rushmc

For those of you who like to keep track of politcal liars

Remember When Obama Promised No Vacations?

"You don't make that decision unless you are prepared to make that sacrifice, that tradeoff, that bargain.”

In the short video clip above that features then-Senator Barack Obama discussing his ghost-written book The Audacity of Hope with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert in 2008, the future president was talking about how those who "seek that office" of the presidency need to "be prepared to give their life to it”:

“Essentially the bargain that any president strikes with the American people is, you give me this office and in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure is gone. I am giving myself to you, and the American people should have no patience for whatever's going through your head, because you've got a job to do... You don't make that decision unless you are prepared to make that sacrifice, that tradeoff, that bargain.”

Obama declared that his family members are included in that commitment.

"Can you imagine yourself, at some point, making that kind of commitment?" Herbert asks.

"Sure," Obama replies, to a round of applause from the audience.

Two presidential terms later, the First Family has racked up anywhere from $70 million (according to Judicial Watch) to $100 million (National Report) in vacation expenses, charged to the American taxpayers, over the course of "38 holidays, working vacations, and fun trips like a date night in New York" according to the Washington Examiner's calculations. "They are on par to take at least 45 holidays before leaving office," the Examiner reports:

CBS White House Reporter Mark Knoller, the unofficial presidential record keeper, calculates that the president has taken 22 vacation trips spanning all or part of 160 days.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/remember-when-obama-promised-no-vacations
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

He never promised no vacations. Even in your quote, he didn't say that the President should never take a vaction. He just said that personal needs should take a backseat to the requirements of the job.

Sheesh.

I understand that you feel the need to parrot the right wing talking point of the day, but sometimes they are a real stretch.

- Dan G

22 vacation trips spanning all or part of 160 days.

Normal in your world I guess:S
Abraham Lincoln

>Bush’s total for his two terms in office is 533 days, which includes 490 at the ranch and the rest at Kennebunkport. For comparison’s sake, President Bill Clinton’s total is 174 days, and Reagan hit 390 (349 at his ranch and 41 in Palm Springs), according to Knoller.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/08/presidential-vacations/

You defended Bush's vacation record.

What the fuck does it matter that he takes some time off with his family? Do you really think it is real "down time" when you are the president. His (and every prior/future presidents) schedule is not his own.

You worry about some odd shit.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

What the fuck does it matter that he takes some time off with his family? Do you really think it is real "down time" when you are the president. His (and every prior/future presidents) schedule is not his own.

You worry about some odd shit.

It was a big damned deal when Bush did it
And most of the time he just went to his own home
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

It was a big damned deal when Bush did it

Bush took approx. 3x more time off. You defended Bush on that issue. Why is it an issue when Obama takes significantly less time off?

You really should work on your logic.

If you would care to take a real look, this not about how many vacations either president took or takes
It is about what Obama said
Abraham Lincoln

If you would care to take a real look, this not about how many vacations either president took or takes

Obviously not, because when I pointed out that he never promised not to take a vacation, you replied with his number of vacation days.

Face it, you just hadn't had an Obama bash all day, so you parroted this lame shit.

- Dan G

DanG

Obviously not, because when I pointed out that he never promised not to take a vacation, you replied with his number of vacation days.

Face it, you just hadn't had an Obama bash all day, so you parroted this lame shit.

It is about what he said
And threads like this bring the all you Obama supporters out like flies to a turd:D:D

you just gotta lay your eggs
You cant help yourselves
:D
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Actually he said what a president SHOULD do. So he is absolutely going against his own belief in what a president should be and do. He is going against what he admitted that the sacrifices for a proper president should be in his opinion.

Why isn't he holding to his own values?

Here's the video.

I just picked the firsts one without any commercials
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DanG

Whatever. This is such a stupid tempest in a teapot I can't believe I bothered responding.

Haters gonna hate.

Huh. So if Trump said that a president should give his all to the country and vacations, fears, insecurities and the like should be given up for the country, you wouldn't call him on it for saying that spans blatantly doing the opposite.

Suuuuuuure.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DanG

Whatever. This is such a stupid tempest in a teapot I can't believe I bothered responding.

Haters gonna hate.

Tell us that you at least admit that he said those things.

It is about what he said

Well he said:
"...you give me this office and in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure is gone."

I'm pretty sure he has slept a night or two in the last 7 years. Why aren't you complaining about that?

People with an ounce of sense realize that a presidential vacation is not much like what any of us would count as a vacation. They still get the daily national security briefings. They still have to attend to all the business of the office, they just do it from a different location. It's not like they can just leave a "I'm out of the office and I'll be back in two weeks" message on the phone, nor can they just put the VP in charge and disappear to hike the Appalachian Trail. That was true for Bush as much as it is true for Obama or any president. If you weren't so mired in your ODS you'd realize just how petty you sound.

Don

I'll admit he said what was quoted above.

He never promised not to take a vacation. I read his statement as meaning that your personal issues take a backseat to the needs of the country. In other words, if taking a vacation would be adverse to the needs of the country (i.e. during a crisis) then you shouldn't take a vacation. I don't think he ever said that a President should never leave his desk.

- Dan G

DanG

I'll admit he said what was quoted above.

He never promised not to take a vacation. I read his statement as meaning that your personal issues take a backseat to the needs of the country. In other words, if taking a vacation would be adverse to the needs of the country (i.e. during a crisis) then you shouldn't take a vacation. I don't think he ever said that a President should never leave his desk.

Yeah, well in that way, I'll admit that he does less harm to the country while he is out of office. . . So, I'm on the fence.

rushmc

You think that's crazy? At my company we get 25 days off a year after being here a while, and that's not uncommon for tech companies around here. That's 175 days over 7 years. So he's taking less than people around here get.

Trips? Years I am on a team, or going after a bigway, I take ~10 vacation trips a year (long weekends mainly.) So I'd be at 70 trips after 7 years.

Try again. Perhaps try how he drinks wine like an effete French guy.

GeorgiaDon

People with an ounce of sense...
Don

Well, there's your problem.

Deliberately misquoting, deliberately misunderstanding, having different standards for different people.

Common sense, like common courtesy simply isn't all that common.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SkyDekker

>Bush’s total for his two terms in office is 533 days, which includes 490 at the ranch and the rest at Kennebunkport. For comparison’s sake, President Bill Clinton’s total is 174 days, and Reagan hit 390 (349 at his ranch and 41 in Palm Springs), according to Knoller.

How many of those 490 days did he host and meet with other world leaders, and take care of business as normal but remotely? He did go there but many of those days it was "work from the ranch days", not all idle days roping cows.

cvfd1399

***>Bush’s total for his two terms in office is 533 days, which includes 490 at the ranch and the rest at Kennebunkport. For comparison’s sake, President Bill Clinton’s total is 174 days, and Reagan hit 390 (349 at his ranch and 41 in Palm Springs), according to Knoller.

How many of those 490 days did he host and meet with other world leaders, and take care of business as normal but remotely? He did go there but many of those days it was "work from the ranch days", not all idle days roping cows.

I am sure Bush accomplished much more on his vacation days than Obama does on his. Because, Obama.

turtlespeed

Huh. So if Trump said that a president should give his all to the country and vacations, fears, insecurities and the like should be given up for the country, you wouldn't call him on it for saying that spans blatantly doing the opposite.

Suuuuuuure.

Honestly, since that probably wouldn't rank in the top 50 stupid things Donald Trump says on any given day I doubt anyone would even notice, let alone care.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

cvfd1399

But when Obama goes on holiday he spends all his time lounging around in hipster cafes discussing Marx with bearded intellectuals.

I see your point.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***How many of those 490 days did he host and meet with other world leaders, and take care of business as normal but remotely? He did go there but many of those days it was "work from the ranch days", not all idle days roping cows.

But when Obama goes on holiday he spends all his time lounging around in hipster cafes discussing Marx with bearded intellectuals.

I see your point.

I doubt it with your eyes all sparkly with unwavering love for the man.

billvon

You think that's crazy? At my company we get 25 days off a year after being here a while, and that's not uncommon for tech companies around here. That's 175 days over 7 years. So he's taking less than people around here get.

Trips? Years I am on a team, or going after a bigway, I take ~10 vacation trips a year (long weekends mainly.) So I'd be at 70 trips after 7 years.

Try again. Perhaps try how he drinks wine like an effete French guy.

You should reflect on the number of days a College Professor receives in time off and consider a career change. Best half years I ever worked. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.