mirage62

Obama's "Non-executive order" was just grand standing?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Darius,

My points is that an armed public keeps us all safe from government overreach something we all should want.

Anyone who thinks the weaponery that they have at home will stop the federal gov't. probably does not understand the word capacity.

If any LEO's want to come into your house, they will do it.

It really goes beyond all that - and I feel sorry for anyone that lacks the capacity to understand it.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

In every gorilla warfare situation that this countries military has encountered in the last several wars, we've very nearly handily had our ass handed to us. You guys seriously think the country could stomach anything but door to door tactics if STHF? Really think the ex-military folks, who for the most part are gun owners, wouldn't come out of the woodwork in support of gun owners? I love the red herring argument that "oh you think your pea shooter is gonna go up against bombs and stuff?" This immediately leads me to the question of "do you really think the guys being told to bomb their fellow countrymen would do it?", "How many anti-gunners would stay anti-gunners once they see their friends and families being taken down by their own countries military (which by the way is also against federal law)?". Most importantly I really question if the people throwing out this argument actually secretly would enjoy, encourage, and take pleasure in this scenario, because usually they say if with somewhat of a smirk on their face.

I love the red herring argument that "oh you think your pea shooter is gonna go up against bombs and stuff?" This immediately leads me to the question of "do you really think the guys being told to bomb their fellow countrymen would do it?", "How many anti-gunners would stay anti-gunners once they see their friends and families being taken down by their own countries military (which by the way is also against federal law)?".

Right, which is why I said the only thing stopping government overreach is the fact that most people in the government, including but not limited to the police and military, believe in the rule of law.

Your gun isn't keeping the government in check. The good people who compose the government are doing that all by themselves.

- Dan G

This immediately leads me to the question of "do you really think the guys being told to bomb their fellow countrymen would do it?",

Yes. Look how many already support banning every Muslim American from entering the country. Clearly those who are here, or still try to enter are terrorists and should be dealt with.

American soldiers or LEO shooting American citizens has happened before and I am sure will happen again.

I thought gun control was impossible to enact in the US. I have since rethought that. I think gun control will be partially implemented as soon as mosques start holding gun fairs, open only to Muslims to protect themselves against radical American Christians hell bent on a crusade against Islam. Donald Trump will be the first one to support the gun control.

I do agree.....if you take a look at our recent history in Iraq and Afghanistan you have to agree that people with NOTHING compared to what we have thrown at them have done a pretty good job of fighting.

I understand that these fighters have weapons that the average American doesn't have (and I'm glad they don't) but with what they do have and the soldiers that would bring what they have..... we have the makings of a good little war.

It won't come to that because in the end we will give up our guns.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

It won't come to that because the Constitution guarantees your right to own a gun, and no one in power is actually trying to take it away.

- Dan G

mirage62

...I understand that these fighters have weapons that the average American doesn't have (and I'm glad they don't) but with what they do have and the soldiers that would bring what they have..... we have the makings of a good little war...

Like what?

Honest question, not being snarky.

Civilians don't (generally) have select-fire or full auto, but in the real world that has somewhat limited use.

No large, crew served stuff (large machine guns or mortars) either. But the guerillas generally don't either, except for the stuff they capture.

One of the most effective tools the guerillas use is the IED. Roadside explosive devices. And the "I" in it stands for "Improvised."

Building those, even from basic materials is pretty simple. Dangerous as all hell, but simple. Keep in mind that it was a very large IED that was used in Oklahoma City in 93.

Edit to add:

One thing that American civilians have in large numbers that the guerillas often don't is accurate, long range rifles. Good quality, large caliber, excellent optics. The capability (both gun and shooter) to reach out several hundred yards. Especially in the western part of the country.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DanG

..... The good people who compose the government.....

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!!!!!!

(Breath...... Breath.....)

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!!!!!!
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

DanG

It won't come to that because the Constitution guarantees your right to own a gun, and no one in power is actually trying to take it away.

Yes, you can own a gun.*

(* That gun must not be bigger than .177 caliber, must be a muzzle loaded single shot, cannot contain any cosmetic feature that makes it look "evil" or offensive, and cannot fire a projectile faster than you can throw it.... for your safety.....)
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Yes, you can own a gun.*

(* That gun must not be bigger than .177 caliber, must be a muzzle loaded single shot, cannot contain any cosmetic feature that makes it look "evil" or offensive, and cannot fire a projectile faster than you can throw it.... for your safety.....)

Which has been proposed by nobody in any position of authority. Nice fear tactic, though. The gun manufacturers thank you.

- Dan G

DanG

Yes, you can own a gun.*

Which has been proposed by nobody in any position of authority. Nice fear tactic, though. The gun manufacturers thank you.

Pistols cannon be larger than 50 caliber.

Shoulder fired rifles must have a barrel longer than 16"
Smooth bore weapons (shotguns) must have a barrel longer than 18"

From 94 to 04, flash hiders (but not muzzle brakes), bayonet lugs and pistol grips were illegal on new rifles. Magazines over 10 rounds were illegal to manufacture for civilian use (but not cops).

His answer is a bit hyperbolic. But the basic concept is valid.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SkyDekker

Concept isn't valid. None of the regulations you listed made guns non-lethal or even less-lethal.

Then why did the government enact the law that regulated them if those accessories do not make the rifle any more lethal??

DanG

Yes, you can own a gun.*

Please explain that to the millions victims of the Connecticut "Assault" weapons or New York "SAFE" act that are now felons with the passing of crappy gun regulations in the middle of the night. Mind you, more people are killed by claw hammers than "Assault" rifles, but it gives people a warm fuzzy while they watch puppy videos....

DanG

Dude, you work for the government. Are you not a good person?

No I'm not a good person, however, I don't write rules and am only let off my chain outside the continental US....:ph34r:

cvfd1399

Concept isn't valid. None of the regulations you listed made guns non-lethal or even less-lethal.

Then why did the government enact the law that regulated them if those accessories do not make the rifle any more lethal??

No idea.....but that doesn't change anything.

Please explain that to the millions victims of the Connecticut "Assault" weapons or New York "SAFE" act that are now felons with the passing of crappy gun regulations in the middle of the night. Mind you, more people are killed by claw hammers than "Assault" rifles, but it gives people a warm fuzzy while they watch puppy videos....

I disagree with those laws, but they are not the same as limiting firearms to muskets that throw bullets no faster than you can throw them yourself.

I understand you were trying to use hyperbole, but overuse of hyperbole just makes you look like a radical.

- Dan G

No I'm not a good person, however, I don't write rules and am only let off my chain outside the continental US....

So you're one of those soldiers who would follow orders to confiscate all citizens' guns?

- Dan G

DanG

No I'm not a good person, however, I don't write rules and am only let off my chain outside the continental US....

So you're one of those soldiers who would follow orders to confiscate all citizens' guns?

You can be a real asshole and still do what's right. Sometimes to do what's right it helps to be a real asshole...:ph34r:

You can be a real asshole and still do what's right. Sometimes to do what's right it helps to be a real asshole...

Exactly why the government is never going to take all our guns. The goverment is made of people, and most people, like you, know confiscating guns is against the Constitution. Evil Obama can make all the proclaimations he wants. He needs the rest of the government, mainly the police and military, to execute them.

As long as most people in the government still believe in the rule of law, our guns are safe.

That's why the government is kept in check, not becase private citizens are armed, but because citizens who get a paycheck from the government are essentially no different from those who get their paycheck elsewhere.

- Dan G