billvon

FBI investigates Russia-Trump connection

Now the FBI is getting involved.
===========
FBI Suspects Russia Hacked DNC; U.S. Officials Say It Was to Elect Donald Trump

Shane Harris
Nancy Youssef
7/25/16 10:51 AM ET

Did the Russian government hack the DNC to bring down Hillary Clinton? That’s the view that’s quickly emerging inside American intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

The FBI suspects that Russian government hackers breached the networks of the Democratic National Committee and stole emails that were posted to the anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks on Friday. It’s an operation that several U.S. officials now suspect was a deliberate attempt to influence the presidential election in favor of Donald Trump, according to five individuals familiar with the investigation of the breach.

The theory that Moscow orchestrated the leaks to help Trump—who has repeatedly praised Russian President Vladimir Putin and practically called for the end of NATO—is fast gaining currency within the Obama administration because of the timing of the leaks and Trump’s own connections to the Russian government, the sources said on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing and developing quickly.

. . .

Current and former U.S. officials drew analogies to so-called active measures campaigns, or state-sponsored operations designed for political effects.

“The release of emails just as the Democratic National Convention is getting underway this week has the hallmarks of a Russian active measures campaign,” David Shedd, a former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told The Daily Beast. Shedd said that additional leaks were likely, echoing an opinion expressed by U.S. officials and experts who said that the release of emails on Friday may just be an opening salvo.

Officials also noted Trump’s own connections to the Russian government. Putin has publicly praised the nominee, who said he was “honored” by the compliment. Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, was a consultant for Viktor Yanukovych, the former president of Ukraine who was ousted for his pro-Moscow orientation (and now lives in Russia). One of Trump’s top national security advisers, retired Army Gen. Michael Flynn, sat with Putin at a dinner celebrating the 10th anniversary of Kremlin-backed media network RT and was paid to give a speech at the event; Flynn later retweeted an anti-Semitic message that called into question any Kremlin-Trump link. Another Trump adviser, Carter Page, recently denounced America’s “often-hypocritical focus on democratization” while in Moscow. And last week, Trump said that he might not come to the aid of U.S. NATO allies in the face of Russian aggression unless they paid what he thinks they owe for Europe’s common defense.

Officials also thought it was telling that the emails were given to WikiLeaks, which is perceived as being hostile to the U.S. government. “This wasn’t surprising to us,” said one U.S. official familiar with the investigation.

An FBI spokesperson said in a statement Monday that the bureau was investigating the breach but declined to comment on whether political motivation was part of the inquiry. “A compromise of this nature is something we take very seriously, and the FBI will continue to investigate and hold accountable those who pose a threat in cyberspace,” the spokesperson said.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/25/fbi-suspects-russia-hacked-dnc-u-s-officials-say-it-was-to-elect-donald-trump.html?via=mobile&source=twitter

It all makes sense now.

1 - The Russians purposely did NOT hack Hillary's private server. This was intentional to fool people into thinking they were complacent.

2 - Now, when it counts, they hack the DNC's servers and uncover (well, pretty much the kind of crap we expect from both parties - unless one is a partisan sycophant. Mainly, truth that the parties consider the populace to be lesser beings that can be fooled into voting for someone for whatever they're pretending to be selling. I'm also certain that hacking the RNC would find nearly identical correspondence)

3 - All of this in order to put a wild card unknown with out of control overreaction tendencies into the white house. because they think a republican in the white house would respond less vigorously to a Russian attack on Europe than a democrat.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ah, Trump; The Manchurian Candidate.:|

I'd really like to hear the details of what makes them think they know who was behind it.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DJL

If it's found that Putin is behind this will he then be fired and given a position on Trump's campaign?

you made me laugh.......again (you're on a roll this week)

(It's amazing how the two parties just seem to merge into one ugly mass of sameness lately)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ryoder

Ah, Trump; The Manchurian Candidate.:|

I'd really like to hear the details of what makes them think they know who was behind it.

I find it odd that we tend to believe (probably rightly so) the NSA has a data tap on pretty much everything going into or out of the US, yet when it comes to things like this people question "how they think they know" something.

Come on. I'm reasonably certain the NSA and company know how to do this sort of thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

3 - All of this in order to put a wild card unknown with out of control overreaction tendencies into the white house. because they think a republican in the white house would respond less vigorously to a Russian attack on Europe than a democrat.

Unless Trump isn't really a wild card for them....

quade

***Ah, Trump; The Manchurian Candidate.:|

I find it odd that we tend to believe (probably rightly so) the NSA has a data tap on pretty much everything going into or out of the US, yet when it comes to things like this people question "how they think they know" something.

Come on. I'm reasonably certain the NSA and company know how to do this sort of thing.

Well, in the past the 3-letter agencies have been loathe to share info with each other, and I would not expect them to be making public statements based on data obtained by surveillance.

And now we have ThreatConnect claiming to have ID'd the source of the leak: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/26/dnc-hacker-unmasked-he-really-works-for-russia-researchers-say.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

> because they think a republican in the white house would respond less vigorously
>to a Russian attack on Europe than a democrat.

Well, no. They think Trump would respond less aggressively to a Russian attack on another country. They might be forgiven for thinking this, since he has said he would not necessarily support NATO allies who were attacked by Russia.

========
Trump’s NATO Skepticism Raises Alarm for Allies Near Russia

July 20, 2016 — 10:44 PM PDT
Bloomberg

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump sent alarm rippling through Eastern Europe after he said the U.S. would only defend NATO states attacked by Russia if those nations “have fulfilled their obligations to us,” his strongest comments to date on the military alliance’s future if he enters the White House.

In an interview with the New York Times on Wednesday, the billionaire cast doubt on whether he would automatically extend the security guarantees that give the 28 members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization the assurance that they have U.S. military support in the event of an attack. He specifically referred to the three small Baltic states which share borders with Russia.
==========
Trump says US may not automatically defend Nato allies under attack

Justin McCurry
Guardian

Thursday 21 July 2016 04.33 EDT

Donald Trump has suggested that under his leadership America would not necessarily come to the aid of a Nato ally under attack, saying he would first consider how much they have contributed to the alliance.
===========

Which candidate do you think the Russians would prefer:

A) Inexperienced businessman who wants to dismantle NATO, proposes pulling US troops off of forward deployed positions, has repeatedly complimented the Russian dictator, and who has significant personal financial interest in Russia.

B) Highly experienced diplomat with a hawkish, pro-Europe reputation who wants to expand US international influence, understands Putin is our adversary, and doesn't have any personal stake in the Russian economy.

- Dan G

DanG

Which candidate do you think the Russians would prefer:

A) Inexperienced businessman who wants to dismantle NATO, proposes pulling US troops off of forward deployed positions, has repeatedly complimented the Russian dictator, and who has significant personal financial interest in Russia.

B) Highly experienced diplomat with a hawkish, pro-Europe reputation who wants to expand US international influence, understands Putin is our adversary, and doesn't have any personal stake in the Russian economy.

Frankly, I suspect, like us, they are watching the DNC and the RNC with a surprised and disgusted look on their face, and just looking at each other and saying "well, we don't have to worry about the US any more" or "crap, no matter what, these guys will be completely bat shit crazy and we can't predict anything they'll do in the future" or "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

I'd wonder if there is any real benefit to them to release any e-mails instead of just keeping any 'real' intelligence secret to themselves.

Frankly, I suspect, like us, they are watching the DNC and the RNC with a surprised and disgusted look on their face, and just looking at each other and saying "well, we don't have to worry about the US any more" or "crap, no matter what, these guys will be completely bat shit crazy and we can't predict anything they'll do in the future" or "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

I suspect you are wrong.

I'd wonder if there is any real benefit to them to release any e-mails instead of just keeping any 'real' intelligence secret to themselves.

There is a real benefit to them to get Trump elected.

SkyDekker

I suspect you are wrong.

not about the disgusted look

I also suspect they think Ivanka is hot, and Michelle 'seems nice'

Frankly I think they are a lot like us, and are making judgments about which candidate would be better for them in the long run, just as we do. (And, in this case, then act on those judgments.) They're not really much like Boris Badenov, popular stereotypes aside. (Although international politics would be a lot more fun if they were. As long as you're not a moose, that is.)

Bullwinkle: I'd like to apply for a job as an usher?
Boris: What experience have you had?
Bullwinkle: I've been in the dark for most of my life.

Boris: it's good to be back in a college town
Natasha: you went to Penn State?
Boris: no State Pen

billvon

Frankly I think they are a lot like us, and are making judgments about which candidate would be better for them in the long run, just as we do. (And, in this case, then act on those judgments.) They're not really much like Boris Badenov, popular stereotypes aside. (Although international politics would be a lot more fun if they were. As long as you're not a moose, that is.)

How in the BLUE FUCK are we in a world where Russians and Pinko-Commie-Hating Republicans are the better bed fellows?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

How in the BLUE FUCK are we in a world where Russians and Pinko-Commie-Hating Republicans are the better bed fellows?

Because it's not them we're talking about.

It's Putin and Trump.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the traditional conservatives have done everything but leave the party this go 'round.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

headoverheels

It's a win for them. Trump gets impeached and removed, leaving Pence as POTUS.

I wonder if being picked Vice President is really an honor or an insult.
The last few elections it seems like the VP is intended to serve as strong incentive to not assassinate the president.

Well, no. They think Trump would respond less aggressively to a Russian attack on another country. They might be forgiven for thinking this, since he has said he would not necessarily support NATO allies who were attacked by Russia.

So, when it comes to politics you expect people to take you seriously with these kinds of posts? I always thought you were just yanking chains and playing word games.
We are all engines of karma

Trump is an isolationist. Of course Putin likes him. The Chinese like him too. Kim Il-sung is a fan as well. On the other hand they all don't like Clinton for some reason.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.