2 hours ago, gresende007 said:

Hey guys, I've seen some posts about youngest skydiver to complete 1000 jumps but how about the youngest swooper? I am 17 and haven't competed yet but I plan on doing so and jump a JVX 69 loaded as 2.6 and swoop 810's for 110-120m on gates. What have you guys seen?

That's so cool.  Can I be on your ash dive?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jacobdouglastx said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...

I wondered that too, but the fact that he talked about swoop distance in meters made me think he was not from the USA, so he could be legit (are there any other countries with hard 18 year age limits like the USA?). He sure sounds like a teenager, so idk...

It is a real case in Portugal. He made the first jump in the same day he complete the 16 year - legal age for starting jumping. He never made a tandem and his mother is owner of a DZ. And he already broke an elbow in a "superman" landing.

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

I wondered that too, but the fact that he talked about swoop distance in meters made me think he was not from the USA, so he could be legit (are there any other countries with hard 18 year age limits like the USA?). He sure sounds like a teenager, so idk...

Not from the US but I sure wanna jump there!

(edited)
58 minutes ago, carvai said:

It is a real case in Portugal. He made the first jump in the same day he complete the 16 year - legal age for starting jumping. He never made a tandem and his mother is owner of a DZ. And he already broke an elbow in a "superman" landing.

Almost all true, almost.

Edited by gresende007

On 4/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, gresende007 said:

Hey guys, I've seen some posts about youngest skydiver to complete 1000 jumps but how about the youngest swooper? I am 17 and haven't competed yet but I plan on doing so and jump a JVX 69 loaded as 2.6 and swoop 810's for 110-120m on gates. What have you guys seen?

Ever hear of Charlie Mullins?

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, gresende007 said:

What have you guys seen?

In the early 2000's; Jeff Mullins was jumping an Extreme FX 84 and win/show/placing in swoop events. He has since gone on to become a Major in the Marine Corps and was one of the Blue Angel pilots last year. Another contender at that time was Luigi Cani - he jumped a VX 65, but I don't know how young he was.    

• Like 1

Meh. It's easy to be the youngest to do something.  Bragging about it only serves to confirm your age. Being the youngest to do something only takes parents with the required resources to make it happen. 

When others who do the same thing call you an expert, maybe then it's time to brag.   But most people who are experts in this sport are also humble enough to know they still have things to learn. When it's obvious that someone is an expert by what they say and do, there is no need to brag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skybytch said:

Meh. It's easy to be the youngest to do something.  Bragging about it only serves to confirm your age. Being the youngest to do something only takes parents with the required resources to make it happen. 

There was a 'youngest to...' craze in general aviation back in the mid-90s. 

It ended tragically when the desire to 'get there' overcame common sense and good judgement and killed a 7 year old girl, her father and the CFI who was the 'official' pilot in command. Search "Jessica Dubroff" for more.

The problem with it is that any high skill, high risk activity takes experience and judgement. 
The old adage "You don't know what you don't know" is very applicable. 

Regardless of age, a JVX at 2.4 at 1200 jumps is 'aggressive' at best. 

I know too many 'titanium club' members to take HP canopy stuff lightly. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BIGUN said:

In the early 2000's; Jeff Mullins was jumping an Extreme FX 84 and win/show/placing in swoop events. He has since gone on to become a Major in the Marine Corps and was one of the Blue Angel pilots last year. Another contender at that time was Luigi Cani - he jumped a VX 65, but I don't know how young he was.    

Jeffery still is a Blue Angel ; ).

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, skybytch said:

When others who do the same thing call you an expert, maybe then it's time to brag.   But most people who are experts in this sport are also humble enough to know they still have things to learn. When it's obvious that someone is an expert by what they say and do, there is no need to brag.

Dude, chill... I wasn't bragging. I simply stated facts about my young career, not in an attempt to brag but to maybe find others that are young like me and enjoy the same aspects of our sport