RonD1120

Jewish/Hebrew Analysis of the Solar Eclipse

I am not posting this reference to debate evangelism.

Mark Biltz provides an excellent explanation of God's calendar, timing and signs. It is about 1.25 hours long. If you have no interest in these things don't bother. It will bore you to tears. However, if you do find yourself curious about esoteric teachings you will enjoy it, especially if you are a Hebrew scholar.

Winsor, I thought of you when I watched and listened to Biltz. You are probably the only one here with enough knowledge regarding Jewish feasts, traditions and customs to grasp the message immediately. The rest of us will have to do homework.

http://www.rapturewatch.net/apps/videos/videos/show/19024235-mark-biltz-eclipse-2017
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

A solar eclipse has nothing to do with religion - any religion.

If you're on the internet so often looking at websites to understand the world, why don't you ever visit an actual science website?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

A solar eclipse has nothing to do with religion - any religion.

If you're on the internet so often looking at websites to understand the world, why don't you ever visit an actual science website?

Why do people like you have to ruin things for some people?

What for example if interplanetary interactions, the very interactions of astrophysics was a Christian action. Not Allah, or any other religion?

Theology
See also: Religious cosmology, Hellenistic philosophy and Christianity, and Orphism (religion)

In theology, the cosmos is the created heavenly bodies (sun, moon, planets, and fixed stars). In Christian theology, the word is also used synonymously with aion[6] to refer to "worldly life" or "this world" or "this age" as opposed to the afterlife or world to come.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos

I'll have to leave further discussions to you and Ron. Quasars, pulsars etc. are all very confusing to me!!

"Gravity" is just a theory. Eclipses happen naturally. And even if eclipses happen, it doesn't mean that gravity had anything to do with it. And even it if did, eclipses are good for us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Try focusing less on religious texts and more on why humans are fascinated with solar eclipses to begin with.

For instance, one of the first things every civilization around the planet throughout history has done is develop a calendar to denote the seasons for the purposes of agriculture. In the course of doing this, they also all notice eclipses and eventually discover they happen in cycles.

Regardless of country or religion, they observe nature and begin to understand gods aren't in charge, but simple, explainable, and most importantly predictable processes.

It's the very beginnings of science.

Eclipses are a lot of things, but unless you're a caveman there is no need to invoke any religious overtones on them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

theplummeter

I'd say that this whole eclipse thing was God being mad at Trump, but I think we all know that the planet is flat and that God will come before the moon is allowed to block the sun in my lifetime.

Planning on dying soon?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2019-july-2
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Iago

***A solar eclipse has nothing to do with religion - any religion.

That was unnecessary.

Why?

It's abundantly clear that the charlatans are out in force.

Anytime there's an unusual astral event, or even simply one that can be manipulated to appear to match "biblical prophecies", those types come out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

Of course, when nothing happens, they fade away, only to reappear the next time.

The best way to deal with them is to "shine the light" of science and reason on them. It makes them run away, just like cockroaches when the kitchen light is turned on.

This shit isn't 'religion', it's con men preying on the gullible.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

***I'd say that this whole eclipse thing was God being mad at Trump, but I think we all know that the planet is flat and that God will come before the moon is allowed to block the sun in my lifetime.

Planning on dying soon?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2019-july-2

If I don't die then I meant the next one, obviously.

>This shit isn't 'religion', it's con men preying on the gullible.

I would say it's just religious types with their latest prediction (which isn't any more reliable than the last few thousand predictions they made.)

There are definitely are con men out there preying on the gullible - they are asking for money for salvation, and pulling people into cults and convincing them to steal, kill and suicide. I tend to reserve my contempt for them.

>The Atlantic: The Eclipse Conspiracy

Wake up sheeple! THE SCIENCE ISN'T SETTLED!

There's only one problem with eclipses - they ended in 2015!

There are no such things as eclipses. OK, there are such things, but they are fake. They're not fake but they are ALL GOOD.

gowlerk

That is the definition, root, and main purpose of religion.

There is some truth in your statement. The object is to seek relationship with Christ by the Holy Spirit. If you have to move ten inches to make contact you do not know the Lord.

Some people simply need to be conned. Guess which political party I think they prefer.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

There is some truth in your statement. The object is to seek relationship with Christ by the Holy Spirit. If you have to move ten inches to make contact you do not know the Lord.

Some people simply need to be conned. Guess which political party I think they prefer.

I would slightly modify my statement. It's not fair to just refer to "gullible" people. The need for answers and understanding is deeper than that. Organized religion is a way to harness and use that need.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

SkyDekker

There is some truth in your statement. The object is to seek relationship with Christ by the Holy Spirit.

Uhm no. The object is to control a large group of people for the purpose of enrichment.

Well, I am not controlled and my church is not getting rich from my tithing.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept carried over into modern "religion." The New Testament instructs us to be a cheerful giver. It is an act of faith. You cannot out give God.

gowlerk

I would slightly modify my statement. It's not fair to just refer to "gullible" people. The need for answers and understanding is deeper than that. Organized religion is a way to harness and use that need.

For some folks it supplies the answers for that need.

RonD1120

As an atheist, I agree with Ron on this one. Televangelism gives US religion a bad name. But i know many Christians, a couple Mormons and others who believe in "God" that don't have a dishonest, uncompassionate, part of their being.

People that go with church groups to third world countries to help with charities. At great personal expense.

I think Ron is getting a bit of a hard time on this because of his personal political views. Of course him throwing politics into the argument doesn't help his cause. Given trump and all.

To no one in particular.

What I find amazing is that we have scientists and mathematicians who can calculate when and where, each eclipse will occur, years and decades in advance.

Yet, we cannot get the fucking airlines to figure out a fair ticket/seating system for everyone without screwing some people over. :|

nolhtairt

To no one in particular.

What I find amazing is that we have scientists and mathematicians who can calculate when and where, each eclipse will occur, years and decades in advance.

Yet, we cannot get the fucking airlines to figure out a fair ticket/seating system for everyone without screwing some people over. :|

Thats because the quant guys in each airline and the software guys that write the pricing codes try to maximize every dollar on any available flight to take advantage of the price elasticity of travelers.

Phil1111

As an atheist, I agree with Ron on this one. Televangelism gives US religion a bad name. But i know many Christians, a couple Mormons and others who believe in "God" that don't have a dishonest, uncompassionate, part of their being.

People that go with church groups to third world countries to help with charities. At great personal expense.

I think Ron is getting a bit of a hard time on this because of his personal political views. Of course him throwing politics into the argument doesn't help his cause. Given trump and all.

First off, I agree that much of this is a result of man's inherent need for explanations.

Where did we come from? Well, early man had no clue about archaeology, so they made up stories about the "Garden of Eden" (or all the other creation myths that came from all the other societies).

What happens when we die? Well the idea of simply stopping life and it being over isn't palatable to many, so the idea of an afterlife addressed that.

Second off, I also agree that there are many, many 'people of faith' that use their religion for 'good'. I know a fair amount of Christians, Jews, Mormons and even Muslims that try to live their faith to make the world a better place. The Christians actually try to live according to the teachings of Christ. I have a lot of respect for those people. I don't agree with or follow their beliefs, but I respect that.

And yes, I don't rip on Ron because of his beliefs. It's his blatant hypocrisy, blatant mis-application of the scriptures, clear belief in his 'beliefs' and disregard for the truth, and his mixing politics with religion that I find troubling.

And Ron: I agree that there are people that have the need to be conned. They need their belief structure reinforced regardless of the truth. They blatantly ignore the actual, verifiable truth because it is in conflict with their beliefs.

You know, beliefs along the lines of:

"All Muslims are terrorists, so we should keep them out of this country."

"All Mexicans are rapists, so we should build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

"Obama spends too much time playing golf. If I'm in the White House, I don't think I'll have any time to play golf."

Which party was it that fell for those cons? And the con artist that said them?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This thread needs to be trimmed.

I do not believe all Muslims are terrorists. I do not believe all Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers. All I ask is let's us do our damn level best to vet them and weed out the bad ones.

Golf does not concern me at all.

BTW, I go to my church for the music. We have professional studio quality musicians. They play praise and worship music in the Southern Rock style. Yesterday we had a 2.5 hour concert with no preaching. We were dancing in the aisles.

wolfriverjoe

"All Muslims are terrorists, so we should keep them out of this country."

"All Mexicans are rapists, so we should build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

Which party was it that fell for those cons?

The Democrats.

wolfriverjoe

And the con artist that said them?

The liberal MSM