funjumper101

Red Cross - Haiti and half a billion dollars = almost nothing

I stopped donating to all these things after looking at their overhead costs vs what actually gets donated. I would rather pay for a single moms groceries, or do some actual physical work at an elderly persons home than line the pockets of these giant scam outfits.

The way to get rich in America is to start a non-profit organization. Pay fundraisers (i.e., sales staff) a hefty commission, solicit volunteers for any actual work that needs to be done, and skim a good chunk off the top for yourself.

Oh yeah, and, every now and then, throw a bone to the poor unfortunates that you are "helping."
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

The way to get rich in America is to start a non-profit organization. Pay fundraisers (i.e., sales staff) a hefty commission, solicit volunteers for any actual work that needs to be done, and skim a good chunk off the top for yourself.

Oh yeah, and, every now and then, throw a bone to the poor unfortunates that you are "helping."

I believe what you just described was Obamas resume.

Croc

The other way is to lobby government to fund your business as one doing something important.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Fark:
"Red Cross raises half a billion for Haiti...and builds six houses with it.
In other news, Red Cross names Sepp Blatter as new CEO."

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My turn! My turn!

Don't forget about all the helping the Clinton Foundation did in Haiti after the earth quake!B|

Did the donation to the Clinton Foundation reach a half billion? maybe more? Bill got $500,000 a speech you know...

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

If you want to support a charity in Haiti, A legitimate one is Source Of Life Ministries. 100% of the donations go directly to the charity which is a safe home for orphans. I have been a supporter for 5 years and have seen , first hand, the work they are doing. My wife and I traveled to Haiti last year to see the new safe house and meet the children. It was a life changing experience. If you don't like life in the USA, go to Haiti and it will make you look at things differently.

IRC is by no means perfect or particularly efficient. However, when there's a big disaster, they generally already have the contacts, and they've already trained for similar scenarios.

Not on my regular list, but I pretty much always donate right after a big disaster because of that. They might not be perfect, but they're more
Prepared than many others.

How many people think that highly-paid corporate presidents are OK? For a charity that goes across the world, how experienced a CEO is necessary?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree that you cant have a large organization without some professional framework, but Half a billion dollars and six homes??!

Read personal stories about RC here. Its disgusting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/38d5it/how_the_red_cross_raised_half_a_billion_dollars/

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

jgoose71

My turn! My turn!

Don't forget about all the helping the Clinton Foundation did in Haiti after the earth quake!B|

Did the donation to the Clinton Foundation reach a half billion? maybe more? Bill got $500,000 a speech you know...

In all fairness and balance:

There was also a separate Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund, co-founded (with Bill) by George W. Bush, which has been subject to similar criticism.

It's also the case that "Since leaving office, ... former president [George W. Bush] has made more than $15 million in speaking fees, apparently charging between $100,000 and $150,000 per speech." Source.

All of this is deserving of criticism, not just some of it.

may i ask you a question please? (i enjoy reading your posts, always super informative)

is there any kind of audit that charities should pass? is it possible for criticism to turn into financial fraud investigation?
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Suslique

is there any kind of audit that charities should pass?

In the US, charities, more often than not, are non-profit organizations under Sec. 501(c)(3) of the federal tax code. While annual independent audits are generally considered a "best practice" for non-profits to make a record that their finances and accounting practices are on the up-and-up, I don't think that federal law requires such audits, at least in most instances. (Accountants, lawyers, etc. - if I'm mistaken, please correct me.) Some of the 52 US state-level or equivalent jurisdictions might have audit and/or regulatory reporting requirements under their own laws that are more stringent than federal requirements, but I don't know it off the top of my head. FWIW, I've served on the boards of a few small and middle-sized non-profits, and they've always had annual audits conducted by independent auditors (accounting firms).

is it possible for criticism to turn into financial fraud investigation?

Sure. All it takes is for the right people to be willing, or eager, or forced, or effectively left no choice, to do it. This applies to anyone - charity, corporation, bank, politician, government entity, whomever.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Think ya'll love this,American Red Cross Ceo takes home !!??

The second worst offender this year is Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... for her salary for the year ending in 2009 was $651,957 plus expenses. Enjoys 6 weeks - fully paid holidays including all related expenses during the holiday trip for her and her husband and kids. including 100% fully paid health & dental plan for her and her family, for life. This means out of every dollar they bring in, about $0.39 goes to related charity causes.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#POU0EK88t1JfkmQZ.99

UNICEF $0.14 per Dollar of income..

Now that's non-profit... LOL

OOps,
I almost forgot the most important Part of my reply:

A Solution;

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/23/charities-most-efficient-personal-finance-charity-09-efficiency_slide_2.html

GET THE MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK !!
Your personal self interests in others,can be in good hands.
Don't let the bad apple ruin our basket.