quade

Tim Cook vs the FBI

Stumpy

***I don't know what to say other than the obvious. Firefox is not Android.

Try Google Chrome.

Same result. (I pretty much exclusively use Google Chrome - I only downloaded Firefox to check that it applied to other Android browsers as well.)

ETA - and actually, that screenshot IS chrome. FF is just up in the notification bar because I had just downloaded it.

Chrome is the stock browser on Android, not surprisingly.
Yes, the screenshot is obviously Chrome. :)
A quick search shows that iCloud blocks the Chrome mobile user agent string. This is a conscious choice on Apple's part, so it's a feature, not a bug. Regardless, it is a broken implementation of a cloud, even if the breakage is intentional. Using the Chrome desktop user agent string ("request desktop site" in settings) will allow you to get through from what I am reading. Which is an even weirder arbitrary choice on Apple's part, to block mobile Chrome but not desktop. Other Android browsers allow you even more control over UA string (and when rooted you can mutate your Chrome UA string also), so you could actually request a mobile iCloud site and get it, on Android.

tl;dr Apple wants to make the Android user experience super annoying for you. Which is kind of the opposite of Google's philosophy, see also this. But now we're getting off-topic. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

kallend

I believe there's more to it than that. iCloud kept putting "you need to buy more memory" and "enter your iCloud password" pop-ups on my iPad Mini that I use for navigation in my plane. The only way I could stop it doing that at inopportune moments was to disable it completely.

The service I am willing to pay $$ for is Google Drive. ;)

Yeah, it's sad when features, not bugs, are what move you away from a platform. See also my previous post.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***Please note the wording of this;
https://www.nsa.gov/ia/programs/suiteb_cryptography/

I think one can safely assume it has been cracked by the NSA.

Which wording specifically? And if the NSA has cracked our strongest encryption, why does this topic exist? :)
Lacking clarification, I will assume you meant the part about developing new quantum-resistant encryption algorithms. To which I will respond with a reminder that quantum computers are still in the theoretical realm. Nobody knows if or when we will be able to implement them physically at a practical scale.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

FBI fesses up that it was responsible for changing iCloud password:

“Since the iPhone 5C was locked when investigators seized it during the lawful search on December 3rd, a logical next step was to obtain access to iCloud backups for the phone in order to obtain evidence related to the investigation in the days following the attack,” the statement reads. “The FBI worked with San Bernardino County to reset the iCloud password on December 6th, as the county owned the account and was able to reset the password in order to provide immediate access to the iCloud backup data.”

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/22/fbi_says_it_helped_mess_up_ithati_iphone_the_one_it_wants_apple_to_crack/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BTW, I have not found all this in one article, but from assorted sources I have read that:

- The shooters had 2 burner phones which they smashed and threw in a dumpster from which the FBI recovered them.

- The woman had a phone on her, but there was very little on it.

- The county-owned iPhone was found at their home in a search.

- They rented an SUV to drive the day of the attack.

Now if they had the foresight to use (and destroy) burner phones *and* rent a vehicle for the attack, I question the idea they would have used an employer-owned phone for anything related to the attack.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

We've known that the San Bernardino changed the password at the request of the FBI for a while now.

I am still confused why they cannot access everything if they could change the password? They needed the old password and have the new password, since they changed it.

Why do they need Apple to break into the phone?

Derek V

Hooknswoop

We've known that the San Bernardino changed the password at the request of the FBI for a while now.

I am still confused why they cannot access everything if they could change the password? They needed the old password and have the new password, since they changed it.

I'll try this again - if I miss something I'm sure Jakee will point it out.

There are two different passwords, one used to unlock the iphone and one to access the icloud server.

Changing the icloud server password only gave them access to the backed-up data on the server. Unfortunately the phone hadn't been backed-up in the 6 months prior to the attack, therefore the FBI believes there is 6 months of new data on the phone that never made it to the icloud server - and- never will, so they have to get it from the phone itself.

Nobody has the password to the iphone to unlock it, and nobody can change it like they did with the icloud server password, so they need Apple to create a backdoor.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Hooknswoop

Don't you need the phone password to get into the phone to change the iCloud password?

Derek V

No, icloud is it's own independent service. You use your appleID and password to access it from any computer or device.

This whole situation has a familiar bad smell to it. An EXTREMELY unusual set of circumstances. A couple that traveled across the world to a strange land to work in an assisted living workplace only to turn around and shoot innocent, handicapped folks. Witnesses claimed they saw 3 heavily protected men, not some Arab clad small woman and a man. These people were gunned down and conveniently cannot say their side of the story. They left behind 2 small children. Now almost 3 months later, 1 of many alphabet criminal organizations from the government suddenly wants to subpoena a Corporation to give what can only be seen as unlimited access to ANYONE'S private info for who whatever reasons they wish. Let's say Apple folds, they get this done for "National Security" reasons, what possible info on this phone could there be? Anyone/thing they may discover will be long gone and whatever plans may have been on there will be abandoned. Sure smells like another government attempt to weaken the 4th amendment by digging up something from the late 1800"s.

JerryBaumchen

... However, let us say that you make bras for women. In a national emergency ( admittedly a rare situation ) you might be required to build parachutes. Why? Because it is a national emergency.

I once saw a parachute made by the Hightstown Rug Company Parachute Division, Hightstown New Jersey. You can find a small amount of info about them with a search engine.

I wouldn't get into all that conspiracy theory nonsense, but I do think the feds are just being opportunistic. I'm sure they're more interested in the ability to access millions of iphones than they are in the 6 months of data that may or may not be on this phone.

peek

***... However, let us say that you make bras for women. In a national emergency ( admittedly a rare situation ) you might be required to build parachutes. Why? Because it is a national emergency.

I once saw a parachute made by the Hightstown Rug Company Parachute Division, Hightstown New Jersey. You can find a small amount of info about them with a search engine.

When John Nicolaides was doing the Parafoil research project at Notre Dame Univ, the prototypes were being built by Dutron Tent Company.

Hooknswoop

Derek V

Which bit of the previous explanation was confusing for you? I'm not being facetious, that's a genuine question.

Again though - the FBI has the password for the iCloud account - that is a service where information is stored for the customer on an Apple server. Not all of the information that is on the iPhone is on the iCloud account. There is information that is physically located on the iPhone and nowhere else.

The iCloud password that the FBI has is not the same as the iPhone password, and possession of the iCloud password does not mean that they ever had access to the iPhone itself. So in short...

Because they do not have, nor did they ever have, the iPhone password or access to information stored on the iPhone.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

JerryBaumchen

Fortunately, laws don't work that way (most of the time).

This is a complex issue with implications I really don't think most people have a grasp on.

On one side you have some of the brightest people on the planet, people with lifetimes in cryptography, saying this would be disastrous and on the other side you have some people who know absolutely zero about the issue wound up in the emotion of somehow providing closure to a (let's be honest) minor terrorist threat.

People with a national voice, even one particular idiot who wants to be President of the US saying things like, "who does Apple think they are?"

I just shake my head.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

This is a complex issue with implications I really don't think most people have a grasp on.

On one side you have some of the brightest people on the planet, people with lifetimes in cryptography, saying this would be disastrous and on the other side you have some people who know absolutely zero about the issue wound up in the emotion of somehow providing closure to a (let's be honest) minor terrorist threat.

I can agree with the general sentiment of your post, but what would be the anticipated death toll of such a "disaster?"