RMK

UK Parliament Attacks (22 March 2017)

My offices are less than a half mile from the Houses of Parliament and I was in a meeting when the event happened; someone noticed the news on their phone, but we carried on uninterrupted.

When I got home, my wife showed me a text from our nanny/babysitter who coincidentally was in Parliament during the lockdown and was stuck there. She had taken her aunt, who was visiting from Scotland, to a talk/presentation. She said when the news was first announced that there was an “incident” outside the building, they just carried on with the discussion. However, later armed police came in and moved them hurriedly to another room and then subsequently to Westminster Abbey. As they all had to be processed to leave (there were over 1500 people) she was there for 6 hours.

Ironically, they had gone there to see a presentation on anti-terrorism.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I work in media (sort of), so my officers and I have our TVs tuned to various news programs throughout the day. The true tragedy of the current American isolationism is that this incident was only shown as an inset video with barely a label and no sound, while discussion continued with "did they or didn't they" regarding the Trump campaign and possible collusion with Russia, and the scandalous behavior of a member of Congress rushing to the White House to tell the President members of his team were mentioned (vaguely) in intelligence products.

I had to wait to hear the details of the attack until I could tune into National Public Radio during my drive home.

I'm sorry you've had another senseless attack. I hope you can find answers soon, and I hope we pull our collective head out of our dark spaces and give more of a shit about the rest of the world very soon.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

On the train home this evening, I just read that one the victims killed was an American tourist, from Utah, here on a trip celebrating his 25th wedding anniversary.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

The true tragedy of the current American isolationism is that this incident was only shown as an inset video with barely a label and no sound,

And in the meantime 30 civilians died in an airstrike against a school in Raqqa and 130 civilians died in an airstrike in Mosul but sure, the level of concern for 5 white people in London is the real global tragedy here.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

The true tragedy of the current American isolationism is that this incident was only shown as an inset video with barely a label and no sound,

And in the meantime 30 civilians died in an airstrike against a school in Raqqa and 130 civilians died in an airstrike in Mosul but sure, the level of concern for 5 white people in London is the real global tragedy here.

And on any typical day in the USA some 30 citizens are killed by their fellow gun toting citizens, but that's OK and nothing to worry about.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

And on any typical day in the USA some 30 citizens are killed by their fellow gun toting citizens, but that's OK and nothing to worry about.

You libve in Chicago John. What are you doing to stem the violence?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

You libve in Chicago John. What are you doing to stem the violence?

Just living in a neighborhood where there have been no shootings in the past 3 years since I moved there, so I guess I am doing it right!

:P

(And you may have noticed that the murders in other parts of the city have spiked since the gun controls were loosened and CCW was legalized)

jakee

Ya, my sentiments as well. But come on man, it wasn't really about white people in London, and you know that. . .

kallend

Ya, no shit!

Where are all the protests against all the inner-city shooting deaths in Chicago?

sonnyblu

Ya, my sentiments as well. But come on man, it wasn't really about white people in London, and you know that. . .

The reaction of the media and everyone watching? Yeah, it really was.

If terrorists had just killed only 5 black people in Kenya or brown people in Turkey you wouldn't even have heard about it. Hell, maybe they have for all I know. You'd be lucky if there was even a googleable story written in English about it.

sonnyblu

Ya, no shit!

Where are all the protests against all the inner-city shooting deaths in Chicago?

In the Trump White House.

(You are aware, of course ;), that on a per capita basis Chicago doesn't even make the top 20 of violent cities in the USA.)

and

247wallst.com/special-report/2016/09/27/25-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/2/

sonnyblu

Ya, no shit!

Because black on black crime doesn't fit in with Jesse Jackson and his ilk's agenda. Only white on black or police brutality does. :S

nolhtairt

Ya, no shit!

Because black on black crime doesn't fit in with Jesse Jackson and his ilk's agenda. Only white on black or police brutality does. :S

There are actually "Anti Violence" marches on a reasonably regular basis in Chicago.
They just don't get national news coverage.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Ya, no shit!

There are actually "Anti Violence" marches on a reasonably regular basis in Chicago.
They just don't get national news coverage.

FACTS can be SO inconvenient.

nolhtairt

Ya, no shit!

That is quite a bit of ignorance....

Have you ever even tried a simple google search on the matter? Ever typed in anti violence march Chicago and just looked at dates?

Obviously not, just easier to repeat ignorance that feels truthy.

But let me guess, you aren't one cause you have a black friend.

kallend

Ya, no shit!

In the Trump White House.

(You are aware, of course ;), that on a per capita basis Chicago doesn't even make the top 20 of violent cities in the USA.)

You said that on any typical day, there are 30 gun murders. Typically, Chicago would be responsible for more of those deaths than any other city.

Ya they're further down on the list on a per capita basis, but all the privileged living in densely populated safe areas downtown like the Loop help soften the numbers.

jakee

The reaction of the media and everyone watching? Yeah, it really was.

If terrorists had just killed only 5 black people in Kenya or brown people in Turkey you wouldn't even have heard about it.

If the 5 people killed in London were black, do you really think the media would've ignored it?

sonnyblu

If the 5 people killed in London were black, do you really think the media would've ignored it?

No, because it still would've happened in a rich, white country.

If 5 people were killed in a poor black country do you really think the reaction would be the same?

Thanks, Dan. You got to this before I could.

And additionally, IMHO, isn't it interesting that the perpetrator was natural-born British? And in his 50s? Sort of diminishes the scare tactics rhetoric the US government is spouting about those "dangerous young men posing as refugees" in order to wreak all the havoc possible in western countries.

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

Thanks, Dan. You got to this before I could.

And additionally, IMHO, isn't it interesting that the perpetrator was natural-born British? And in his 50s? Sort of diminishes the scare tactics rhetoric the US government is spouting about those "dangerous young men posing as refugees" in order to wreak all the havoc possible in western countries.

It's not just the US Govt - the fucktrumpets on the right in the UK like Farage are just as bad.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***Thanks, Dan. You got to this before I could.

It's not just the US Govt - the fucktrumpets on the right in the UK like Farage are just as bad.
Agreed, but with the media here pretty much talking all day/every day about the shenanigans in our own government, that's almost all I get to compare it to.

Shut Up & Jump!

DanG

Terror attacks in some countries are news because they are rare, not because the inhabitants are predominantly a certain race.

No-one's got bored of reporting terror attacks in France yet, have they?

Conversely, a few years ago there was a sudden surge in terror attacks in Kenya. It was rare, then it became common, yet through that phase I don't remember seeing much of anything reported on the mainstream news until the Westgate Mall. Do you? If you don't think there's a difference in how people respond to things that happen to people like us vs people like them I just don't know what to say to you.

Frankly, far from being a sign that people don't care about the outside world I think the response to the London terror attack is a drastic overreaction. On average 4 people are murdered in London every week and a half. 4 people are killed in one go and everyone goes bat shit crazy. All that's on Facebook are lemmings finding out if their friends are safe because they haven't posted anything for 20 minutes, as if the chances are high that in a city of eight million people they might be one of the four unlucky ones. There seriously needs to be some perspective.

You're smart enough to know that. Stop trolling.

Well damn. Why did I think that "giving more of a shit about the rest of the world" should mean paying attention to big problems instead of just tiny problems? You're right, it was crazy.

DanG

Terror attacks in some countries are news because they are rare, not because the inhabitants are predominantly a certain race.

You're smart enough to know that. Stop trolling.

Terror attacks in some *black* countries are not that rare but, rarely make it into the news of western countries.

I do not see any trolling, just think you are quite misinformed.

dudeist skydiver # 3105