gowlerk

Cops kill another scary looking unarmed black man

skycop

Ah, you don't know that. And neither do I.

Ok, let me rephrase that;

I can say, with a high degree of certainty, the same could go for a large white guy, in this situation, not following commands in the same manner.

I stand corrected, I'll never say never.

I've been involved in numerous types of these situations, I can say race was not a factor. In one case the guy ended up dying (not from a gun shot). He was white, and it sucked just as bad to be there. No one wins in these.

***Tulsa is known to be a place with a poor relationship between the black community and the police force.

What was that you were saying about hyperbole?

Things may be much better where you work.

No, not really.
When things go sideways it sucks for everyone, luckily it doesn't happen as much as the some groups and the media would like you to believe.
The false narratives have already started on this, along with selective editing.
As I stated his hands were not raised after he reached the side of the truck. But the media is showing him walking away with his hands raised, there is no still shot of him at the side of the truck that I've seen.

Manslaughter charges on the Tulsa cop: http://www.newson6.com/story/33160895/press-conference-held-at-tulsa-county-courthouse
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I feel badly for the cop, but it was her incompetence that got this guy killed. If she had kept her finger off the trigger, flinching when the taser popped wouldn't have resulted in a fatal discharge.

Lethal force, if casually applied, has dire consequences.

Even a righteous shoot is bad juju, and this was far from a righteous shoot.

BSBD,

Winsor

RonD1120

Intelligent people learn to express emotions in a socially acceptable manner not justify their emotion with statistics.

I'm not so sure I agree. I cannot express my anger in a way that would ever be socially acceptable to liberals. I simple study their methods and turn it against them - it's child's play, and apparently very effective.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***Intelligent people learn to express emotions in a socially acceptable manner not justify their emotion with statistics.

I'm not so sure I agree. I cannot express my anger in a way that would ever be socially acceptable to liberals. I simple study their methods and turn it against them - it's child's play, and apparently very effective.

What Ron means is that what he feels to be true is more important than what is actually true.

It's called "truthiness" and is a characteristic of Trump supporters.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Coreeece

***Intelligent people learn to express emotions in a socially acceptable manner not justify their emotion with statistics.

I believe that is socially acceptable. It is to me.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

******Intelligent people learn to express emotions in a socially acceptable manner not justify their emotion with statistics.

What Ron means is that what he feels to be true is more important than what is actually true.

You are confusing feelings (emotion) with beliefs. That is a common mistake for non-professionals. Feelings, beliefs and fantasy, three important factors in counseling.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Statistics is a mathematical process to lie and manipulate.

Only TV SciFi characters make decisions solely on statistics. SC is an emotional forum and a place for venting. The bottom line is that people decide based on how they feel. . . .

Intelligent people learn to express emotions in a socially acceptable manner not justify their emotion with statistics.

So intelligent people justify themselves with emotion, while unintelligent people justify their positions with facts and figures?

An interesting take on intelligence. Be thankful the airplane you fly on, the grid whose power you use and the bridges you drive over were built by engineers using statistical analysis, and not by counselors expressing their emotion through their designs.

That seems to be a typical perspective from the whites with racism in their hearts.
I hear it from a LOT of friends and coworkers.
Except at work in mixed company.

"If they would just behave and obey the law!"
[:/]

Thankfully we have a pretty open discussion about most topics with the group of engineers of all colors and nationalities. It's really interesting to hear from a mixed group.

I see no reason why a counselor would seek to build a bridge or design a power grid. By the same token, I see no reason why an engineer would seek to counsel a mental health or substance use disorder client.

In SC nothing is designed or settled. Only emotions are expressed. I try to be honest about mine. Others try to hide behind supposed facts.

headoverheels

***I see no reason why a counselor would seek to build a bridge or design a power grid. By the same token, I see no reason why an engineer would seek to counsel a mental health or substance use disorder client.

Then I suppose you feel the same way about nonscientists and climate change.

IMO, global warming/climate change is a phantom issue and I do not waste any significant mental energy thinking about it. Typing this response is the most time I've spent on the subject in the last, or I don't know, maybe, 6 or 7 years.

>I see no reason why a counselor would seek to build a bridge or design a power grid.

Agreed.

When you are talking about how to counsel an emotionally disturbed teen, then making some decisions based on emotion makes sense.

When you are trying to set public policy, or figure out which course of action is safer (for society, or to achieve a goal, or even in skydiving) then making decisions based on facts and statistical analysis makes more sense.

billvon

>I see no reason why a counselor would seek to build a bridge or design a power grid.

Agreed.

When you are talking about how to counsel an emotionally disturbed teen, then making some decisions based on emotion makes sense.

When you are trying to set public policy, or figure out which course of action is safer (for society, or to achieve a goal, or even in skydiving) then making decisions based on facts and statistical analysis makes more sense.

Agreed.

Yet they tackle this guy.
After a 100mph chase that lasted over an hour.
After he challenges the cops and the K-9.
After he gets out of the car with a weapon in his hands.
After he brandishes it at them.
After he threatens them.

They send the fat cop over to fall on him.

#whiteprivilege again.

Over the police radio the weapon was first described as a bat, then as a machete, then a sword.....it was a windshield wiper.
I think this pic is about where a black dude would have been shot.

RonD1120

You are confusing feelings (emotion) with beliefs. That is a common mistake for non-professionals. Feelings, beliefs and fantasy, three important factors in counseling.

Except we're not in counselling, we're in a political discussion forum - and you are no more a professional politician than anyone else here. Feelings maybe important in counselling, but the purpose of counselling is not to figure out how the world works, or who would be better at running a country.

So nice try at the bait and switch, but no cigar for you.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kallend

Like your truthiness when it comes to gun control, legalized prostitution and where the Bible got the ten commandments?

I didn't take you as a Trump supporter.

An interesting take on gun violence in Chicago:

www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/28/i-never-worry-ill-be-shot-in-chicago-after-all-im-white/?utm_term=.51187f4d688a&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

And it agrees with the experience I posted about last year, on the South Side where I live.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

An interesting take on gun violence in Chicago:

www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/28/i-never-worry-ill-be-shot-in-chicago-after-all-im-white/?utm_term=.51187f4d688a&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

And it agrees with the experience I posted about last year, on the South Side where I live.

His thesis is that anything sort of being killed is ok.

"Obviously, whites are not immune to all crime. There was an outbreak of “gooning,” random beatings of pedestrians by youth mobs. One of my neighbors moved after he was strong-armed for his laptop. But those incidents fall far short of shootings, so they’re not going to make the news in a city with two murders a day."

We have that flawed mentality in San Francisco - that "quality of life" crimes don't matter to the victims.

kallend

What a load of bullshit. I think it's cute that you guys are trying to make it out to look like you're from the hood. (snicker)

He's talking about Howard St. in Roger's Park on the north side that has about 3 homicides per year, but then posts a picture of 73rd St on the south side - probably from Englewood that has about 80 murders per year - what a joke.

The majority of crime on Howard St. is property crime against that colorful marketplace of dollar stores, chicken shacks, West Indian restaurants, Arab-owned groceries and hip-hop sneaker shops that he was talking about.

The murder he was referring to was the one where a gang member shot into a convenience store at 3 other gang members, killing one and wounding the others. What if McClelland was in that convenience store at that same time? Do you really think a stray bullet would give a shit about his "white privilege"

...but what if it isn't even gang related? What if it is just a desperate drug addict looking for his next jumbo? Do you think he's more likely to victimize a black kid in a hoodie with nothing more than a pack of skittles, or McClelland walking the streets at 1am with his geeky glasses and fancy watch?

The fact is, is that there are a hell of a lot more blacks and Hispanics walking around the dangerous parts of Chicago that don't get shot, so his entire premise is just dumb - and those that buy his bullshit are equally dumb, if not dumber.

I'm ashamed that he's a fellow MSU Alumnus.

kallend

Ya, you live on the south side, but in Beverly, where the median income is 90k a year. It's one one the safest places in Chicago, and in the top 5 neighborhoods with the highest quality of life - you shouldn't be ashamed of that, nor should you be surprised that you encounter less crime then those in Garfield.

Beverly is a relatively integrated neighborhood, it's similar to Hyde Park that is even more integrated - but everyone gets along. You don't have trouble with cops, nor do you have a problem with blacks killing each other over there. Do you think the black families in those areas let their children roam the streets of Chicago at 3am? Do you think there is a "violence inequality" issue in those areas as well? (whatever the fuck that means?:S)

Now you may say, "hey, you just wait a minute there buddy - I've worked in Douglas for 30+ plus years, I'm practically an OG!" Ya, but the block or two that you've walked from 31st down State St. doesn't really have any crime, regardless of race - so you're not that special. Your white skin isn't a "force field," it isn't "bulletproof." Your "white privilege" doesn't mean shit in the face of someone looking for their next fix.

If there is anything good that can come from this article, it's that it has shown me how isolated the violence really is - and that the vast majority of the country is just as safe as anywhere else in the cilvilised world, if not safer. We have contained the problem - now we have to attack it.

...but we don't attack it by forcing these poor black people to buy 5000 dollar safes - that will just give us an excuse to put more blacks behind bars that simply feel the need to protect themselves. It will only leave more children fatherless and exacerbate the problem.

All we have to do is look to the black families in neighborhoods like Beverly and Hyde Park - they are educated. They have jobs. They don't let their children walk the streets at 3am - 'nuff said.