unfortunately it always discounts folks that have give up, discouraged and broken in failure.These folks are represented along with some  20 other categories in the Labor force participation rate. "Persons not in labor force who want a job".

As that line goes down,"its a good thing" for those less fortunate that us.Hope change and opportunity now possible.

42 minutes ago, richravizza said:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/50-years-of-us-wages-in-one-chart/

As the following chart shows, today’s wages in the United States are at a historically high level with average hourly earnings in March 2019 amounting to $23.24 in 2019 dollars. Coincidentally that matches the longtime peak of March 1974, when hourly wages adjusted to 2019 dollars amounted to exactly the same sum.

Try "US median incomes" its a simple search 

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=eyHtXYqbLIzYsQXwlrfgAw&q=median+income+us&oq=median+income&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0l10.6096.11907..15274...0.0..0.109.1293.12j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.IoO9UITrQUk

Consumer confidence, 2016 to present, also interesting.

Something we can Agree on.

The official unemployment rate, or  full employment rate is a misnomer in many ways.... 

Unfortunately it always discounts folks that have give up, discouraged and broken in failure.These folks are represented along with some  20 other categories in the Labor force participation rate. "Persons not in labor force who want a job".

As that line goes down,"its a good thing" for those less fortunate that us.Hope change and opportunity now possible.

That's outstanding news for everyone. I'm curious, how many hourly employee's at Skydive Happy Valley made $23.24 an hour on average this year? I'd argue that averaging them in with your winnings, your gig economy piece workers or other better paid workers elsewhere isn't valid. If the answer is none, that's cool, and not your problem. It'll trickle down to them sometime from somewhere, right? Simple economics and business.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Since you lack a background in economics or business I will be patient with you.  What economists consider "full employment", is around 5%.   It is unremarkable that unemployment dropped from 10% to 5% under Obama, that is just normal business cycle stuff.  What is remarkable is the move from 5% down to 3.5%, with low inflation. It has economists everywhere scratching their heads, and is redefining what is considered full employment.

QED.

PS: My background is in data analysis in a real science.

14 minutes ago, kallend said:

QED.

PS: My background is in data analysis in a real science.

You won't get any argument from me.  It used to piss off my professors when I said economics had more in common with psychology than it did with math.  That said, a 3.5% unemployment rate for the U.S. is unprecedented in the modern era.  The growth in manufacturing jobs is particularly impressive even though a chunk of that was from the end of the GM strike.

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

None, our hourly employees (pilots) make $30 an hour. 

Now that's industry odd. So is that an actual hourly wage where they are scheduled for a certain number of hours per day or week and get $30 per hour for their scheduled shift, fly or not? Or is that $15. per load in a 182?

• Like 1

(edited)
45 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Now that's industry odd. So is that an actual hourly wage where they are scheduled for a certain number of hours per day or week and get $30 per hour for their scheduled shift, fly or not? Or is that $15. per load in a 182?

Joe, it's so inconvenient for people when you spot obvious BS and call it out. Maybe he pays $30 per log hour. Which of course would normally be less than minimum wage in real hours spent at the place of employment.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Joe, it's so inconvenient for people when you spot obvious BS and call it out. Maybe he pays $30 per log hour. Which of course would normally be less than minimum wage in real hours spent at the place of employment.

With your permission, like I actually give a fuck, I'm giving you a rep point for what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did to brighten my day at the NATO Summit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

With your permission, like I actually give a fuck, I'm giving you a rep point for what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did to brighten my day at the NATO Summit.

Rep points are getting to be like candy. Have one back! It's a shame we can't easily get together for a drink. Yourself, Brent, and I!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

It's $30 an hour with a two hour guarantee, just for showing up, rain or shine.  We have to contend with this pesky little thing called economics.  There is a glider operation we have to compete with, less than an hour away.

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It's $30 an hour with a two hour guarantee, just for showing up, rain or shine.  We have to contend with this pesky little thing called economics.  There is a glider operation we have to compete with, less than an hour away.

That's called a $60 show up fee, yo. And fucking right you'll buy. If nothing else maybe you can drink.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, brenthutch said:

How do you reconcile "labor shortage" with "too many people"?  

"1% isn't terrible and we are starting to see the effects of a labor shortage with increased pay but there are simply too many people and we're advancing automation more than ever.  "

Exactly how I quoted myself.  We're in a good job market and we're at as low of a rate of unemployment as we'll likely see but we've still not creating a situation in which salary increases.  There are many people willing to take low paying jobs and not complain about it.

26 minutes ago, DJL said:

"1% isn't terrible and we are starting to see the effects of a labor shortage with increased pay but there are simply too many people and we're advancing automation more than ever.  "

Exactly how I quoted myself.  We're in a good job market and we're at as low of a rate of unemployment as we'll likely see but we've still not creating a situation in which salary increases.  There are many people willing to take low paying jobs and not complain about it.

26 minutes ago, DJL said:

There are many people willing to take low paying jobs and not complain about it.

You mean like at Skydive Happy Valley?

The tight labor market is giving the worker more leverage than at anytime in the last 50 years.  Employers are scrambling to attract and retain talent. Real wages are up, there are more jobs available than workers to fill them.  If some one wants a better paying job they can just go out and get one.