RMK

UK Parliament Attacks (22 March 2017)

DanG

Terror attacks in some countries are news because they are rare, not because the inhabitants are predominantly a certain race.

You're smart enough to know that. Stop trolling.

I wouldn't be so hasty to accuse Jakee of trolling.

I watch satellite television news from the USA (CNN & Fox), the UK (BBC), and of course my own country (CBC & CTV) faithfully.

In my opinion, the attack in London (4 deceased, 31 seriously injured) received significant attention in the USA, with constant updates breaking in on the steady diet of navel-gaze live feeds broadcasting the Supreme Court confirmation hearings and the House Intelligence Committee interrogations in DC.

I contrast that with the very modest response from the US media immediately following the terrorist attack in Quebec City eight weeks ago (6 deceased, 19 seriously injured).

Another interesting difference is;
London - dark guy killed white people.
Quebec - white guy killed dark people.

A further subtle difference snub that probably went unnoticed outside of Canada, the US President reacted immediately to the London incident with public statements and personal call to the British PM.

In Canada, we were honoured to receive... oh yeah, the President didn't respond at all.

aphid

***Terror attacks in some countries are news because they are rare, not because the inhabitants are predominantly a certain race.

You're smart enough to know that. Stop trolling.

I wouldn't be so hasty to accuse Jakee of trolling.

I watch satellite television news from the USA (CNN & Fox), the UK (BBC), and of course my own country (CBC & CTV) faithfully.

In my opinion, the attack in London (4 deceased, 31 seriously injured) received significant attention in the USA, with constant updates breaking in on the steady diet of navel-gaze live feeds broadcasting the Supreme Court confirmation hearings and the House Intelligence Committee interrogations in DC.

I contrast that with the very modest response from the US media immediately following the terrorist attack in Quebec City eight weeks ago (6 deceased, 19 seriously injured).

Another interesting difference is;
London - dark guy killed white people.
Quebec - white guy killed dark people.

A further subtle difference snub that probably went unnoticed outside of Canada, the US President reacted immediately to the London incident with public statements and personal call to the British PM.

In Canada, we were honoured to receive... oh yeah, the President didn't respond at all.

Yeah, and the US president did not pat your PM's hand like he did with May's ....:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

jakee

***If the 5 people killed in London were black, do you really think the media would've ignored it?

No, because it still would've happened in a rich, white country.

If 5 people were killed in a poor black country do you really think the reaction would be the same?

Your initial argument was essentially "terrorist attack in London!" vs. "Breaking news - War in the middle East!"

Ya, the whole Kenya thing was a better example, but still, "terrorism in Africa!" really isn't news. It's not that people here in the U.S don't care. We have plenty of missionaries risking their lives in those parts. There was also the whole "Kony 2012" thing going viral. We have plenty of "based on a true story" movies - "Machine gun Preacher," for example.

Comparisons of gun violence in the US are always limited to other "developed/1st world countries." But now you want to equate everything - how convenient.

The bottom line is that those looking to exploit fear, whether through politics or the media, left or right, will always milk it for everything it's worth. . .

sonnyblu

******If the 5 people killed in London were black, do you really think the media would've ignored it?

No, because it still would've happened in a rich, white country.

If 5 people were killed in a poor black country do you really think the reaction would be the same?

Your initial argument was essentially "terrorist attack in London!" vs. "Breaking news - War in the middle East!"

No it wasn't. My initial argument was a response to another poster's assessment of what 'giving a shit about the rest of the world' actually means. And ongoing conflicts with massive numbers of killed and displaced people are much more worthy of giving a shit about than a handful of murders in London.

Ya, the whole Kenya thing was a better example, but still, "terrorism in Africa!" really isn't news. It's not that people here in the U.S don't care.

Yes, it is.

Comparisons of gun violence in the US are always limited to other "developed/1st world countries." But now you want to equate everything - how convenient.

It's neither convenient nor unconvenient, it's irrelevant. It's a completely different discussion with a completely different set of criteria. I'm not equating anything to anything right now.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

About a week or so ago, there was a big deal about how the liberal media didn't give enough attention to a story about an 18 year-old illegal immigrant raping a 14 year-old girl at school.

Anyway, liberals or whoever may say that these girls get raped in school on a regular basis by legal citizens, but we never report it. Ok, maybe that's true. I don't know? After all, it's never reported, right?

The thing is, is that I think people understand that this shit is going to happen. There's nothing much we can do about it. But if it's an illegal, we can do something - we can deport theses fucking pieces of shit.

That's what this is all about.

We can't relate to Mosul of Raqqa - it's a war zone - of course deaths are expected.

Kenya? Oh, here we go again! Who is it this time? rebels, Muslims, Christians, LRA, Janjaweed? (pardon the redundancy)

We can't relate to the infrastructure nor the security measures of these countries.

But if it's London? Shit, they're like us. We're vulnerable! What are we gonna do about it!?

You better believe the media is gonna lap that shit up and spit it back out. . .

I'm all for deporting illegal (or legal) immigrants who offend.
I'm not for preemptively deporting illegal immigrants because some of them might be criminals, when a larger percentage of the general population are criminals.

And highlighting the illegals who do offend, while ignoring the much larger number who don't, is dishonest. Why? Because it tacitly gives a pass to others who offend.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

sonnyblu

About a week or so ago, there was a big deal about how the liberal media didn't give enough attention to a story about an 18 year-old illegal immigrant raping a 14 year-old girl at school.

Anyway, liberals or whoever may say that these girls get raped in school on a regular basis by legal citizens, but we never report it. Ok, maybe that's true. I don't know? After all, it's never reported, right?

The thing is, is that I think people understand that this shit is going to happen. There's nothing much we can do about it. But if it's an illegal, we can do something - we can deport theses fucking pieces of shit.

That's what this is all about.

We can't relate to Mosul of Raqqa - it's a war zone - of course deaths are expected.

Kenya? Oh, here we go again! Who is it this time? rebels, Muslims, Christians, LRA, Janjaweed? (pardon the redundancy)

We can't relate to the infrastructure nor the security measures of these countries.

But if it's London? Shit, they're like us. We're vulnerable! What are we gonna do about it!?

You better believe the media is gonna lap that shit up and spit it back out. . .

So, you're equating Quebec City to Mosul or Kenya (et al)?

It appears you have engaged simply to be contrarian.

Thank you, no. I'll pass.

sonnyblu

You know, it's not really worth discussing shite with you given your selective quoting and failure to address the totality of my response.

I did address the totality of your response.

Obviously tht's not good enough for you for some reason, but to be quite honest, I really don't give a toss what a sockpuppet troll like you thinks of what I have to say.

I'm all for deporting illegal (or legal) immigrants who offend.

By definition entering the country illegally is an offense. Are you just choosing which offense you'd like to engage?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

jakee

***You know, it's not really worth discussing shite with you given your selective quoting and failure to address the totality of my response.

I did address the totality of your response.

No, you didn't.

jakee

Obviously tht's not good enough for you for some reason, but to be quite honest, I really don't give a toss what a sockpuppet troll like you thinks of what I have to say.

Well apparently you do.

And I'm not the one who is trolling this thread, buddy.

No, you didn't.

Pointing out that you were misrepresenting everything I said does, on its own, address the totality of your post because it means that your post is totally pointless.

If you want to have an honest discussion I'll be here, if not you'll be talking to yourself from now on.

And I'm not the one who is trolling this thread

Sockpuppets are, by definition, trolls.

jakee

My initial argument was a response to another poster's assessment of what 'giving a shit about the rest of the world' actually means. And ongoing conflicts with massive numbers of killed and displaced people are much more worthy of giving a shit about than a handful of murders in London.

Fine, I'll respond. :S

1) I was responding to this specific incident because that was the thread. I replied to the OP.

2) I didn't think a dissertation on the "nature of news" was required in my reply. Again, it was in context of the OP. But since apparently it is, then yes, you're correct: there are a lot of terrible things going on in the world, and Americans are woefully ignorant of most of them. However, if you're talking who in the world is closest to the US in terms of allies, the UK is right up there (Canada too -- and yes, I do recall the Quebec attacks, and am disgusted by them as well. And Kenya. And Mosul. And Yemen. And in the FATA of Pakistan). So therefore, if the U.S. news was going to prioritize any foreign late-breaking news, you'd think the UK Parliament attacks would certainly rate. It was a disappointed analysis that if the U.S. news could barely be bothered to cover this attack, how the hell can we expect that the American public would be aware of anything else going on in the world?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

2) I didn't think a dissertation on the "nature of news" was required in my reply. Again, it was in context of the OP. But since apparently it is, then yes, you're correct: there are a lot of terrible things going on in the world, and Americans are woefully ignorant of most of them. However, if you're talking who in the world is closest to the US in terms of allies, the UK is right up there (Canada too -- and yes, I do recall the Quebec attacks, and am disgusted by them as well. And Kenya. And Mosul. And Yemen. And in the FATA of Pakistan). So therefore, if the U.S. news was going to prioritize any foreign late-breaking news, you'd think the UK Parliament attacks would certainly rate. It was a disappointed analysis that if the U.S. news could barely be bothered to cover this attack, how the hell can we expect that the American public would be aware of anything else going on in the world?

Yeah that's fair. Though I'd say there's a huge difference between attacking Parliament and attacking close to the Parliament building. And in the scheme of things it's still a really, really small attack. Sure, it's tragic for the people who were killed, but it always is when anyone is killed for any reason. but on a scale of 1 to 10 for european islamic terror attacks I'd rate it a solid 2, maybe scraping a 3.

Iago

Coming soon to a city near you.

Who needs a suicide vest when you can just drive a car through a crowd and take out the same number of people?

Explosives are hard to come by, cars are on every corner.

The jihadists are using the refugee crisis to infiltrate the west.

Well, except the driver was born in the UK.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

Yeah that's fair. Though I'd say there's a huge difference between attacking Parliament and attacking close to the Parliament building.

Fair clarification (I wrote the last in a hurry). Although considering at the time, no one knew whether anyone else was involved, and the perpetrator was moving toward the Parliament building (IIRC). Local officials were worried enough that they locked down everyone IN the building for hours. That's news.

And in the scheme of things it's still a really, really small attack. Sure, it's tragic for the people who were killed, but it always is when anyone is killed for any reason. but on a scale of 1 to 10 for european islamic terror attacks I'd rate it a solid 2, maybe scraping a 3.

We know that now (see reply above). Had the perpetrator access to firearms, we also know the impact could have been much worse. So in a place without public access to firearms, in a country at the top of the US friends list, and in a location within that country that has some of the highest security, an attack of this nature is unusual, and therefore "breaking" news. Or at least, it should have been to US news outlets.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

aphid

I'm not really into the whole circle-jerking thing.

However, people in my circle ARE informed about what's been going on in Quebec, Mosul, Kenya among many other places - some are Knee deep in the shit. Practically every Church that I've attended across this great country of ours has multiple missionary programs per year.

Some people give all they have to help, some have even died. So please excuse me if I take exception with those that say that "americans are woefully ignorant" and that such comments are "fair."

That's the thing with stereotypes - you're likely to offend someone. I thought liberals were aware of that.

sonnyblu

I'm not really into the whole circle-jerking thing.

However, people in my circle ARE informed about what's been going on in Quebec, Mosul, Kenya among many other places - some are Knee deep in the shit. Practically every Church that I've attended across this great country of ours has multiple missionary programs per year.

Some people give all they have to help, some have even died. So please excuse me if I take exception with those that say that "americans are woefully ignorant" and that such comments are "fair."

That's the thing with stereotypes - you're likely to offend someone. I thought liberals were aware of that.

Let me get this straight. You've been to churches who are sending missionaries to Quebec City?? Are you sure about that??

pbwing

Let me get this straight. You've been to churches who are sending missionaries to Quebec City?? Are you sure about that??

Are you sure that's what I said?

Even if I did, what would be so wrong with something like a youth group mission trip to Quebec?