rushmc

Liberal Logic Does Not Jive With Reality, Agian!

Go figure. But! All is not lost! We all know that if the intent is good then there is no failure:D

MD Closes Ineffective Gun Casing Database

Yes, the newest technological advancement can be helpful for law enforcement, but it’s no savior. In fact, it can be a huge waste. In 2000, the State of Maryland started a database to collect bullet casings from every gun sold in the state. The thinking behind the program was that each gun makes a unique “fingerprint” when the bullet is fired. Maryland’s law enforcement wanted to create a database that could be used to solve crime. Now 15 years, $5 million and more than 300,000 bullet casings later, the state is closing the program after it hasn’t helped in solving a single case. Former Governor Parris Glendening, who originally pushed for the program, told The Baltimore Sun, “Obviously, I’m disappointed. It’s a little unfortunate, in that logic and common sense suggest that it would be a good crime-fighting tool.” But liberal logic didn’t jive with reality. Again. Maryland joined New York, which closed its program in 2012 for similar reasons. To paraphrase law professor Glenn Reynolds, gun control advocates don’t mind spending money on onerous gun regulations and the legal fees associated with prosecuting to the fullest extent any citizen who violates those regulations. In Maryland’s case, it also burned the money of its citizens who collected guns, as firing a vintage gun tarnishes its value.

http://patriotpost.us/posts/38839
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Go figure. But! All is not lost! We all know that if the intent is good then there is no failure:D

Yes, the newest technological advancement can be helpful for law enforcement, but it’s no savior. In fact, it can be a huge waste. In 2000, the State of Maryland started a database to collect bullet casings from every gun sold in the state. The thinking behind the program was that each gun makes a unique “fingerprint” when the bullet is fired. Maryland’s law enforcement wanted to create a database that could be used to solve crime. Now 15 years, $5 million and more than 300,000 bullet casings later, the state is closing the program after it hasn’t helped in solving a single case. Former Governor Parris Glendening, who originally pushed for the program, told The Baltimore Sun, “Obviously, I’m disappointed. It’s a little unfortunate, in that logic and common sense suggest that it would be a good crime-fighting tool.” But liberal logic didn’t jive with reality. Again. Maryland joined New York, which closed its program in 2012 for similar reasons. To paraphrase law professor Glenn Reynolds, gun control advocates don’t mind spending money on onerous gun regulations and the legal fees associated with prosecuting to the fullest extent any citizen who violates those regulations. In Maryland’s case, it also burned the money of its citizens who collected guns, as firing a vintage gun tarnishes its value.

:D:D
Well, hey, at least it didn't contribute to global warming.
Or offend anyone. Oh, yeah.:|

But it did save . . . Well, it didn't waste . . .

When do we get to say we told you so?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Go figure. But! All is not lost! We all know that if the intent is good then there is no failure:D

:D:D
Well, hey, at least it didn't contribute to global warming.
Or offend anyone. Oh, yeah.:|

But it did save . . . Well, it didn't waste . . .

When do we get to say we told you so?

I think we just did:)
Abraham Lincoln

we use ballistics to solve crimes almost every day I expect. Not sure how many conservatives voted for this, but there were some.

At least they tried something and failed. Are we for the every-gun-sale-background-check yet? That would probably be effective.

$5M....wow, I mean the Iraq war was $280M/day.... Presidential security is about $5M/day I heard.

I know I know - it's still taxpayer money, even if it is so small that it can hardly be measured. $5M over 15 years....hmmm, $936/day. I wonder what gun violence costs Maryland every day?

But sure, an overwhelming victory for the right.....:S

But sure, an overwhelming victory for the right....

Well, when you've had the run of losses they've had this year, coupled with the shit show with the republican presidential candidates, they gotta brag about something.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Yes, ballistic evidence is used regularly.

But this was a joke. 300,000 pieces of information. But no way to use it.

The only times it was used was when they already knew what gun to look for.
The idea that they would be able to take a fired case and match it up with one of those 300,000 was ludicrous.

DNA matches happen because the information is categorized. Fingerprints the same. An unknown is classified and given a categorical number. That is then used to pull up potential matches (that are classified and categorized using the same system).

That allows the authorities to easily search the database for matches to an unknown.

But there was no real categorization or classification of the marks on a spent case. Every attempt was an abject failure. Any request to match an unknown case against this database would generate so many potential matches that there was little to no chance of it being of any use.

And as far a "every-gun-sale-background-check", how many of the recent high profile shootings would that have stopped?

Oh, yeah. NONE. Cho, Holmes, Loughner, the one on TV in Virginia, the one at the college in Oregon, ect. All of the guns were sold by FFL dealers with full background checks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

tkhayes

we use ballistics to solve crimes almost every day I expect. Not sure how many conservatives voted for this, but there were some.

At least they tried something and failed. Are we for the every-gun-sale-background-check yet? That would probably be effective.

$5M....wow, I mean the Iraq war was $280M/day.... Presidential security is about $5M/day I heard.

I know I know - it's still taxpayer money, even if it is so small that it can hardly be measured. $5M over 15 years....hmmm, $936/day. I wonder what gun violence costs Maryland every day?

As stated above
With the left, the intent is what is important.
At least in this case they knew they had to cut the losses
There are a few other programs that could benefit from the same logic

Seems like something similar happened in Canada with a long gun registry. (or maybe it was more than that)
Abraham Lincoln

tkhayes

You know, I just read your post again
You do not care if it worked (it seems)

My fear is that you have the same logic with any other gun control schemes. Even though many who propose them admit they would have not stopped the crime that started the debate

You should be more able to understand the resistance to what is proposed just by these two examples
Abraham Lincoln

I would have very little problem with this except for one detail

NO RECORDS of the gun or who!

Can be done by issuing a permit to purchase

you have it
You can buy because the back ground check has already been done
No paper work required
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I would have very little problem with this except for one detail

NO RECORDS of the gun or who!

Can be done by issuing a permit to purchase

you have it
You can buy because the back ground check has already been done
No paper work required

I can usually make out what you are trying to say, but this one stumps me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

rehmwa

I think it's Jibe... but I might be wrong.....or in the wrong thread

I was thinking the same thing.

http://grammar.about.com/od/alightersideofwriting/a/Gibe-And-Jibe.htm
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

tkhayes

The Benghazi committee has spent nearly that much, just in order to reduce Hillary's poll numbers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It looks like the State tried something to help solve crimes. Both liberals and conservatives want to solve crimes, right? When they figured out it wasn't working, they stopped doing it. Somehow, to you, this turns into a whole "liberals don't think right" thing. Why do you think like this? Why do you feel this constant need to categorize everyone who doesn't share your views as a "liberal" who can't think properly? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Is it somehow comforting or reassuring to you to believe that everyone who disagrees with you is just a "liberal" who is out of touch with logical thinking and reality? I've met plenty of people at both ends of the political spectrum who were bright and had a firm grasp on reality. My disagreement with those folks further to the right than I am is just that -- disagreement. I don't believe that conservatives have lost their grip on reality. I don't get how you take this simple issue and blow it up into an attack on an entire group of people. Get a grip on yourself.

rushmc

In this case you are just guessing the intent based on your own prejudices.

We KNOW the intent of the Benghazi committee that's wasted $4Million - two GOP congressmen (one of them VERY senior) have told us exactly what its intent is.

kallend

We KNOW the intent of the Benghazi committee that's wasted $4Million - two GOP congressmen (one of them VERY senior) have told us exactly what its intent is.

Redirection???

Really?

Cant stay on topic?

Typical
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Redirection???

Really?

Cant stay on topic?

Typical

Logic not jibing with reality. Seems on topic to me.

kallend

Redirection???

Really?

Cant stay on topic?

Typical

Logic not jibing with reality. Seems on topic to me.

I am sure it does

To you
Abraham Lincoln

AndyBoyd

It looks like the State tried something to help solve crimes. Both liberals and conservatives want to solve crimes, right? When they figured out it wasn't working, they stopped doing it. Somehow, to you, this turns into a whole "liberals don't think right" thing. Why do you think like this? Why do you feel this constant need to categorize everyone who doesn't share your views as a "liberal" who can't think properly? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Is it somehow comforting or reassuring to you to believe that everyone who disagrees with you is just a "liberal" who is out of touch with logical thinking and reality? I've met plenty of people at both ends of the political spectrum who were bright and had a firm grasp on reality. My disagreement with those folks further to the right than I am is just that -- disagreement. I don't believe that conservatives have lost their grip on reality. I don't get how you take this simple issue and blow it up into an attack on an entire group of people. Get a grip on yourself.

Best post of the thread.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***It looks like the State tried something to help solve crimes. Both liberals and conservatives want to solve crimes, right? When they figured out it wasn't working, they stopped doing it. Somehow, to you, this turns into a whole "liberals don't think right" thing. Why do you think like this? Why do you feel this constant need to categorize everyone who doesn't share your views as a "liberal" who can't think properly? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Is it somehow comforting or reassuring to you to believe that everyone who disagrees with you is just a "liberal" who is out of touch with logical thinking and reality? I've met plenty of people at both ends of the political spectrum who were bright and had a firm grasp on reality. My disagreement with those folks further to the right than I am is just that -- disagreement. I don't believe that conservatives have lost their grip on reality. I don't get how you take this simple issue and blow it up into an attack on an entire group of people. Get a grip on yourself.

Best post of the thread.

That depends on your point of view.
Personally, I think this one is the best post of the thread.:)