2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

I think he had a pellet gun and a paint ball gun just to become an obvious police target, so as to get killed as a martyr. Good job he was only injured. Sad it wasn’t by a female LEO.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

I think he had a pellet gun and a paint ball gun just to become an obvious police target, so as to get killed as a martyr. Good job he was only injured. Sad it wasn’t by a female LEO.

And interestingly enough, ISIS seems to be kind of quiet on this one.... why? The guy lived.

nolhtairt

***I think he had a pellet gun and a paint ball gun just to become an obvious police target, so as to get killed as a martyr. Good job he was only injured. Sad it wasn’t by a female LEO.

And interestingly enough, ISIS seems to be kind of quiet on this one.... why? The guy lived.They are not silent about it. At least in our swiss news, they say that so called ISIS claimed this attack by one of their soldiers.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

kallend

Another one, this time in a Church.

Matthew 18:20. "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Had God gone out for a coffee?

That stimulated some thought. First, no where does the Bible state that God will deliver us from physical death. Sometimes He does and sometimes He does not. What the Bible does state is that the true believer is assured eternal life in Christ.

Second, not everyone who attends church service is a true believer. The congregation also contains non-believers and make believers. God can also allow the reaper to pass by them or not.

Third, death for the true believer is a blessing as soul and spirit leave to be with Christ. We naturally try to postpone the big event but when it occurs it is accepted.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

yoink

***Another one, this time in a Church.

Matthew 18:20. "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

That's a pretty distasteful post, Professor.

Mass shootings are what's really distasteful***.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

nolhtairt

******Another one, this time in a Church.

Typical atheistic crap IMO.

Kindly explain why an omniscient and omnipotent God gets a pass on this atrocity in his own house.

kallend

******Another one, this time in a Church.

Mass shootings are what's really distasteful

I find gloating about how God didn't save 20 people from being murdered in a church the day following the attack pretty sick. Just as sick as people making gun rights arguments the day after a vehicle attack.

Stick to discussion of the event and leave the theology out of it.

I also disagree with normiss - I don't think it's typical atheistic crap. It's an unnecessary cheap shot from one person. There are lots of atheists in here who wouldn't say something like that.

yoink

*********Another one, this time in a Church.

Mass shootings are what's really distasteful

I find gloating about how God didn't save 20 people from being murdered in a church the day following the attack pretty sick. Just as sick as people making gun rights arguments the day after a vehicle attack.

Stick to discussion of the event and leave the theology out of it.

I also disagree with normiss - I don't think it's typical atheistic crap. It's an unnecessary cheap shot from one person. There are lots of atheists in here who wouldn't say something like that.

Why is quoting a scriptural belief of the group involved not part of the discussion of the event? The only reason they were in the church is their shared belief which includes belief in Matthew's gospel.

kallend

Why is quoting a scriptural belief of the group involved not part of the discussion of the event? The only reason they were in the church is their shared belief which includes belief in Matthew's gospel.

If someone of faith were asking the question 'How / why did God allow this?' to other believers, that would be a legitimate and potentially troubling conversation for them to have.

For you as an atheist to try and start the discussion makes no sense. You're not actually interested in the replies you'd get and you didn't phrase the question in a way that had any respect or empathy for the event. That means that your motive for making the post was just some form of internet point scoring after a tragedy. THAT'S what's distasteful .

The continued rationalization is simply to try and prove you weren't being an arsehole. It's not working - You were. If it were me, I'd apologise and move on. I'm going to leave this now - if you want you can PM me.

Non believers have as much right to question the insanity of religion as those that believe the insanity of religion.
Either god hated these humans or he loves the insane people with guns more than his own followers.
Might as well get your prayers ready for the next mass killing.
Should be here any day now.
God willing of course.

Kallend's comment, while it may seem smarmy and elitist is a tip of the hat to how exasperating this issue has become when half of the country only responds with hopes and prayers. You really have to start asking what the hell all these prayers are doing when the massacre of the week is inside of a church...again.

Edit: And to your post. Yes, it's still a bit asshole-ish.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Just jumping on the end not aimed at DJL.

When you consider the martyrs of the 1st Century Christian Church, why would rational human beings continue in the faith?

Why does the Christian belief continue in faith while underground in China and Vietnam?

Life assurance does not mean that your body will not die. Everyone is appointed unto death once and then the judgment.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Why do Rohinga Muslims continue to practice their faith in spite of cruel persecution in Burma? Why do Jews in Israel continue with their beliefs despite constant threat from surrounding Muslim radicals? Why do Buddhists in Tibet cling to their beliefs in spite of persecution from the Chinese government?

It's not because their beliefs are correct and God is guiding them in the right direction. It can't be, because their beliefs directly contradict one another.

Driving on with your faith in the face of hardship doesn't mean your faith is well placed, it just means it is yours.

- Dan G

The motive of the mass shooting at the church in Texas is starting to look more and more like it stemmed from a domestic dispute between the gunman and his ex in-laws. And he targeted the church where his mother in law attended. So religion had nothing to do with it. He picked an easy target to exact his revenge. And he was a real fucking asshole. Killed a lot of innocent people for no reason other than to say "fuck you" to his ex in-laws. Sick son of a bitch.

The obvious trolls can leave religion out of this one.

>So religion had nothing to do with it.

Of course not. He wasn't Muslim, so no criticisms of religion are allowed. In addition, he was a white male abuser who had access to guns, so any discussions about restricting access to guns for such people is "too soon."

The only politically correct response is "thoughts and prayers."

billvon

>So religion had nothing to do with it.

Of course not. He wasn't Muslim, so no criticisms of religion are allowed. In addition, he was a white male abuser who had access to guns, so any discussions about restricting access to guns for such people is "too soon."

The only politically correct response is "thoughts and prayers."

No, the new message is "Its a Mental Health issue". All unique to America.

>No, the new message is "Its a Mental Health issue."

Well, perhaps that's an addendum.

Remember, the most important thing in planning the response to any shooting is to ascertain the religion of the shooter, so the politically correct response can be generated.

Muslim: "When will we learn that the ONLY way to be safe is to take action against this threat to America? How many have to die before we DO SOMETHING to stop the 'religion of peace' from slaughtering us all? Build the wall! Ban the Muslims! Extreme vetting NOW!"

Non-Muslim: "There's nothing anyone can do. Thoughts and prayers. Mental health. Too early to talk about it, though."

>Now it's coming out the church shooter was an atheist.

So non-Muslim. In that case, there's nothing anyone can do. Thoughts and prayers. Mental health. Too early to talk about it, though.

Oh, and keep in mind that Hitler was worse. "We have acts of evil taking place, and because they are close in time to us right now, we think this is something heavy right now. But put this in the context of history. Look at what happened with Hitler, the horrific events during that era, and Mussolini." (Texas governor) So really, nothing to worry about; it's not like he was brown or Muslim (or Hitler.)