brenthutch

on Inauguration Day how much devastation will be wrought

Maybe someone who wasn't chosen by the majority of voters does need to "take back" the country. He has the voters who live more sparsely, but not the most people.

Gerrymandering so that fewer and fewer actual voters determine both state and national elections isn't a good long-term plan.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Maybe someone who wasn't chosen by the majority of voters does need to "take back" the country. He has the voters who live more sparsely, but not the most people.

Gerrymandering so that fewer and fewer actual voters determine both state and national elections isn't a good long-term plan.

Wendy P.

How does gerrymandering impact national elections? One cannot gerrymander California red anymore than one could gerrymander Utah blue. Congressional district yes, national elections no. BTW the Congressional Black Caucus is perhaps the most egregious gerrymander er.

Gerrymandering impacts state elections for congressional positions that impact the nation.

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

brenthutch

That is true, however it would have had no impact on the outcome of the presidential election.

It does, however, have a YUGE effect on House and Senate, which are the obstructionists or enablers depending on the year and a person's persuasion.

Considering that's a branch of government which approves or denies the wishes of a second filling a third . . . it's not to be lightly dismissed.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***That is true, however it would have had no impact on the outcome of the presidential election.

It does, however, have a YUGE effect on House and Senate, which are the obstructionists or enablers depending on the year and a person's persuasion.

Considering that's a branch of government which approves or denies the wishes of a second filling a third . . . it's not to be lightly dismissed.

Except for the inconvenient truth that senate races are statewide and are not subject to gerrymandering shanaganians....you should have learned that in eighth grade civics.

brenthutch

******That is true, however it would have had no impact on the outcome of the presidential election.

Except for the inconvenient truth that senate races are statewide and are not subject to gerrymandering shanaganians....you were talking about YUGE?

I'm going to say yes and no. I realize yours is the popular and commonly given answer, but I think it's too simplistic for reality.

Let's take a state with some gerrymandered districts which have several issues going on. I think it's entirely possible that the belief of certain issues passing or not passing in those districts encourage and discourage certain people from showing up at polls because they automatically assume the district will vote a certain way.

We saw this sort of stupidity in the recent election season with a LOT of people in California assuming California would automatically go D and therefore felt like they could "vote their conscience" for either an L or G party Presidential candidate. The same thing happened in Texas only substitute R for D.

Going a bit farther back, remember when California voted to deny gays the right to marry? Who would have ever thought that possible? And yet . . . there it went.
quade -

brenthutch

The anti gay prop only passed because of the African American vote. It sorta makes my point with regard to gerrymandering. Your biggest strength is your biggest weakness.

Well, I think you're wrong about which demographic pushed it over the top, but that's for another day.
quade -

I think every US Administration has had, at best, tenuous relationships with the Press. In my lifetime, LBJ & Nixon come to mind as eventually developing a particular hostility.

But I don't recall ever seeing such angry and aggressive rancor that was displayed by Mr. Trump while speaking at the CIA or in the words read by his official press secretary at the White House.

How many battles does your countries new Administration really want to fight?

aphid

I think every US Administration has had, at best, tenuous relationships with the Press. In my lifetime, LBJ & Nixon come to mind as eventually developing a particular hostility.

But I don't recall ever seeing such angry and aggressive rancor that was displayed by Mr. Trump while speaking at the CIA or in the words read by his official press secretary at the White House.

How many battles does your countries new Administration really want to fight?

Well, as long as he spends his time fighting over the petty stuff, he will have less time to fuck up important things.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"Jonathan Pie" (aka Tom Walker), on the inauguration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMwjaZouNY
(For those not familiar with him, he does these routines as an off-camera discussion with his unseen producer)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

>How many battles does your countries new Administration really want to fight?

Lots of them! They especially like fighting celebrities. Kellyanne Conway just spent 5 minutes of an interview going after Madonna.

"Kellyanne Conway on Sunday said President Donald Trump will not release his tax returns."
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/315530-conway-trump-isnt-going-to-release-tax-returns

Well according to trump this is one battle over.

"Please stand, allot of respect" and not "lock her up"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tq4VZlNJeY

So the "lock her up" battle is over.

ryoder

Well, as long as he spends his time fighting over the petty stuff, he will have less time to fuck up important things.:|

It's not petty, it's setting the tone for a complete subversion of the press.

If he keeps lying and complaining about the press treating him poorly, eventually a lot of people are going to start believing him because it simply sinks into their brains through weight of repetition. Then, when the press reports on something serious and important that he doesn't like, he'll just claim that they're lying again and people will believe him, because that's what they've come to expect.

So really, no matter if it seems petty, if he wants to flat out lie about the small stuff right now, the press need to call him out on it, and make sure that a prominent part of their overage is making it absolutely clear that the President and his office are absolutely, clear cut, intentionally lying.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Perhaps we should scale back the criticism of trump a bit. After all he is "connected".

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-2016-mob-organized-crime-213910

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardbehar/2016/10/03/donald-trump-and-the-felon-inside-his-business-dealings-with-a-mob-connected-hustler/#60d1c5791e02

Thats why the CIA employees laughed at his jokes. If trump or his friends come asking we might have to throw quade under the bus.

Phil1111

Thats why the CIA employees laughed at his jokes.

Mmmm... There is at least one other explanation floating around. I wasn't there. I haven't seen video. However, the story is that Trump brought a staff of yes men with him to chuckle and cheer at appropriate points so regardless if the CIA remained stoic, the microphones would still hear his intentions.
quade -