wmw999

Things we're looking forward to in this US election cycle

BIGUN

What excuse will he attempt to use and how will he somehow manage to continue to say he's the the best and a winner regardless?

[paraphrase] I didn't lose; I won for the American people!! My campaign brought to light some important issues that now have to be addressed by the politico's in Washington. That's the art of being a great negotiator - to win even when people think you lost. We won.. All of America won because I ran. [/paraphrase]

How'd I do? ;)

Too coherent!

The essence is there, just run it through google translate to Finnish and back again, repeat a few key phrases 5 times for no apparent reason then get a 12 year old with ADD to read it and you'll be getting pretty close!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>He's already getting his excuses in early...

Yep.

=======

Hank Berrien
August 1, 2016
Daily Wire

Donald Trump, who simply cannot fathom losing, is already preparing a narrative in case he loses in November to Hillary Clinton, bewailing that the system is “rigged.”

Speaking on Monday in Ohio, Trump started his lament by claiming the Democrats had rigged their primary system in favor of Hillary Clinton, then blustered that the Republican nomination would have been stolen from him if he had not won “by such tremendous margins.”

That set up his explanation for a possible failure in November, as he suggested foul play, complaining, “I’m afraid the election is going to be rigged. I have to be honest.”

Trump’s camp has been publicly preparing an excuse for a possible loss; Trump adviser Roger Stone said in an interview that voter fraud is "widespread" and said if Hillary Clinton wins a state like Florida after polls show Trump in the lead, the election would be "illegitimate." He huffed, "If there’s voter fraud, this election will be illegitimate, the election of the winner will be illegitimate, we will have a constitutional crisis, widespread civil disobedience, and the government will no longer be the government.” Stone threatened violence, asserting there would be a "bloodbath" if the Democrats tried to "steal" the election:

He needs to say for example, today would be a perfect example: “I am leading in Florida. The polls all show it. If I lose Florida, we will know that there’s voter fraud. If there’s voter fraud, this election will be illegitimate, the election of the winner will be illegitimate, we will have a constitutional crisis, widespread civil disobedience, and the government will no longer be the government.” If you can’t have an honest election, nothing else counts. I think he’s gotta put them on notice that their inauguration will be a rhetorical, and when I mean civil disobedience, not violence, but it will be a bloodbath. The government will be shut down if they attempt to steal this and swear Hillary in. No, we will not stand for it. We will not stand for it.

Trump routinely cries that the system is “rigged”; he whined that the delegate system in the primaries was "rigged" when Ted Cruz shut him out in Colorado, and whined that the GOP convention would be "rigged" as far back as April.

It is likely that Trump’s complaint about the general election being rigged was triggered by polls after the Democratic convention, which showed Hillary Clinton getting a significant post-convention bump that helped her surge into the lead.

>Seems like it's time for the republican party to die.

The last thing we need is a single party.

The republican party needs to get its head out of its ass and start shedding the baggage of bigotry, sensationalism and fear-based leadership that it's picked up over the years. Its core values (smaller government, less regulation, moving power from federal to local governments, support of the family unit, support of capitalism) aren't defective or inherently flawed. It's all the other crap they've picked up along the way.

Imagine a republican party that has jettisoned all the Trumps, Cruz's and Carsons, and that supports gay rights and women's rights as strongly as they support gun rights. One that supports families not by attacking families they don't like, but by passing bills to support early education and prenatal care programs. One that reduces regulation not by attacking the EPA as the spawn of Satan but by sponsoring and developing technologies that reduce and/or remove the need for regulation to begin with. One that doesn't expand its tent in the direction of the bigots, but rather in all directions.

The best possible outcome of this Trump fiasco would be a decisive loss and a decision by the GOP to reform the party closer to the ideals of the party of Lincoln.

I can't understand why the sane members of the GOP don't either:
a) Find a way to dump Drumpf, and reclaim their party
b) Abandon the GOP to Drumpf, organize into a new party, and appoint a candidate.

But instead we have the Vichy Republicans, who even have their own web page now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_Republican
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Robert,

Find a way to dump Drumpf, and reclaim their party

I was talking with a stalwart GOP'er yesterday & we discussed this. Neither of us knew if this was possible. I know zilch about such things; but, one thinks that there must be some way to give him the exit boot.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

Find a way to dump Drumpf, and reclaim their party

I was talking with a stalwart GOP'er yesterday & we discussed this. Neither of us knew if this was possible. I know zilch about such things; but, one thinks that there must be some way to give him the exit boot.

That day passed 2 weeks ago, on a "voice vote." If they had changed the rules to let delegates drop their committed first vote, then maybe it could have occurred, but without an obvious and willing alternative, still would likely have resulted in the Trump nomination.

Now - I don't see any way it can happen unless he agrees to withdraw. He could litigate, and probably successfully.

Or dies. I don't think Pence would take in place in either scenario. And I certainly don't see Trump pulling out now.

>Now - I don't see any way it can happen unless he agrees to withdraw. He could litigate, and probably
>successfully. Or dies. I don't think Pence would take in place in either scenario. And I certainly don't
>see Trump pulling out now.

The "last chance" for the GOP might be the electors. They are not legally bound to place their votes for a specific candidate, and if the GOP made it clear that they considered (say) Kasich as a valid option for an elector who could not, in good conscience, vote for Trump - that might allow a change in direction for them.

Can eligible voters write-in candidates for specific positions in your national electoral procedure and are they counted as legitimate ballots?

In other words, could voters write in (examples chosen only for the sake of my question);

President: Mike Pence
Vice President: Jon Huntington

(ETA - maybe I should go re-educate myself on how your electoral college works?)

billvon

>
The "last chance" for the GOP might be the electors. They are not legally bound to place their votes for a specific candidate...

There may be no Federal or Constitutional binding, but state laws affect many, as do party pledges.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/electors.html#selection

>Can eligible voters write-in candidates for specific positions in your national electoral procedure and
>are they counted as legitimate ballots?

43 states allow write-ins. Of those, 35 require that the write-in candidate file paperwork before they are considered legitimate candidates. The remaining 8 allow you to vote for anyone at all who is eligible under the US Constitution.

In almost all states (48) the entire state has to be won for the electors for that candidate to be selected.

billvon

>Can eligible voters write-in candidates for specific positions in your national electoral procedure and
>are they counted as legitimate ballots?

43 states allow write-ins. Of those, 35 require that the write-in candidate file paperwork before they are considered legitimate candidates. The remaining 8 allow you to vote for anyone at all who is eligible under the US Constitution.

In almost all states (48) the entire state has to be won for the electors for that candidate to be selected.

Thank you for the quick response. I presume the deadline(s) for an eligible write-in candidate has passed?

John

billvon

The best possible outcome of this Trump fiasco would be a decisive loss and a decision by the GOP to reform the party closer to the ideals of the party of Lincoln.

The same thing was supposed to happened when Obama was re-elected.

Its just too hard to teach a old dog new tricks. er I guess its too hard to get rid of special interest groups

kallend

***>I never said anything about a single party.

Well, we have two now, so killing one off will result in one.

Elitist math.

Don't you mean maths?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.