quade

Tim Cook vs the FBI

Hi Bolas,

Of course, nothing is stopping them from just providing the wrong password enough times to wipe it.

That would put them in contempt of court. I doubt that they want to go in that direction.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I once had a sherrif's deputy take a court-ordered garnishment to a credit union to get the funds from someone who owed me money. The clerk at the credit union called the account owner who told her not to give the money to the deputy. The clerk called me and told me what she had been told. I told her that she had a choice: 1) Hand over the money, or 2) Be in contempt of court; I told her to ask the deputy what his thoughts were. I got my money.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bolas,

Of course, nothing is stopping them from just providing the wrong password enough times to wipe it.

That would put them in contempt of court. I doubt that they want to go in that direction.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I once had a sherrif's deputy take a court-ordered garnishment to a credit union to get the funds from someone who owed me money. The clerk at the credit union called the account owner who told her not to give the money to the deputy. The clerk called me and told me what she had been told. I told her that she had a choice: 1) Hand over the money, or 2) Be in contempt of court; I told her to ask the deputy what his thoughts were. I got my money.

Could be charged with contempt of court. Whether they are actually in contempt of court is up to a judge, not the Sherriff or any of his deputies.

SkyDekker

***Hi Bolas,

Jerry Baumchen

Could be charged with contempt of court. Whether they are actually in contempt of court is up to a judge, not the Sherriff or any of his deputies.

If it was proven they intentionally gave the wrong password.

Depending on what they're being charged with, a contempt charge may be a much lighter sentence. ;)

But getting back to the original point: if the court can just order someone to provide access/password to a device, why do they need the back door in those other cases?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

SkyDekker

But getting back to the original point: if the court can just order someone to provide access/password to a device, why do they need the back door in those other cases?

Courts can't. Should be covered under the 5th amendment.

Then requiring a back door should be covered as well.

The original issue is that the phone supplied to the shooter with his employment used his personal ID, not one the company provided and apparently they also had no control software loaded on their device either to manage it and/or view the contents.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

quade

And another story from today...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35673999

Huh - and aren't these the people that have our healthcare in their hands?

Good thing they are rock solid and secure. Like that awesome website they have for enrollment?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

From your article:
"The well-planned strike, which blacked out more than 225,000 people"

We had minor hiccup in Ohio that caused a blackout for 55 million people in the northeast - we will rebuild - try again. . .
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

turtlespeed

***And another story from today...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35673999

Huh - and aren't these the people that have our healthcare in their hands?

Good thing they are rock solid and secure. Like that awesome website they have for enrollment?

What, like these people?

Looks like you can't trust anyone in healthcare. Probably best to just give up, close all the hospitals and go home.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Crap. 7 minutes too late.

It's a good ruling IMHO.

It doesn't directly apply to the S.B. shooting case, but it certainly helps (the feds are trying to apply the "All Writs Act" but are also going further).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This is reported to be the shooter's work phone, provided by his employer. The work one probably had nothing of interest on it anyway, but made a great excuse to try to set precedent. He had two personal phones and a laptop that he destroyed.

https://theintercept.com/2016/02/26/farooks-iphone-is-probably-useless-even-the-police-say-so/

ryoder

WTF is up with Issa's attitude toward NPR during this interview? Does he REALLY think NPR is against civil rights and strong encryption or is he just so used to being pissed off at NPR he can't let that go?

He's saying the right things about encryption, but holy crap is he being a dick to the interviewer who is just doing his job.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***but holy crap is he being a dick to the interviewer who is just doing his job.

maybe he's been surfing around Speaker's Corner and just thinks that's how people are now

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

WTF is up with Issa's attitude toward NPR during this interview? Does he REALLY think NPR is against civil rights and strong encryption or is he just so used to being pissed off at NPR he can't let that go?

He's saying the right things about encryption, but holy crap is he being a dick to the interviewer who is just doing his job.

Agreed, but I just loved hearing him say: "The government LIES!!!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

I thought exactly the same thing when I heard it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.