kallend

"Drill, baby, drill"

I have such a strange stance on oil and gas. Well, not really, it makes sense. My degree is in environmental science, but I've worked as an accountant for an oil and gas company in Denver the last 3 years.

I love paying super low prices at the pump, but man I wish we were still at ~$90 a bbls. Now it seems crazy to ask for anything over $40.

brenthutch

So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

Are you saying oil is an inexhaustible item on this planet? Or simply scoffing that, yeah it exists, it's just way too f'in' expensive (currently) in some forms to be profitable?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

JohnnyMarko

***So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

No shit. We've had so many wells that are part of a proven pad just shut in because prices are such shit. Some of them were around ~25K bbls a month and the companies said fuck it and shut them in.

Was the ban on petroleum exports ever lifted, or is it still in force?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

No shit. We've had so many wells that are part of a proven pad just shut in because prices are such shit. Some of them were around ~25K bbls a month and the companies said fuck it and shut them in.

Great question. I work for a non-op (we just haves leases in the Bakken) so once our products leave the refinery, I have no idea what happens.

quade

***So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

Are you saying oil is an inexhaustible item on this planet? Or simply scoffing that, yeah it exists, it's just way too f'in' expensive (currently) in some forms to be profitable?

Yes, the world's supply of oil is practically inexhaustible.

quade

And all they did was screw up the environment for thousands of square miles for centuries to come.

Totally worth it.

:D:D:D

You are a great comedian

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

brenthutch

So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

And of course the now famous........

"we will never see $2 gas again"
Abraham Lincoln

ryoder

Lifted I believe
Abraham Lincoln

ryoder

did you say 'ban on petroleum experts'?

one can hope

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

brenthutch

Emphasis mine.

I notice you added a qualifier to the statement. That turns the statement from a statement of objective and absolute fact into a statement of highly subjective opinion.
quade -

quade

*********So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

Emphasis mine.

I notice you added a qualifier to the statement. That turns the statement from a statement of objective and absolute fact into a statement of highly subjective opinion.

In the same way the energy from the sun is practically inexhaustible.

quade

*********So much for "peak oil" LMAO!

Emphasis mine.

That is a "weasel" word. A very well known technique in the marketing world.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

In every way!

Except, of course, orders and orders of magnitude.

Humans could set a goal today of burning every drop of oil that can possibly be squeezed out of the earth and at some time within a century or two they would realize that goal.

It would take an estimated 5 billion years to even come close to exhausting the Sun.
quade -

quade

***Yes, the world's supply of oil is practically inexhaustible.

Emphasis mine.

Practically = within our lifetime. Aka fuck the future.

Thinking anything is too big to fail (i.e. be exhausted) has never been a good bet. Everything is finite in this universe. The game is resource allocation.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

quade

In every way!

Humans could set a goal today of burning every drop of oil that can possibly be squeezed out of the earth and at some time within a century or two they would realize that goal.

It would take an estimated 5 billion years to even come close to exhausting the Sun.

It's more fundamental than magnitude, which you illustrated perfectly with your post. We don't consume "sun reserves" by harnessing its energy. The same cannot be said about oil. It's almost like the phrase "renewable energy" actually means something.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>In the same way the energy from the sun is practically inexhaustible.

That would be literally inexhaustible by humans. We do not "use up" the sun by harvesting power from it - nor will we be here as a race by the time it ceases to be available.

>I hope that you do mind my slight editing of your post.

You may be right. By that time we may be extinct as a species. But I think there's a good chance that by that time only the part left on Earth (Homo Sapiens Terra?) will be gone. Of course the rest of what would then be humanity might be a different species as well by that point.

quade

In every way!

And by that time we will smoothly and seamlessly transition to other, more economically feasible energy sources. No need for bunched panties and clutched pearls.

>And by that time we will smoothly and seamlessly transition to other, more
>economically feasible energy sources.

Which, fortunately, we are doing now. It won't be as smooth or seamless as any other major transition, but it will happen.

billvon

>And by that time we will smoothly and seamlessly transition to other, more
>economically feasible energy sources.

Which, fortunately, we are doing now. It won't be as smooth or seamless as any other major transition, but it will happen.

Not really. The development of alternative energy sources is currently being driven by ideology not by economics, thus the need for subsidies.