Hooknswoop

Minimum Age To Buy Firearms?

BIGUN

******I understand what you and TK are saying about highest population. But, then when we throw in the X in 100,000 model it kinda dilutes that overall number.

That's the point. Compared to total number, the rate, i.e., the number of gun deaths per 100K, is the more meaningful metric, allowing use to make meaningful, objective comparisons among locations of different population sizes.

No shit. Did you read the whole thing or just the part you wanted to throw rocks at?

Fantasies... it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, hence the emoji. Stop sitting in the corner ready to pounce on any little thing. I've been on the liberal side of this issue for days. Try to keep up.

Keith,

In fairness it's hard to keep up with each persons position on this one. We have hard core believers at both ends of the conversation, a few gun toting pinko's like me stalking the center and a fair amount of movement on some issues, too.

Could you clarify which positions place you on the liberal side of the issue?

Joe

Also, I need a firing pin and a spring for my CZ BRNO RV85 if anyone has a connection.

Morning Joe.

Could you clarify which positions place you on the liberal side of the issue?

The entire proposal here is based on the liberal agenda: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4876454#4876454

On a similar note, I watched the movie, "Miss Sloane" last night (Amazon Prime) regarding the gun issues. Good movie and pretty factual on how DC works. Something both sides of the aisle may wish to watch. I'd give it four :D:|:o:D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

jcd11235

*** entire proposal here is based on the liberal agenda: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4876454#4876454

Um, no, it isn't, not by a long shot.

Um, yes, it is actually. The only thing missing is the assault weapons ban which hasn't worked; which won't work and is just a silly knee-jerk reaction after each act of violence in which it was used.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Um, yes, it is actually.

No, it actually isn't. You failed to include the most obvious and necessary step, i.e., reinstating the AWB, and you proposed arming teachers. You're still well right of center.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I think it’s fairly centrist. Some of the right is really far right of what I see as center, so “center” really is relative. It has stuff I don’t really like, but it moves the ball, and it forms a basis for discussion. Any movement to the middle beats the current “my way or the highway” approach.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jcd11235

***Um, yes, it is actually.

No, it actually isn't. You failed to include the most obvious and necessary step, i.e., reinstating the AWB, and you proposed arming teachers. You're still well right of center.

I disagree. Most of those proposals would never fly with hard core NRA loving gun owners. NEVER.

Rural America is a long way from accepting anything close to that. I think of farmers and ranchers who teach their kids to hunt and shoot. New gun manufactures would have a Sh**fit.

>>> You failed to include the most obvious and necessary step, i.e., reinstating the AWB,

Pssst. Look up. I addressed that.

>>>and you proposed arming teachers.

No. No, I didn't. Keyword is "may." They have the freedom to choose.

wmw999

I think it’s fairly centrist. Some of the right is really far right of what I see as center, so “center” really is relative. It has stuff I don’t really like, but it moves the ball, and it forms a basis for discussion. Any movement to the middle beats the current “my way or the highway” approach.

Wendy P.

I agree. For Kieth, it's a significant movement leftward, toward the center, on this particular issue. But it can't be reasonably presented as "based on the liberal agenda."

Phil1111

I disagree. Most of those proposals would never fly with hard core NRA loving gun owners. NEVER.

Yes, it's left of right-wing extremists. That doesn't make it liberal, any more than being less biased than Brietbart makes FoxNews liberal.

jcd11235

***I disagree. Most of those proposals would never fly with hard core NRA loving gun owners. NEVER.

Yes, it's left of right-wing extremists. That doesn't make it liberal, any more than being less biased than Brietbart makes FoxNews liberal.

Currently about 25% of Americans would ban all guns. Republicans control all branches of government.

With those concepts in mind why don't you suggest actual policy rather than Rushmc type responses?

Phil1111

With those concepts in mind why don't you suggest actual policy rather than Rushmc type responses?

Billvon provided some great ideas for starting, though additional steps are needed outside of schools. I would expect those additional steps to target willful ignorance and disdain toward intellect more than guns.

The AR15 is one of the most owned guns in the country today.

The past ban did not stop that nor did it reduce ANY crimes!!!

So, for the gun grabbers to be going after one of most owned, but one of least used in a crime gun, shows the hypocrisy of their position for all to see.

It also shows the end game. A total ban. Some politicians have admitted that goal. I think many here have the same goal but are not ever going to admit it publically.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

BIGUN

****** entire proposal here is based on the liberal agenda: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4876454#4876454

Um, no, it isn't, not by a long shot.

Um, yes, it is actually. The only thing missing is the assault weapons ban which hasn't worked; which won't work and is just a silly knee-jerk reaction after each act of violence in which it was used.

I'll fully admit that my support of the AWB is a knee jerk, but my reaction is also, "Why do we need those weapons available on the public market in the first place?" Seems like an easy item to clean up before addressing the remainder of the issues. My reasoning is that when we get to the end of the debate we're still going to say (at least in my opinion) that assault rifles are in the same category as machine guns in their design and intent. Yes, I know there are those out there who say they hunt deer with them because they're such an awesome shot but if you're such an awesome shot then why do you need 10 more rounds for follow-up? BOOYAH!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

rushmc

The AR15 is one of the most owned guns in the country today.

The past ban did not stop that nor did it reduce ANY crimes!!!

So, for the gun grabbers to be going after one of most owned, but one of least used in a crime gun, shows the hypocrisy of their position for all to see.

It also shows the end game. A total ban. Some politicians have admitted that goal. I think many here have the same goal but are not ever going to admit it publically.

No shit, it's not used in gun crime, would you walk down the street with a 3 foot long rifle towards a convenience store at 1AM and think you'll get there before the police do?

And in the period in which this weapon has been glorified as the symbol of all that is 2A we've had an explosion of mass shooting with it as the gun of choice. It and similar assault rifles have demonstrated themselves to be capable of inflicting the most damage in the shortest amount of time.

What do you say to that?

If you (YES YOU) don't figure out how to keep weapons IN the hands on ONLY law abiding owners then a ban is exactly what you're going to get. Fewer gun deaths equals fewer people calling for gun restrictions. It's as simple as that.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

To both your points and Rush's position.

The fact of the matter is; you are correct about the hunting issue. I think one of the worst things done was lowering the caliber from .308 to .223 for both the hunter and the animal. We had a rule when I was Instructor at Bragg - If you're going to kill it; kill it. If you kill it; eat it and don't kill any more than you need to eat. And, the .223 round does not kill well. Unfortunately, many think it is modeled after the M-16 which is a different round all together and even it doesn't kill that well.

I've always been opposed to feel-good regulations and to Rush's point; he's actually right about it being used the least to kill people. It's just that when it does; it's "mostly" a child issue and it get's more media attention than the number of handguns that kill children OR even for that matter - the number of child deaths each year from not wearing seat belts (that's a horrible number). Back on track... so when these things do happen it becomes an agenda and the agenda is the same each time. Even Feinstein's latest bill mimics the retarded 94-04 ban rules. It didn't work then and it won't work again. The really ridiculous part is that Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama all endorsed an assault rifle ban. And, it did not work.

Rush's point is that there are ~30,000,000 million AR's out there. At an average of $1,000/each - that's a voice of 30 Billion dollars screaming "don't ban my weapons!!!" (and, I might add that are both Democrat & Republican). That's why 15 Democrats crossed the aisle last time AND during a predominately Democratic house.

I get that we're going to be on opposite sides of the fence on the ban issue. But, if the goal is to truly end this; there has to be a long-term goal. It has to start with a "Well-Regulated" system of registration. All weapons (every one of them) must first be registered. Caught with an unregistered weapon; confiscated, $10,000 fine and a year in Jail for the first offense. Downhill from there.

People must be licensed - not the weapon.
They must be educated on the proper storage, ownership, transport and transfer of those weapons (we can use the FFLs for this).
There needs to be a cradle-to-grave ownership system for all weapons; not unlike vehicles.
They need more training than a day in the class and a day popping off 50 rounds.
And, I believe in armed campus police at the schools (I'll never understand why we have become so adept at TSA at the airports; but we can't do if for kids).

Now.... how many jobs did we just create? ;)

IMHO - it needs to be a systemic logical, long-term approach; not an immediate feel-good approach. If we do all of those bullet items and then get everyone to sign an affidavit that you get to keep your AR's and if there's still an Assault Rifle issue - you agree to surrender them without a buy-back. How many people would do a much better job of keeping an eye on the AR's out of fear of losing them.

We believe in policing our own. Why not use the same approach with some legal teeth to it and make people accountable for owning - not just AR's; but every weapon. Liberals can't shout "Banning doesn't work; look at alcohol!!" when it suits their agenda; then turn around and holler, "The only thing to do is ban assault rifles!!!"

Have a great day.

EDIT: oops, spelling

rushmc

My AR-15 is chambered in 123 grain 6.5 Grendel.

A great hunting round.

SAD, you profess an opinion about a firearm you own. But as usual, you're wrong.

The weight of bullet you use has nothing to do with the chambering or its SAAMI dimensions.

Please admit your age to these discussions so amendments can be made to exclude yourself. Together with other AR-15 owners who obviously know nothing about their weapons.;)

Phil1111

***My AR-15 is chambered in 123 grain 6.5 Grendel.

A great hunting round.

SAD, you profess an opinion about a firearm you own. But as usual, you're wrong.

The weight of bullet you use has nothing to do with the chambering or its SAAMI dimensions.

Please admit your age to these discussions so amendments can be made to exclude yourself. Together with other AR-15 owners who obviously know nothing about their weapons.;)

The 6.5 Grendel is a SAAMI round.

And the fact that you think you know what others think about their weapons or know about their weapons is proof of your closed minded opinions.
Abraham Lincoln

By the way, I am an avid reloader. I learned about ballistics and powder and bullet weights and chamber pressures so that I did not kill myself because of reloading errors. Your mind reading is as weak as any other that I've seen here on this forum
Abraham Lincoln

Also you should know the favorite round I reload is 129 grain soft points.

Using 29.5 grains of CFE with that round is giving me one inch groups at 200 yards. It's a great round and it has a lot of knock down power.

It's too fucking bad I don't know anything about what I'm shooting isn't it pal?
Abraham Lincoln

Would you like to discuss the rounds I'm shooting out of my Marlin model 336 that uses the 35 Remington round?
Abraham Lincoln

Anytime you're in the mood for a bitch slapping please come back. I really enjoy it!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Anytime you're in the mood for a bitch slapping please come back. I really enjoy it!

It must be a real treat for you to be right. It happens so seldom.....

Congratulations. I don't really blame you for your lack of graciousness. We do ride you hard here. How many posts are going to squeeze out of it?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.