brenthutch

Why it is no laughing matter

We live in a vast, but not infinite, terrarium. It requires balance to continue; not constant "growth."

For me; this has to be one of the most succinct and in your face comments I've read. Sums up years of blathering global warming arguments on here. Thanks.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

billvon

>Then what the heck have you been talking about for the past decade?

If you see some conflict between what I have been saying "for the past decade" vs what I said above - you likely haven't been reading what I have been posting.

So Teslas and solar panels can't save the planet?

brenthutch

***>Then what the heck have you been talking about for the past decade?

If you see some conflict between what I have been saying "for the past decade" vs what I said above - you likely haven't been reading what I have been posting.

So Teslas and solar panels can't save the planet?

They already have. We're in the clear.

billvon

>So Teslas and solar panels can't save the planet?

Alone? No. They are a very small part of the solution overall.

That said, they are eye openers.

For decades people said it was impossible to make electric cars cool and only for the likes of Ed Begley Jr.; the main stream would never buy such a thing . Tesla blows that notion out of the water.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***>So Teslas and solar panels can't save the planet?

Alone? No. They are a very small part of the solution overall.

That said, they are eye openers.

For decades people said it was impossible to make electric cars cool and only for the likes of Ed Begley Jr.; the main stream would never buy such a thing . Tesla blows that notion out of the water.

Tax subsidized toys for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeoise. Hardly a planet saver.

>Tax subsidized toys for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeoise.

From the perspective of most of the people on the planet, everything you own is a tax subsidized toy for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeois. Heck, skydiving is for rich pampered elites who don't have to work, from the point of view of someone working a field in China.

brenthutch

Tax subsidized toys for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeoise. Hardly a planet saver.

You've extolled the virtues of capitalism in previous posts. I agree with you on this.

You realize that bourgeoise [sic] is a derogatory term for a capitalist, right?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***Tax subsidized toys for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeoise. Hardly a planet saver.

You've extolled the virtues of capitalism in previous posts. I agree with you on this.

A bourgeoisie suckling from the teat of big government is a derogatory situation.

brenthutch

A bourgeoisie suckling from the teat of big government is a derogatory situation.

Got it. You have a problem with capitalists accepting government offered tax deductions. So I take it you opt out of tax deductions on your IRS returns?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

brenthutch

******Tax subsidized toys for Chardonnay quaffing bourgeoise. Hardly a planet saver.

Derogatory to whom?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The111

***A bourgeoisie suckling from the teat of big government is a derogatory situation.

Got it. You have a problem with capitalists accepting government offered tax deductions. So I take it you opt out of tax deductions on your IRS returns?

And pretty much all auto companies get tax breaks or subsidies.

So it seems like Brent has an irrational hatred of people who make money, drink wine and drive cars.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

******A bourgeoisie suckling from the teat of big government is a derogatory situation.

And pretty much all auto companies get tax breaks or subsidies.

So it seems like Brent has an irrational hatred of people who make money, drink wine and drive cars.

Picture of Brent (or is it Marc)?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Last week:

Record floods in Missouri.

Record tornado outbreak in the US south.

Record heat along US east coast.

Record sleet storm in US upper mid-west.

Lowest snow pack in Sierras in 500 years.

Record floods in northern UK, Germany, Czech Republic.

Arctic sea ice equals all-time record low for the week.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Last week:

Record floods in Missouri.

Record tornado outbreak in the US south.

Record heat along US east coast.

Record sleet storm in US upper mid-west.

Lowest snow pack in Sierras in 500 years.

Record floods in northern UK, Germany, Czech Republic.

Arctic sea ice equals all-time record low for the week.

These tragedies seem to coincide with the unprecedented use of renewables.

billvon

>But, even in the IPCC's own words, catastrophic global warming events won't
>start happening for another 100 years or so...

OK. So business as usual for 99 years and let your grandkids deal with it?

They will have flux capacitor technology by then, so it won't be a problem.

"Could the world order survive without growing?

Economics seems to be all about growth. Any company that does not show constant growth in profits and production gets hammered in the stock market. Growth in GDP is our basic measure of how well the economy is doing.

I'm a biologist, so I tend to think of things in biological terms. Nothing in the biological world can grow indefinitely. Populations will outstrip resources and starve, or become so dense that devastating epidemics become inevitable. Cancers are, by definition, cells that have lost the ability to regulate their replication, so they divide continuously to become tumors and eventually kill their host, which of course kills the cancer.

Do economists really believe the economy can continue to grow, the faster the better, forever? What market will absorb this ever-increasing productivity? Do they think the population of the planet can grow forever without limit? Or do they rather believe that there is no upper limit to how much individuals can consume, or afford?

Here's an economist's wet dream, and apparently brenthutch's as well: a planet populated with 100 billion people, each using a car once then throwing it away and buying another, each burning a ton of coal a day to power all the toys they don't have time to actually use.

The likelihood that economies can grow infinitely is about the same as the likelihood that a tumor can become infinitely large yet not kill its host. Eventually somebody is going to have to do some serious thinking about how to manage steady state, or even shrinking economies with a view to minimizing adverse impacts.

Don

>Economic development has a suppressive effect on population growth, and the
>use of carbon based fuels has a positive impact on economic development. You
>do the math.

And fire warms you, and your house is made of wood, and wood burns. By your "math" your best course when it's cold out is to burn down your house. Deal with any problems with your math tomorrow.