normiss

Is America finally ready to talk about guns?

mirage62

Other countries have thugs and cops too. Yet the US is the outlier by far in gun deaths per capita among 1st world nations.

Basically I agree more training, make it EASY to take someone's guns but a blanket deal making a lot harder for me to get a gun is backwards.

You want to really lower gun deaths - legalize drugs.

Agreed. Meth and PCP are great combinations with firearms.

PCP would be a little strange but fortunately you don't hear about it anymore.

Amphetamines worked pretty well during the Vietnam War. Just say'n.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

gowlerk

***I love the juxtaposition here. . .

But neither of the attributed quotes are accurate.

Paraphrased - and accurate in spirit, if not semantics.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Is America finally ready to talk about guns?

Where the hell you been?
It's been an ongoing conversation for several decades now.
As much as you and I like skydiving, it is important to get off the DZ every now and then and find out what is going on in the rest of the world.

However, the real implied "tint and tone" of your "rhetorical question" REALLY is...wait for it..."Is America finally ready to talk about gun control?" There FIFY.

My answer...The FBI and the ATF are already aware of the firearms I own. Beyond that, that's all they need to know so with all due respect...not HELL NO but FUCK NO! I hope I've left no ambiguity there for you!

turtlespeed

******I love the juxtaposition here. . .

But neither of the attributed quotes are accurate.

Paraphrased - and accurate in spirit, if not semantics.

IOW, FALSE.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As a Brit with no dog in this hunt, can I ask a question? What was the original wording in the US Constitution that required an amendment and why, if the founding fathers saw fit to make an amendment is it so hard for modern day Americans to make changes to the same document?

Give this one a read.
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/billofrightsintro.html

rifleman

As a Brit with no dog in this hunt, can I ask a question? What was the original wording in the US Constitution that required an amendment and why, if the founding fathers saw fit to make an amendment is it so hard for modern day Americans to make changes to the same document?

The first 10 Amendments are called "The Bill of Rights" and are copied in large part (but with some differences) from the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

Ok you got me, I'll be more specific about what drugs should be legalized when YOUR more specific about what gun law's from other country would work here.:S
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

Ok you got me, I'll be more specific about what drugs should be legalized when YOUR more specific about what gun law's from other country would work here.:S

Within 30 to 40 years, really none of them. Too many weapons already in circulation. Quite frankly your founding fathers fucked up royally and have helped create one of the more violent societies in the developed world.

If you want to possibly make things better in a few decades you would have to repeal the 2nd Amendment etc. Don't think that will ever happen. There are no realistic and effective short term solutions.

Hooknswoop

There are no realistic and effective short term solutions.

Derek V

I wish the era would get it right. . .

It was a Sig MCX - not even an AR15:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah our founding fathers were such dumb asses. Jeez I expected better from you for some reason. Our "fucked upping founding fathers" also put in tools that could change the second amendment. BTW reading up on how your country has handles guns it sure seems that ya'll can't totally make up your minds.

mirage62

Yeah our founding fathers were such dumb asses. Jeez I expected better from you for some reason. Our "fucked upping founding fathers" also put in tools that could change the second amendment. BTW reading up on how your country has handles guns it sure seems that ya'll can't totally make up your minds.

That's right. We try different things instead of stubbornly maintaining we got it right the first time.

And your founding fathers did fuck up on the 2nd amendment. It is the main reason your country is as incredibly violent as it is. Theoretically there is indeed a way to change the constitution. Realistically Jesus Christ will appear again before the 2nd Amendment is changed.

turtlespeed

There are no realistic and effective short term solutions.

Derek V

I wish the era would get it right. . .

It was a Sig MCX - not even an AR15:S

www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/06/14/the-gun-the-orlando-shooter-used-was-not-an-ar-15-that-doesnt-change-much/

And your founding fathers did fuck up on the 2nd amendment. It is the main reason your country is as incredibly violent as it is.

Ok big guy - let's hear you great thoughts on just HOW the founding fathers fucked up given the time that they wrote the 2 amendment. I'm serious, given the intent - tell me what they should have done different.

Theoretically there is indeed a way to change the constitution. Realistically Jesus Christ will appear again before the 2nd Amendment is changed.

Horse shit. The constitution has been changed and can be changed - you know that. It's the far RIGHT A-N-D far LEFT that is fucking the whole process up. Middle ground is impossible and it doesn't having much of shit to do with the second amendment. Common sense control - somewhat like Canada has COULD pass in America but the left wants "no guns" and the right wants "machine guns"

FWIW although you and I come from different directions on things I generally find your post to be enlightening. But bashing the founding fathers is just dumb (IMO) they wrote a great constitution - they put in mechanism for change. How could they have done better?

And your founding fathers did fuck up on the 2nd amendment. It is the main reason your country is as incredibly violent as it is.

There are two glaring errors in this statement. Firstly, the 2nd amendment was not really a mistake. The mistake was been made later in history by the courts interpreting it. It's never good to insult the Holy Founding Fathers of America. They are completely without flaws, and possibly immaculately conceived. Along with Betsy Ross. Don't go there.

Secondly. America is far from incredibly violent. I've been there lots, and it is mostly very peaceful and law abiding. And I would even say friendly, even in the urban places full of the sort of people that Ron and his ilk fear. It's just the very high number of firearms that make it appear so violent. The problem is that too many people will use their guns in anger when they feel offended, or by accident as in five year olds shooting family members.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

mirage62

It's never good to insult the Holy Founding Fathers of America. They are completely without flaws, and possibly immaculately conceived.

ROTGLOL :ph34r::ph34r::)

It's not just you. Most Americans will strongly react to criticism of both the founding fathers, and the documents if it is not done in a careful way that shows respect. It's a big part of the culture.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Please oh please don't quit coming around here -- your thoughts, politeness, and light touch would be sorely missed. I mean that.

As far as the Sacred Founding Fathers (:P), they did a really great job with limited examples. A good example of what a committee can achieve :). That said, it's about as silly to take what they said without considering the context of era into account as it is to take the Bible literally without taking the context of era into account. E.g. We don't legally do slaves in the Western world any more, but they're referenced in both the constitution and the Bible. The first has an orderly amendment process; the second, not so much

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The first has an orderly amendment process; the second, not so much

So true!!!!

A good example of what a committee can achieve

You know I hadn't thought of that! It is a great example of what political leaders could do - if they were pulling for America instead of a party. (both sides)