JerryBaumchen

Gun Control

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

This should get some comments: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/High-court-lets-stand-S-F-s-gun-control-law-6313731.php

Let the floodgates open,

Jerry Baumchen

Yep
after ruling on the DC law, the SC just confused the issue even more[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

That is a horribly written and confusing article.
Apparently it's working as designed though.
:P

While The Supremes have passed on the challenge in the past, I doubt that's going to last given the additional restrictions to concealed carry possibly being enacted.
Personally, I support the secure storage and consequences for incidents occurring with an unsecured weapon, I think I'm one of the few gun rights supporters that agrees with that.
Which I cannot understand.
:S

normiss

While The Supremes have passed on the challenge in the past, I doubt that's going to last given the additional restrictions to concealed carry possibly being enacted.
Personally, I support the secure storage and consequences for incidents occurring with an unsecured weapon, I think I'm one of the few gun rights supporters that agrees with that.
Which I cannot understand.
:S

I think secured and/or locked away when you're not home or when minors are present and the gun isn't directly in your control would make sense. I have no problem with criminal liability for the owner if anything bad happens if you violate those rules. I think I've always used storage laws as an example of something I can get behind as a firearm owner.

However, I think the added step of saying "locked up at all times" is subtle, but is probably a step too far.

The hollow point ammo sale ban is pants-on-head stupid. If you use a firearm to defend yourself (or hell even if you're a criminal and you're off to murder someone with it) it is safer to use hollow point ammunition so it doesn't go through whatever you're shooting at. It's basically the opposite of armor piercing ammunition, which the same people also get worked up about. That I cannot understand. :S

My problem is what do they consider secured and locked away. Most of the portable gun "safes" can be broken into with a claw hammer. Even if it's reenforced its still portable they just take it with them to a place where they can work on it without rushing.

Unless you have a keypad style on your larger 600lb gun safes you are NOT going to work a regular safe turn knob hastily while your door is getting kicked in I guarantee you I have tried under regular conditions as fast as I can and always miss it and have to start over.

Excellent clarification and I agree.

I dislike the digital safes due to the key over-rides in case of dead batteries.
I prefer the bank safe type combination lock, but you have to work through the combination to a certain point in order to get to your weapon with a quickness if needed.

normiss

I dislike the digital safes due to the key over-rides in case of dead batteries.
I prefer the bank safe type combination lock, but you have to work through the combination to a certain point in order to get to your weapon with a quickness if needed.

that is why I disagree with this "locked up at all times" I keep my firearms locked up when not at home or if I have visitors. But at night it is on my nightstand. I would not like to try my safe combo after being woken up in the middle of the night by someone kicking in my door
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

normiss

If you don't have kids, and you keep your guns squirreled a way in your house. I don't see why I should be held criminally liable because some asshole broke into my house and stole them (along with other belongings). Bring kids, and roommates into the equation and that becomes a different conversation I think. Don't get me wrong safes are a great idea. However most of the ones folks have don't take a lot of work to get into.

Let the floodgates open

A real rabble rouser eh?;)

The Supremes fell a vote or two granting "cert" to hear the case.
Besides it's San Francisco, a beautiful city but like the late Robin Williams said, "San Francisco is proof positive that God still plays with an Etch-A-Sketch."

GobbleGobble

If you don't have kids, and you keep your guns squirreled a way in your house. I don't see why I should be held criminally liable because some asshole broke into my house and stole them (along with other belongings). Bring kids, and roommates into the equation and that becomes a different conversation I think. Don't get me wrong safes are a great idea. However most of the ones folks have don't take a lot of work to get into.

"Secured" can mean a lot of things and it doesn't have to mean "in a safe." Keep in mind, for example, in California "in your trunk" qualifies as a locked container for the purposes of transporting a handgun.

And you're right, with safes you definitely get what you pay for.

cvfd1399

My problem is what do they consider secured and locked away. Most of the portable gun "safes" can be broken into with a claw hammer. Even if it's reenforced its still portable they just take it with them to a place where they can work on it without rushing.

Unless you have a keypad style on your larger 600lb gun safes you are NOT going to work a regular safe turn knob hastily while your door is getting kicked in I guarantee you I have tried under regular conditions as fast as I can and always miss it and have to start over.

And a single EMP or CME renders your firearms inaccessible and a real bitch getting them:ph34r:

champu

However, I think the added step of saying "locked up at all times" is subtle, but is probably a step too far.

The hollow point ammo sale ban is pants-on-head stupid. If you use a firearm to defend yourself (or hell even if you're a criminal and you're off to murder someone with it) it is safer to use hollow point ammunition so it doesn't go through whatever you're shooting at. It's basically the opposite of armor piercing ammunition, which the same people also get worked up about. That I cannot understand. :S

When I was in college, I had an assignment to give a speech, and I could choose the topic. I used the opportunity to take advantage of the school's library of state law, in order to learn the state-specific codes on self-defense. (I had previously read Masaad Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme"). There were a couple points I needed clarification on, so I arranged an interview with the 2nd-shift commander on the local PD.

Have you ever talked to a public official and found yourself talking to essentially a public-facing persona that he wears for talking to John Q Public? Well, that was what happened, and I was trying to break through it, when an idea popped in my head. I asked him:

"Are you familiar with Masaad Ayoob?"

Just like that, he dropped the persona, and I was talking to the real person.:D

One of the things he confided in me was that he had successfully fought a departmental ban on hollow-point ammo, using the exact argument you just gave.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Did not know they were susceptible to CME. DEFINATLY another reason to avoid. I sold my browning special edition safe with my house because of the tight crunchy turn dial. My next one will be keypad and standard turn style. One for quick everyday electronic entry, and the other for when it breaks!

Amazon

And a single EMP or CME renders your firearms inaccessible and a real bitch getting them:ph34r:

If you can't break into your own safe in a reasonable amount of time should the lock become disabled due to an EMP* then you didn't spend enough time researching your safe. ;)

*...really?

normiss

Does tin foil have any additional advantages?
Or just aluminum foil?
;)

That is wholly dependent on how you pronounce it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This is my weapon,
This is my gun,
This one's for fighting,
This one's for fun!

Sorry, that's all I have to contribute on the matter. :)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

cvfd1399

It doesn't really matter, now adding a ground to drain the EMP directly to earth is where you get your effectiveness.:D

Mm hmmm
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun