Driver1

Another mass shooting...

RonD1120

The shooter could have just as easily been a misguided, angry, atheistic liberal Democrat unable to cope with personal responsibility. That is most common stereotype here in America.

Odd, then, that he described himself as a "conservative republican" in an online dating profile. [link]

So much for your "stereotype".

Don

I think my stereotype holds ground. This last miscreant had a learning disability. He may not have understood what conservative Republican means.

Lame Post of the Year award goes to RonD.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

The bottom line is that nut jobs are breeding everywhere in the world. These are the end times. This evil cannot be stopped and is only going to get worse. All anyone can do is secure themselves, their family and as much of their community as possible.

There have always been nut jobs. At one time they were said to be possessed by demons. At other times they were called "village idiots".

It's only recently that the nutjobs have been able to arm themselves with trivial ease with semi-automatic firearms.

yoink

This 'best' thing is idiotic.

There were parts about living in the UK that I miss and things I think they do right. There are also parts that I really didn't like.

That statement applies equally to living in the US.

Have you ever lived abroad for an extended period of time, Turtle?

Italy for 8 months in Napoli, and 6 months in Gaeta
2 weeks in Crete, and another three in Sicily.
Saudi Arabia for 9 months
Spain for 45 days or so
Turkey, Egypt, Germany, and southern Mexico all about 3 weeks each.
Northern Mexico, (Lower Chijuaja) after high school for about 4 months.
Lived in the island of Eluthra for about 6 months . . . But the Bahamas hardly count as abroad.
I would consider parts of Florida as traveling abroad though.:ph34r:

Why?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

yoink

I think my stereotype holds ground. This last miscreant had a learning disability. He may not have understood what conservative Republican means.

I don't understand.

Why does he have to 'be' anything.

For me it is profiling.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

turtlespeed

***This 'best' thing is idiotic.

There were parts about living in the UK that I miss and things I think they do right. There are also parts that I really didn't like.

Spain for 45 days or so
Lived in the island of Eluthra for about 6 months . . . But the Bahamas hardly count as abroad.

Why?

I agree with the Florida part. The last time I was in Immokalee, FL it looked like Mexico.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******This 'best' thing is idiotic.

Spain for 45 days or so

Why?

I agree with the Florida part. The last time I was in Immokalee, FL it looked like Mexico.

My meaning was for Haileah
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

*********It seems that concealed carry doesn't reduce crime after all, according to Texas A&M research:

www.hindawi.com/journals/jcrim/2015/803742/

I think nothing is going to reduce crime other than more focused policing in higher come areas. Your occupation listed on your profile suggest you are a somewhat intelligent person lol. You know that for every study proving CCW doesn't work, there is one proving it does. For every study showing gun control works, there is one proving it actually increases crime.

These aren't soccer moms and red necks arguing about guns. These are Harvard Law studies and UCLA Criminology studies and they all disprove each other constantly.

I subscribe to CCW magazine and every month I can cite to you all the incidents where a CCW saved lives without a single shot being fired and lead to the apprehension of the criminal. I can cite cases where cops have had their lives saves by armed citizens.

Based purely on statistics, some stats see a drop in crime after enacting CCW laws. Some see the opposite. I think it has less to do with the CCW and more to do with what is going on in that state. There are actually a very small number of people who go through all the trouble to get a CCW.

Perfect example of this is Illinois. With he violence in Chicago, Il finally lifted the ban on CCW after being forced into it. But, the state made the process extremely difficult, expensive, and time consuming. There was then a 12-18 processing period before your CCW was issued. So after the CCW was enacted, it was almost 2 years before the first citizens there began to obtain them. Meanwhile during that first year, come continued to rise, and this was cited as empirical proof that CCW does not work. Although in reality, there was no one with a CCW during that time period.

Simply untrue. This is not the first time in this thread that you have written stuff than simply isn't true (like claiming the Oregon gunman was under 21).

You need to do a better job of fact checking.

Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low. - Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/24/chicago-crime-rate-drops-as-concealed-carry-gun-pe/?page=all

Fred Hayes, chief of police in Elwood and president of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, said he was "pleasantly surprised" that the rollout has gone so quietly. Hayes previously opposed the law but said fears of increased shootings have "not materialized."

Arlington Heights Police Chief Gerald Mourning also said he had expected an adjustment period with the new law, but that problems have been virtually non-existent. "We have dealt with it so infrequently that we simply haven't had any difficulties. I am surprised by it. I thought for sure we would encounter issues on a more regular basis," Mourning said. "It has not been an issue for us at all in terms of confrontations or misunderstandings."

In Aurora, police Cmdr. Paul Nelson said officers routinely ask during traffic stops if a subject possesses a firearm. If so, the officer will then request to see the concealed-carry license to determine if the weapon is legal, and then ask the subject not to touch the weapon during the traffic stop. "When you look at it, we were the last of 50 states to implement this law. We act like this was some big new deal. In reality, everyone else had been doing it for many years, and there just haven't been any problems," Nelson said. "There was no reason for us to expect that it would be different in Illinois." - Chicago Tribune.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-concealed-carry-one-year-met-20150203-story.html

As expected for Obama's home town, comparisons with Chicago have already cropped up in this thread and in ignorant Facebook memes.

So here are just a few facts about Chicago for my fact-resistant friends.

1. Restrictions on gun ownership (there was never an outright ban) were eliminated in 2012.

2. There is NO FEE or permit required to own a gun in Chicago (since 2013).

3. Concealed Carry permits (CCW) have been available in Chicago since February 2014.

4. Murders are UP 21% in Chicago since 2014.

5. Despite that, Chicago still doesn't even make the top 100 list of most dangerous US cities. Many other cities have far higher violent crime rates than Chicago:

www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

and murder rates:

www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/

jbscout2002

Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low. - Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/24/chicago-crime-rate-drops-as-concealed-carry-gun-pe/?page=all

Washinton Times - about as reliable as the National Enquirer. Owned by the Moonies:

It was founded in 1982 by the founder of the Unification Church, Sun Myung Moon and was owned by News World Communications, an international media conglomerate associated with the church, until 2010 when it was purchased directly by a group led by Moon.

Anyhow, that information is over a year out of date. Murders and shootings are now UP.

In the first nine months of 2015, police said the number of murders increased 21 percent, the number of shooting incidents increased 19 percent and the number of shooting victims increased 14 percent, compared to the same time period in 2014.

Source: abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-police-to-announce-new-plan-to-curb-shootings/1011155/

www.chicagotribune.com/ct-charting-chicagos-summer-homicides-shootings-infographic-20150904-htmlstory.html

ALSO:

Elwood <> Chicago
Arlington Heights <> Chicago
Aurora <> Chicago

So any reference to those cities is totally irrelevant (as might be expected from the Moon paper).

kallend

As expected for Obama's home town, comparisons with Chicago have already cropped up in this thread and in ignorant Facebook memes.

1. Restrictions on gun ownership (there was never an outright ban) were eliminated in 2012.

3. Concealed Carry permits (CCW) have been available in Chicago since February 2014.

5. Despite that, Chicago still doesn't even make the top 100 list of most dangerous US cities. Many other cities have far higher violent crime rates than Chicago:

and murder rates:

The Los Angeles and Chicago metropolitan areas had the most gun murders among the nation’s fifty most-populous metropolitan areas in 2009 and 2010 (the latest years for which data is available), according to a report released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/la-chicago-rank-1-and-2-gun-murders-no-has-highest-rate

turtlespeed

*********This 'best' thing is idiotic.

Spain for 45 days or so

Why?

My meaning was for Haileah

Oh yeah, I figured they seceded long ago. I thought you needed a passport to travel to Key Largo.

jbscout2002

***As expected for Obama's home town, comparisons with Chicago have already cropped up in this thread and in ignorant Facebook memes.

and murder rates:

The Los Angeles and Chicago metropolitan areas had the most gun murders among the nation’s fifty most-populous metropolitan areas in 2009 and 2010 (the latest years for which data is available), according to a report released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/la-chicago-rank-1-and-2-gun-murders-no-has-highest-rate

Yes, and they are the 2nd and 3rd most populous cities in the country. So that statistic is basically meaningless.

The proper way to make comparisons is the way the FBI does it, per 100,000 residents.

Of course, YOU would consider a city of 1,000 where 200 are murdered to be safer than one of 2,000,000 where 201 are murdered.

Using your logic, Sudan, Iraq and Colombia are all safer than the USA (fewer total murders).

millertime24

***I don't understand how requiring a background check on all gun sales is unenforceable.

I have a GLOCK for sale. $500 it's all yours. You give me money I give you gun. Nobody else involved. That's how it's unenforceable.How about, purchaser was ineligible to purchase a gun, they are caught with the gun and cut a plea for reduced time in return for turning you in. Better yet, they commit a violent crime using the Glock, and you are charged as an accomplice.

Don

GeorgiaDon

******I don't understand how requiring a background check on all gun sales is unenforceable.

I have a GLOCK for sale. $500 it's all yours. You give me money I give you gun. Nobody else involved. That's how it's unenforceable.How about, purchaser was ineligible to purchase a gun, they are caught with the gun and cut a plea for reduced time in return for turning you in. Better yet, they commit a violent crime using the Glock, and you are charged as an accomplice.

Don

I don't that would stand up in court or we would have seen precedent setting examples by now.

millertime24

***I don't understand how requiring a background check on all gun sales is unenforceable.

I have a GLOCK for sale. $500 it's all yours. You give me money I give you gun. Nobody else involved. That's how it's unenforceable.

You have more than a Glock for sale, you have problems [:/]

dudeist skydiver # 3105